1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 3.9 weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Americanplayer99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 3.9 weird idle

every once in a while my truck will idle at 800 instead of 900.but it goes back to normal after like 10 minutes.also earlier my truck was kind of boggin out a lil on acceleration and back fired a lil bit.its fine now but that was not normal.i have already changed the ilde air control sensor.any idea on what it does that.

occasiaonly in reverse my truck kind of like jumps around a bit...its still going in reverse it just seems to act funny.any suggestions

my truck has 143,000 miles on it.any things i should replace to make it run smoother,i have changed the rotor and pickup in the dist.also plugs and wires,upper radiator hose.i have new control arm bushing and sway bar links for it i still have to put on.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:05 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 93 3.9 weird idle

Again, the idle "problem" is not a problem. (Actually, the "book" says idle speed is 800RPM, but, it has, can, will, and does vary.)

As far as the back firing, I will agree that that is not normal. First thing to do: verify the wires are going to the proper cylinders (I know you said you replaced them... just do it again anyways). While verifying the wires are going to the proper cylinders, look at the wires for their condition. Make sure wires are not running close to each other and parallel. There was a TSB out (I had a copy on my computer, but I misplaced it) and it said that when spark plug wires cross each other, they should cross perpendicular to each other (they should form a "T" pretty much). I can't really give you a distance per-say they should be apart from each other, they just shouldn't be really close to each other. The same really holds true with the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor. You might want to pull the plugs and insure they are properly gapped (0.035").

You might try running some fuel injector cleaner (the kind you add to your gas), or do a SeaFoam treatment (just follow the directions on the bottle).

Old 09-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Americanplayer99

i just ran a whole can of seafoam through my truck earlier and it seemed to smooth it out until tonight...my trucks acts as if it misses whiles its running,its a tiny miss but its noticable for sure.as im siting there idleing u can hear it kind of cut out and the truck shakes a lil.i will check the plugs tommorow and see if i notice any awkward damage to it.any other thing u can think of

Old 09-13-2006, 04:56 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Read this. It concerns bad intake manifold gaskets. Yes, the year range for the Dakota is '94-'99, but I would not rule out the possibility.
However, as per the above link, HERE is the TSB I was talking about concerning the proper routing of the spark plugs wires. Check this first.
Post your findings back.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Americanplayer99

my wires look fine according to that.....ill look at that gasket when i get a chance.i work everyday and i need my truck so its kind of hard to go ripping it apart and not being able to get it back together in time....it seems like every once in a while u can hear it backfire in the intake about 25 mph occasionally u hear it pop.when i took my truck innto the dealer along time ago they told me my combustion chamber was pretty sluged up,maybe that its causing it?...how would i go about cleaning that

Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
erock92kota
Professional

The seafoam you ran through your engine should of taken care of that for you.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Americanplayer99

the dealar said it was pretty bad....but ok.also my truck is throwing codes 52 which states

A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor.**

what does that mean and what is the cuase of that?

Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Americanplayer99

today my truck is doing it again,it only happens everyonce in a while.between like 25-35...my truck kind of sputters around a lil and has a small backfire in the intake.it still runs...i dont have any like noticeable signs of anything causing it expect my truck is throwing code 52 and my oil pressure is slighty higher than normal...my truck has 144,964 miles on it.is there any suggetions on why this is happening or what should be replaced soon anywyas.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Code 52 is like you said, "A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor"
Causes for this code could be: a fault in the circuit providing voltage to OR from the oxygen sensor, a bad oxygen sensor heater, the oxygen sensor itself, a bad MAP sensor.
It would not suprize me if the oxygen sensor is fouled up, but, I would solve the engine problem ("the dealer along time ago they told me my combustion chamber was pretty sluged up") before replacing a expensive oxygen sensor that might be fouled up again.
When you replaced the spark plugs, did you notice that they were abnormally dirty?
I don't know really how to actually go about "cleaning out" and engine, but, I would start with running SeaFoam, run it again if you ran it some time in the past.
When was the last time you did an oil change? Before you do an oil change, you could add some SeaFoam or Marvel Mystery Oil (or something that will "clean it out," add this after you change the oil as well). Of course, replace the oil filter. If you couild, I would cut the filter open and look at what is inside there. While you have the oil drain plug out of there, stick a finger or something up in the pan and feel for any sludge or anything on the bottom of the pan. If you suspect sludge, it would probably be a good idea to remove the pan and clean it out. After you do an oil change, pay close attention to the oil.
You should probably consider running some good quality fuel system cleaner (I say fuel system cleaner, not fuel injector cleaner) thru the next few tanks.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Americanplayer99

this is about the 3rd can of seafoam ive ran through it in about 3 months....and it seems to work for a week or so then its back.i havent changed the oil recently but i plan to just for the sake of b/c my oil pressure it gets pretty high.ill check the prices on all of those sensors.yes my plugs were fouled up big time i actually changed them twice in like a weeks period i should check them again actually.....my ehxuast pipe coming out of the muffler is falling over which i have to replace.im sure the cat could be pretty nice,should i get rid of it,what do you think.i have been doing the fuel system cleaner.honestly with all the crap i have been running through it id imagine it should be clean....is there like something to could be cuasing it to get nasty like it is.for instance a bad o2 sensor causing something.im not the richest person but i deff need the truck to last so im kind of willing to put w/e i need to on it.so w/e huntch u have im willing to try it.what all does a map sensor do.im thinking maybe i should just replace that and the o2 sensor and see what happens.where do those two happen to be located.

Quick Reply: 93 3.9 weird idle