1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota body swap 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSneeze
2500 lbs of scrapped shop equipment netted me $150 at the recycle yard. Better than nothing, I guess...
Wow, scrap prices must have dropped thru the floor..... Last time I took a load, in a 14 foot dump trailer, it was almost 300 bucks..... That's been a bit though.... 8 or 9 years ago???

Old 06-27-2024, 02:53 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Steel scrap in Carson City, NV is $130 / ton.

Old 07-05-2024, 03:43 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

I am about to say good bye to my '94 Dakota chassis. A lot of labor went into this baby. Oh well. Better to start over fresh rather than massage this one back into shape. Notice how badly bent the left front frame is near the front suspension, compared to the right side. This one is toast.

I think the engine and 6L80E transmission faired worse, though. Both valve covers came very close to completely melting. Even the water pump started to melt in places. The top of the transmission case started to melt, and the bell housing melted so bad it became disconnected from the engine block. I will get pics of that posted later.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That got REALLY hot..... Of course, it was in a fire.... so, not a big surprise.

Is your insurance going to compensate you for that at all????

Old 07-06-2024, 12:09 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

I may need to get legal representation to get anything for "motor vehicles or motor vehicle related components". They grossly under estimated the cost of tearing down the building, and putting a new one up. I should have all my bids in by the end of next week. Once I get them submitted to the claims adjuster, the negotiations will begin. Just for the demolition, the insurance estimated $4500 less than my first bid.

Old 07-06-2024, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheSneeze
I may need to get legal representation to get anything for "motor vehicles or motor vehicle related components". They grossly under estimated the cost of tearing down the building, and putting a new one up. I should have all my bids in by the end of next week. Once I get them submitted to the claims adjuster, the negotiations will begin. Just for the demolition, the insurance estimated $4500 less than my first bid.
Par for the course I should think. They underestimate anyway, as they really don't wanna pay ANYTHING at all.... and I seriously doubt they have updated their tables and charts to account for inflation over the last year or so....

I have ran up against the wall of 'no coverage for motor vehicles' in the garage as well. Those are supposed to have their own policy, according to the insurance company...... even though it isn't in anything even remotely resembling a 'driveable' condition....... I have no idea how they justify not covering parts that happen to be in the building when disaster strikes...... They cover my tools and equipment, but NOT the hideously expensive parts? Really??

Old 07-30-2024, 07:12 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

The second trailer load went to the steel recyclers today.

Dakota chassis
Bead blast cabinet
3 Craftsman tool boxes (bottom, mid, and top box)
Weld cart
MIG welder (Millermatic 175)
Gantry crane w/chain hoist
Other smaller items.

It's been in the triple digits for a few weeks, making it difficult to get heavy work done at my retired age. But this are moving forward. I finally have a new construction bid. Waiting for one other to get completed. I had to have the plans revised, which took a while (long story, for another time). I hope to have a contractor signed on in the next week or two. Maybe shop 2.0 will become a reality before 2025?

Old 07-30-2024, 07:53 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

IDK what your situation is with the insurance co's but I was just scrolling by and under this thread was the old one where you first started with interior shots of the shop. I figure you might be able to use those to figure out what exactly was in there and maybe even prove some things you do not have receipts for any longer.

Old 07-30-2024, 08:30 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

Since my shop was the first time I designed and built a building, I have a huge amount of pictures. From a spray painted line in the dirt to full completion. Yeah, I have a lot of proof of possession. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2024, 01:15 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

It has now been 5 months since the fire. I am waiting on the insurance to come up with a satisfactory structure settlement. They grossly under estimated the demolition and rebuild (no surprise there!), and I have submitted bids for both proving the building cannot be replaced for what they offered. I am currently waiting for a response, as everything they requested has been sent to them. At this point, my wife and I have hand loaded 10,340 pounds of building debris and steel scrap. To say a full size building leaves a huge mess is a gross understatement! The bids I have submitted are still under the policy limit, so if they put up any fight I already have an attorney lined up. I just hope I don't have to go there. I also have a contractor lined up, and we are waiting for a satisfactory check to start the demo process. This last five months has gone by extremely slowly. I feel it is due to my boredom (no place to work on anything), and the snail's pace the insurance works at. I so just want to move on...

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota body swap 2.0