1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Adding to Coolant Reservoir every 1000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 01:03 PM
Dibbons
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding to Coolant Reservoir every 1000 Miles

Our 1996 Dodge Dakota (one-owner) 4X4 3.9L five-speed now has 299,000 miles on the odometer. Just returned from an 8 day, 3,000 mile round trip from La Paz, BCS, Mexico to Stockton, CA and back. Got about 19-20 mpg on the highway. I noticed that every 1,000 miles or so I needed to add some water to the plastic overflow coolant tank (this has actually been an observation I have noticed in the past several years). I have never found any exterior coolant drips or leaks. My best guess is the head gasket is seeping into one of the combustion chambers, ever so slowly, but who knows? Just thought I would put this out there in case another forum member has experience with such a symptom. Thank you.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:45 PM
Dibbons
Professional

Update: Went out after the Dakota was parked overnight to find a small puddle under the driver's side firewall. The slow drip was falling off a small heat shield (hard to see, but in one photo the tip of a screwdriver is pointing to the corner of the shield where the dripping takes place).

Now, being the fact that the windshield washer stopped pumping some time ago and it is located above the drip somewhat, I removed it first. But I did not find the plastic w/washer tank leaking anywhere.

Then I noticed the heater hoses enter the cab from the driver's side (unusual to find for me, usually they enter on the passenger side). I placed a finger underneath the two hoses where they both enter the firewall only to find my finger got wet. Now that appears to be the source of the leak. Not sure if one or both hoses have failed, or if the heater core which i cannot examine from the outside is the culprit. Hopefully my initial diagnosis/guess about the source of the coolant leak being the head gasket was totally wrong.

Moisture under these two hose.

Won't pump but not leaking.

Heat shield area on driver's side firewall.

Screwdriver pointing to drip point.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

How old are those hoses?

Old 03-07-2024, 03:25 PM
Dibbons
Professional

Hoses are ancient. Looks like the upper hose where it connects behind the alternator is going to be a real bear to remove and replace!

I also tested the wiper washer motor to find it was dead, but fortunately the live wire from the combination switch is providing power to it.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:44 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Those heater hoses aren't too bad to replace. The one by the alternator is most difficult as you have learned. But a little ingenuity and you'll get it off. Hopefully the hose hasn't become one with the rest of the truck. Don't forget to get your clamps on the new hoses before you shove them in the ports. If I recall, the one that goes next to the alternator is a preformed hose...available at RockAuto...at least it was a year or two ago. Think it has that 90 degree bend in it that is next to the alternator. The other hose is just bulk heater hose.

Last edited by bronze; 03-07-2024 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dibbons (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 04:19 PM
Dibbons
Professional

Thanks, got my order in from Rock Auto. Went to Amazon, Ebay, Autozone, and Oreilly websites first, but Rock Auto has everything right there as well as reasonable shipping. Ordered both hoses and the washer pump just to be done with it once and for all.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Don't forget new hose clamps.

The following users liked this post:
Dibbons (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 08:22 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

It would be a good time to do a heater core flush when changing out your hoses. Plenty of vids showing how in the event you haven’t done it before. Just be careful not to use too much pressure. You want to go very light so as not to moosh the fins.

The following 2 users liked this post by bronze:
Dibbons (03-10-2024), tndakman (03-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Adding to Coolant Reservoir every 1000 Miles