1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Electric fan??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 08:22 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Well it's not as advertised or confirmed again. The shroud measures 24 x 16 not 27.5 x 16.5.
I sent the Standard guy an email with pics and now I'm going to forget about it for a day or so. Then I'll think about solutions.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:09 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Spoke to the SMP guy and he thought it did not look right. he "investigated" and essentially forgot what we had talked about and gave me the same line RA did about fitment.
So here is a picture. On the left the two ears can screw into that lip. I can get metal to make brackets for the other side. I am concerned about the part of the shroud touching the fins.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this mounting?
EDIT-OK found the video. I figure I'll do something like this. But I am concerned about the direct contact with the fins. Any experience or knowledge there would help. Thank you

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-23-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

So long as it doesn't vibrate around, it'll be good. Don't want it rubbing them thru, so, solid mounting is a must.

Old 05-24-2024, 04:44 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Hours to drill 4 holes in the bars!!. I do not like HF drill bits they get dull too fast and break too easily.
Here is the idea I came up with to mount the fan w/o it touching the fins. The bars are 5/16x1" steel. I had to weld a bit on one end because the fan shroud rises up on the right side and needs to have that side higher to hold it up. I still need to drill the holes to mount the fan to the bars and it is only hand tight as I have to clean it up and paint the bare metal.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Things is, you WANT the fan shroud tight against the radiator, otherwise, instead of pulling air thru the radiator, it'll just pull it thru the gaps around the shroud. It may still *work*, but, it'll be a lot less efficient.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:18 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

Ha! Outsmarted myself again. In my sleep I realised I need to mount the overflow bottle. So I was going to try to figure out how to make the OE shroud fit over everything since it mounts on it. Then I started thinking I wonder If I can mount the fan to the OE shroud??? ahhhhhhh I'll figure it out. Maybe a round fan mounted in the OE shroud would have been better?

Old 05-25-2024, 05:25 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Well I ended up mounting the fan inside the OE shroud. I shook it hard and it is solid. I have it bolted with lock nuts and blue loctite and riveted where I cut it to slide the angle iron into the fans own shroud on one side where there was no shelf to set it on and keep it lined up so that air flowed straight through.
It looks a lot better than it did before I have it and the rad mounted but I haven't wired it up or filled the rad. I'm going to add about half a quart of ATF4 and check it to make up for whatever it lost in the other rad trans cooler.
Edit- Those are steel rivets and the fan is going to be wired to the blue high speed side. the brown wire is the low speed and black is ground.
Edit2-Oh yea the holes for the top mount of the shroud on the new rad were too small for the bolts (about 6mm) that go through to the sliding nut it screws into. And you have to save the sliding nuts from the rad you take out. I had to drill the holes out.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-25-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:47 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Alrightythen......I got her in and wired up and let it warm up until the temp gauge was past 3/4 getting close to H and drove it. It kept getting hotter so I turned to come back home two corners later I noticed the temp gauge was coming down. I drove past the house and up into hills in the other direction. It kept getting cooler so I went across town to the grocery store. It got hotter when I first started it back up outside the store but cooled down on the way home.
My verdict from the evidence of the temp gauge is that even though I have never seen it run from while wired into the system the fan is working.
The kit left a lot to be desired. The female blade connectors both gave up the ghost as I crimped them to the wire. The wire they say to put on the fan power was only about 18 inches long so I had to add like 5 feet to it. The one from the relay to the breaker then on to the battery was so long it probably would have worked. I tried to remove them from the plug to change positions but couldn't figure out which key for removing connectors from holders would work or see what the clip inside looked like either. So I had some 12 gauge red wire and I extended the power wire for the fan.
There was no wire to ground the fan or to ground the hose fitting where the grounded temp switch goes. And this kit did not have the screw for the ground on that fitting. I found one it was M4. I had to cut the one I found in a pack of 3 at home despot. It only needs to be about 5/16" long. I heat shrunk all the connections I made. Put the breaker and the relay between the fuse/relay box on the fender and the wind shield cleaner. I used an existing ground there and grounded the fan to the one I made for the Putco headlight relay on the other side of the engine bay.
So far seems like it works but I haven't taken a long trip yet. Oh yea it only needed that half quart of trans fluid to be at max fill.

On the fan mount I forgot to mention I had to trim the fan shroud so that it fit inside the OE shroud w/o sticking up. I covered the fan and taped everything up with Frog tape and used a straight edge to make a line to cut and it worked out well with a 4 inch grinder and cutting wheel.
Edit I had to come back and bitch about something else. The hose clamps for the hose fitting are of fine shiny stainless and so close a call to fit that any decent plumber would have gone the next size up. I really had to fight them to get them onto the 1.5" hose.One of them was a couple mm smaller than the other and really gave me fits trying to get it started to tighten. I did eventually get them on. But man way too much effort for something that should have been easy peasy.
Here's a picture showing the switch fitting and the red wire on right is the power wire to the fan. I ran it and the two wiress for the temp switch/ground them across the rad like i did the Putco relay.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-29-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:43 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Added a manual switch. I've driven it a couple of times now. This last time through ten miles of hills and curves. The temp gauge stays in the middle. I wonder if the new Tstat wasn't stuck until it opened on that first start after wiring up the new fan? Anyway it is "solved". It being the problem of removing the mechanical fan so you can get the shroud off w/o damaging the radiator. I was replacing the AC clutch when I poked a hole in the radiator.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:00 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 429 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Added a manual switch. I've driven it a couple of times now. This last time through ten miles of hills and curves. The temp gauge stays in the middle. I wonder if the new Tstat wasn't stuck until it opened on that first start after wiring up the new fan? Anyway it is "solved". It being the problem of removing the mechanical fan so you can get the shroud off w/o damaging the radiator. I was replacing the AC clutch when I poked a hole in the radiator.
Call it done.

The following 2 users liked this post by bronze:
onemore94dak (05-29-2024), tndakman (05-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric fan??