1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Siggie30- 89' vert build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Siggie30- 89' vert build with a 360

I just (literally) drove back from Nashville to south of Tampa in an 89' vert that I bought up there and wanted to get my thoughts down before I go to bed.
The vert has a good base (read- no rust), but will require some love as the previous owner was not very good about wiring, repairing etc. and I removed about everything that he did, because it was wrong or dangerous. This is the best rwd dodge vehicle that can accomodate.....

The 5.9l magnum base engine that I have been tinkering on for about 9 months (on and off). It has been berry honed, decked, magged etc. etc., I bought a 485/495 cam to go in. I am reusing the rods and pistons and any other thing that are within tolerance. I bought a holley 770 for it, although I think it is a bit much and will probably hurt torque more than anything. I am actively port matching an M1 intake. I have finished porting a set of SP commando heads (aluminum). I have the ancillaries like the alt, a distributor (non-ecu type), blah, blah, blah. So as you can see I am teetering at the cliff of going through the next phase......

I need the following info before I can start:
A: I am using stock type manifolds, so I assume all the pre-92 truck manifolds are the larger ones??? (I only ask as to not have to wrench off a set from a van only to find out they are incorrect), better models to choose from?
B: Will using the V6 exhaust put undue stress on the engine? (yes, I will eventually put a cat back on, but later)
C: Will the stock guages mate with the carb application well? I know the coolant temp will as will the amp, but the oil pressure is vexxing me at this time?
D: Can I definately use the magnum 360 oil pan (from a Ram) without modding?
E: The new trans is an A518. Can I go and pull the bracket from a dakota to use for the mount, meaning that it will "bolt in", or will I have to fab?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Note that some of the questions may appear to be simple to you, but not neccessarily to me. Also to note, is that I am using the standard ignition initially (for carb application). This is my first swap and look forward to comments, suggestions, etc.

Last edited by siggie30; 01-13-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the larger stock manifolds are found on the '92-'93 318 dakotas

Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A. 92-93 have the larger manifolds. But shorty headers will be even better then those.
B. The V6 exhaust will not let the engine achieve its full potential. But it will work.
C. Oil yes, Tach I think so.
D. It depends on how it fits. Can't say for sure.
E. It may not be a perfect fit. The 89's were setup differently then the Magnum years.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
siggie30
Captain

I would think that the stock V8 trans bracket would work as I am 99%+ sure that the frame track would not change between those years. I just do not care for the cut and splice method.

Thanks for the heads up on the manifolds. I will pick them up tomorrow. (I am not against headers really, but am avoiding the associated issues with them at this time- maybe later I will address that).

I started to remove things today, like the whole A/C line setup, the wash can, extra wiring blah, blah, blah.

FYI I am hoping to break 400 ft lbs, so the rear might get some attention as I believe the "lsd" is starting to show signs of age.

Last edited by siggie30; 11-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Post up TONS of picture before and after along the way.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
siggie30
Captain

A few more questions.....

I am sourcing the electric fan, and am leaning toward the Intrepid style, BUT can it be rewired as a pusher (as I have the early short nose)? I am not an electronics expert (I can wire it, but not engineer it) and default to those that are. No A/C going into truck at this time.

Can someone definatively state that the V6 and V8 radiators are the same?
Also, the front frame plate looks different between mine and later years (with the stock v8) as there is a piece of bent metal on mine. I do not mind cutting it (or swapping it out) if the V8 radiator is in fact larger. Searched provided little detail. No V8 radiators in yard to confirm.

Can I hook up the transmission linkage (ie kickdown) to my holley carb (4150 style) with the existing linkage sans the throttle setup?

Are the 91-95 fuse boxes a bolt style or pin style for the hookups (I am thinking of relocating the stock wiring to the engine compartment and they look convenient). I may need to clarify... by bolt style I refer to the factory method of wiring them inside the fuse box. Otherwise, I may get an aftermarket setup.

Aluminum versus steel driveshaft? I do not know how durable the Rams driveshafts are, but they appear adequate for those.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
siggie30
Captain

Starter pics of where things are at.... Pre body work, and pre engine assembly.

EDIT: Wow pic space is very limited here.

Attached Thumbnails Siggie30- 89' vert build-general-exterior.jpg   Siggie30- 89' vert build-magnum.jpg  

Last edited by siggie30; 11-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 AM
ahdoman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished putting a vert cab from a 90 onto my Shelby chassis and here's what I learned;
- The frames between my 90 & 89 look the same. However engine mounts are a little different where it bolts to the engine.
- The Shelby uses 2 fans sandwiched between the condensor and the radiator. They work but there's not a lot of room.
- The radiator from my 1990 V6 is the same as the one from the 1989 Shelby.
- I don't completely understand your wiring question but I believe Dodge used the same connector at the firewall but the pin configurations changed from year to year. As a result all sensors (oil, water temp, etc.) are the same sender info and should work.

Good luck with the project. It's amazing how much better the vert is with a V8.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 AM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by ahdoman
I just finished putting a vert cab from a 90 onto my Shelby chassis and here's what I learned;
- The frames between my 90 & 89 look the same. However engine mounts are a little different where it bolts to the engine.
- The Shelby uses 2 fans sandwiched between the condensor and the radiator. They work but there's not a lot of room.
- The radiator from my 1990 V6 is the same as the one from the 1989 Shelby.
- I don't completely understand your wiring question but I believe Dodge used the same connector at the firewall but the pin configurations changed from year to year. As a result all sensors (oil, water temp, etc.) are the same sender info and should work.

Good luck with the project. It's amazing how much better the vert is with a V8.
Some fusebox wiring use threaded screws and eyes for the wiring, and others use pins. I was curious which the Dakota uses. I do not have the traditional fuse box in the engine bay, but I am sure someone has wired/repaired/ their fusebox and would know. Alternatively, I can just go to the yard and look, but I was feeling lazy.

I deleted my condenser and associated A/C equipment, because R-12 = BAD (I will swap to the R-134 system later), not to mention expensive to refill/service. Plus, it is in the way for now. I am about to swap the dash out so I will address the cab wiring at that time.

Thanks though. Honestly, I would like to relocate a radiator to inside of the core support and run my flex fan, but I have not researched the dimensions enough yet.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
siggie30
Captain
Default tranny bought

Just got back with a A-518 transmission from a 92 Dakota. It was rebuilt, but still clean. Will replace gasket and install a shift kit prior to bolting to the 360 roller (my way of saying 5.9l Magnum with a carb). I would post pics better, but it seems I have run out of room. Perhaps there is a linkeable way? I will post on photobucket or similar and link. The rod linkeages look different, but I think the A-500 will work just fine. Definately a heavier transmission. According to the Mopar Action magazine articles the V6 radiator is fine. Time will tell as usual. I am using the same heads, but mine are pocket ported, matched to the M1 Intake, and I unshrouded them slightly. right at 58cc chambers (after cutting them) if I recall correctly.

Last edited by siggie30; 11-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Siggie30- 89' vert build