1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
poslaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights

So this friendly officer decided to pull me over to let me know that I have no brake lights. The turn signals & tail lights all work fine.

Do you think its the brake light switch, if so where is it? I looked under the dash but didn't see it.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
gb6491
Rookie
Default RE: No brake lights

There is also afuse for the brake lights.. Wiring diagrams are located here: http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...3d80113bc2.jsp

Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

If it is not the fuse...

The brake light switch is mounted to a bracket under the dash and about mid ways up the brake pedal lever. It is pretty easy to get out.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 AM
poslaw

ok, the fuse is blown. as soon as i put in a new fuse it blows. there must be a short. like i said the tail and turn lights work fine. do you think a bad brake light switch cause this fuse to short out? thanks for any thoughts you might have on this...

Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 AM
gb6491
Rookie

What year is your truck? (the wiring varies slightly)

If you have a multimeter, disconnect the switch and pull the fuse; then check for voltage oneach side of the fuse holder (measuring from the holder to ground). After determining which side has voltage measure for resistance on the non voltage side (to ground again). It should read open; if not, your problem is in the wiring or fuse holder before the switch. You could also check the switch;with the switch totally disconnected (but still mounted), measureresistance from each side to ground.If you measure less than open on eitherside the switch is bad.

In the absence of a meter, disconnect the switch and try another fuse. If it still blows your problem is in the wiring or fuse holder before the switch. If not, then the switch may indeed be bad (but not totally for sure).

Regards,
Greg

Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
poslaw

its a '92.

Ok I did a few tests. I pulled out the switch. I disconnected the switch. Put in fuse #7 and is blows with the switch disconnected.

So it appears a I have a bad wire from the fuse box to the switch.

Here's my question... can I run a new positive feed into the switch? I noticed there are 6 wires in the harness. Even with fuse #7 out, there is 12V on one of the wires. I assume this leads to the cruise control.

How can I find out which wire out of the 6 of them is the 12V feed from the fusebox for the brakes?

Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
gb6491
Rookie

Go to the Autozone link Iposted earlier and scroll down to figure 19; it's the wiring diagram you need with color codes for the various wires.

Though you could certainly run a new wire from a hot at all times source, it's best to try and find the problem as other wiring might be damaged as well.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
poslaw

i put in one of those fuse taps and added another circuit. i cut the pink wire on the brake switch harness and fed in the 12V. brake lights work fine now!

thanks!

Quick Reply: No brake lights