1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dakota 3.9 no fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
JoeKeen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 dakota 3.9 no fuel issue

Hi guys I just got this truck from a kid that said he drove the truck until one day he was coming out from his house and it was sputtering so he shut it down and coasted it back into his driveway after that it hasnt started. He replaced a bunch of parts plug wires distributer cap rotor button plugs fuel pump fuel filter and recently the timing chain. someone told him the sound was it was out of time and that was why it didnt start. me and my dad went to look at it and saw the plug wires were on wrong checked everything out we could real quick found it gets fire checked and saw the fuel pump is working the relief valve at the rail squirts fuel out but nothing goes in the throttle body. the kid tried a new computer because he was told that it might not be telling the injectors to open up. that didnt change anything. what can it be thats not letting it come into the throttle body? any ideas of what to try or check/replace without costing me an arm and a leg would be a great help im not a mechanic but i can learn quick and replace anything if i can find it.

Last edited by JoeKeen; 05-08-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Being a 92 it wouldn't have the throttle body fuel injection. It would have the mulitiport fuel injection, each cylinder has its own injector. My best guess for your problem is the notorious splice. Check the FAQ in this section, just a few posts above this one. In there, there is a great write up on it with pictures.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
JoeKeen

My mistake thats what they were calling it was a throttle body as soon as the guy brings the truck here ill check the wiring there hopefully thats all it is would make the job a whole lot easier

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM
JoeKeen

thanks for the help i think the issue was plug wires we checked and made sure it was in time and checked your wire post and our plug wire diagram was 1 off from the one posted here got it to run but it wasnt firing on 4 of the cylinders pulled off the valve covers and had 4 bent push rods its running now but still rough but i can take my foot off the gas for a few seconds and its revving. sounds like its missing still but it was raining and getting dark when we got it that far the wiring splice doesnt look bad. im hoping he just hooked up a wire or 2 wrong when we put it back together ill check tha in a bit.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The four bent pushrods would indicate that there is/was a cam timing issue.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
JoeKeen

yea he broke the timing chain thats why they were bent. Now weve got more probs its running now but only if you constantly tap the gas otherwise it wont idle for more than a few seconds and its running rough the cat was broken inside and rattling real bad i just replaced it hoping that the fumes were just goin back in and reigniting but its still doin the same thing. tried removing the idle air control and didnt make a dif cleaned all the sensors up there they had a little carbon but not a huge amount. my dad thinks maybe the distributer needs moved just a hair to one side or the other just tryin to find a wrench we can fit back in there to loosen the bolt. im pretty much at a loss and dont want to go out and grab 50-60+ dollar parts that arent gonna fix it wish that i knew for sure what it was he said it might be the map sensor or maybe the 2 rods he didnt replace are slightly bent but didnt seem bent when he pulled the others out. I tried to do the diagnostics by turning up the key 3 times and nothing flashes for me. If i get a diagnostic tool what kind should i get and about how much for the cheapest one that would work?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

A diagnostic tool won't do you any good on that truck, don't waste your money. If the check engine light doesn't light up when you turn the key to the "on" position then the bulb is probably burned out. If it does light up then maybe you weren't turning the key properly.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM
JoeKeen

ok i wasnt waiting long enough for the check engine light to blink its a 12 and a 13 which i expected 12 as the battery but 13 is it a bad map sensor then?

Last edited by JoeKeen; 05-15-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM
JoeKeen

installed the new map and at first it didnt want to start after some fiddling it started and idled high then lower for a few mins it was almost 9pm but i think that i need to let it run so the computer can catch up and proces the information to run properly after running like crap for a while. cut the converter off so its loud or id of ran it a while tonight im hoping that was the issue and i can start the bondo and paint not bad for trading from a llama 45 and adding 4 push rods a valve cover gasket a battery and a map sensor and its its only got 118k original miles

Last edited by JoeKeen; 05-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 dakota 3.9 no fuel issue