1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 AM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking

Hey guys, I have yet another question for you all. I have been hearing a sqeaking noise from the front of my truckmuch similar to what the sound of a slipping belt sounds like in my truck for the past couple weeks and it continues to get worse. Worse meaning it lasts for longer periods of time andgetting louder. I replaced the belt and that hasnt solved the issue. I do not hear it when the truck is stopped and idling. But it can be heard the very moment that the truck starts rolling. Thus, making it very hard to locate and identify. The best thing that I can imagine is that two pieces of metal are rubbing against each other. But I have double checked and everything in the front end that has a grease urk has been greased. Motor mounts look good so I am about at my witts end as it is almost maddening to listen to on some trips. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a '92 dakota, 318, 4 speed auto, 4X4. Thanks for reading and replying.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 AM
gb6491
Rookie
Default RE: Squeaking

Check your break pads for wear. They have atab on them that hits the disc and squeaks when they need replacing. If that isn't it I would check the wheel bearings.
Regards,
Greg

Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
BAnders
Veteran

its probably your idle pully or tensioner pully getting ready to go out. i had that same problem and the idle pully seazed up and the fan belt broke(while in afternoon traffic) the idle pully is the smooth one below the a/c compressor thats about $30, the tensioner pully is below the alternator, not sure how much that pully is. buy the new pullys and some thread lock, that should take care of that problem

Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 AM
BAnders
Veteran

sorry its called an idler pully

Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well I went down to my local autozone and bought the whole assembly. Autozone was the cheapest ($72) and carried the Dayco brand like most of the other vendors around here. I didnt get a chance to put it on last night but today there was a significant increase in temperature and the sqeaking is now gone. Now knowing this, should I still go ahead and replace it?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
BOOMER_87
Professional

sounds to me like you absolutely need to replace the part squeaky things don't ever just fix themselves so if the noise stopped then the part should fail completely,and very soon...

Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well I took the old pulley off and spun it by hand and there was a lot of noise in the bearing. So I installed the new pulley and started the truck to make sure everything looked right while running.

Well, today as I was driving to work you can imagine my great disgust when the sqeaking noise was still there. I honestly dont know what to make of it. Because it wont make the noise when at rest and idling. And it sounds exactly like a belt slipping just a lot more intermittent, almost like morse code. My father said that it sounded like there was something trying to work itself loose from a piece of metal somewhere. Any further thoughts or ideas would be most welcome. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 AM
BOOMER_87
Professional

there are other pulleys on your engine personally I think its more of a wheel bearing thing since it wont make the noise at rest

Old 02-09-2007, 08:19 AM
BAnders
Veteran

you replaced the tensioner pully, did you check the idler pully?check all the other pullys, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering. take a hard plastic tube and put it on a component and listen to it. check your front brakes too, could be the squeak tab telling you to replace the pads[/align]

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Yeah all brakes are fine. They have very minimal wear. The idler and tensioner pulley ( I was told ) are listed as the same part in the parts store. And thats the component that I replaced. As much as the sound comes and goes and when it only make the sound while the truck is in motion I guess I am forced to just wait for whatever it is to finally break and then go from there.

Quick Reply: Squeaking