1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trans swap question auto to stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans swap question auto to stick

(read the sticky, got 98% of it figured out, read below for the other 2%)

So some time this year I plan on doing a 5 speed swap in my 96, a nv3500. And something occurred to me later night. 3.9, 5.2, 3.7,4.7 etc all have the same bell housing pattern right? So, wouldn't it probably be beneficial to get an nv3500 out of say an 04 3.7 vs one out of my body style?

Reason I would think that is newer vehicle could mean lower miles, and one out a v6 truck would have probably have seen less abuse from the smaller engine and less towing. Ya?

Another question I have, are the crossmembers the same between the auto and stick shifts? I read the sticky for the auto to stick swap on 1st gen and have everything figured out besides the crossmember. Or is there a plate the bolts between the transmission and crossmember? Would it be any different for a 1st gen vs 2nd gen?

Oh, my tcase would still bolt up either way right? It's a 231. Last question, where is the difference in length in the drive shaft? I've read there's a 7" difference, and I've also read there's only a 5/8" difference. Which one is it? If there's a 7" difference, does the transmission and tcase still bolt in the same place? I'm not worried about getting a new drive shaft made. Just need to know. (One way or the other I have to go to the drive shaft shop and have em do something because I swapped in a 9.25 disc brake rear end earlier this year.)

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
(read the sticky, got 98% of it figured out, read below for the other 2%)

So some time this year I plan on doing a 5 speed swap in my 96, a nv3500. And something occurred to me later night. 3.9, 5.2, 3.7,4.7 etc all have the same bell housing pattern right? So, wouldn't it probably be beneficial to get an nv3500 out of say an 04 3.7 vs one out of my body style?

Reason I would think that is newer vehicle could mean lower miles, and one out a v6 truck would have probably have seen less abuse from the smaller engine and less towing. Ya?

Another question I have, are the crossmembers the same between the auto and stick shifts? I read the sticky for the auto to stick swap on 1st gen and have everything figured out besides the crossmember. Or is there a plate the bolts between the transmission and crossmember? Would it be any different for a 1st gen vs 2nd gen?

Oh, my tcase would still bolt up either way right? It's a 231. Last question, where is the difference in length in the drive shaft? I've read there's a 7" difference, and I've also read there's only a 5/8" difference. Which one is it? If there's a 7" difference, does the transmission and tcase still bolt in the same place? I'm not worried about getting a new drive shaft made. Just need to know. (One way or the other I have to go to the drive shaft shop and have em do something because I swapped in a 9.25 disc brake rear end earlier this year.)

Thanks for anyone who can help.
On the crossmember question, I can't say for sure whether your '96 automatic crossmember will work with the NV3500, but if I were to bet, I'd say it will. The mount/isolator is probably what will need to change, if anything in that area. The NV3500 bolts to the rear mount with 4 bolts. Check RockAuto and see if part no.'s for the '96 automatic and V8 5 speed mounts are the same.

The NV3500 is about 5/8"'s shorter than the NV2500 five speed, not sure how it compares to the AX15. I read that the NV3500 is 7" shorter than an automatic, which one(s) I'm not sure, but the 7" difference is definitely in reference to an automatic.

Your t-case will bolt up OK, but you'll need to change out the input gear. 231's used behind manual transmissions have a longer input gear shaft to engage the splines on the output of the trans. Also, since your 231 is from a '96, you'll want to find that long (manual trans) input gear from a '95 or newer NP231. The pitch of the drive gear that meshes with the input gear changed in '95, so earlier input gears won't mesh properly in your '96 t-case.

Last edited by ragged89; 06-27-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Ive done this swap before but I thought Toby knew everything?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

3.9, 5.2, 1995-2001. done

Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
3.9, 5.2, 1995-2001. done
That tells me absolutely nothing.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by ragged89
On the crossmember question, I can't say for sure whether your '96 automatic crossmember will work with the NV3500, but if I were to bet, I'd say it will. The mount/isolator is probably what will need to change, if anything in that area. The NV3500 bolts to the rear mount with 4 bolts. Check RockAuto and see if part no.'s for the '96 automatic and V8 5 speed mounts are the same.

The NV3500 is about 5/8"'s shorter than the NV2500 five speed, not sure how it compares to the AX15. I read that the NV3500 is 7" shorter than an automatic, which one(s) I'm not sure, but the 7" difference is definitely in reference to an automatic.

Your t-case will bolt up OK, but you'll need to change out the input gear. 231's used behind manual transmissions have a longer input gear shaft to engage the splines on the output of the trans. Also, since your 231 is from a '96, you'll want to find that long (manual trans) input gear from a '95 or newer NP231. The pitch of the drive gear that meshes with the input gear changed in '95, so earlier input gears won't mesh properly in your '96 t-case.
Thanks for that. Really I am. Honestly surprised you gave me an answer.

Ok, so I'll just grab a tcase and transmission then as a unit.

The thing I can wrap around my head, is where does the 7" difference come from? Is the crossmember in a different place? The swap thread didn't say anything about it it. But, I just don't see where 7" is lost if they mount in the same place..

Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by volaredon
Ive done this swap before but I thought Toby knew everything?
Dont put words in my mouth I've never said. And don't ever gripe about me ever again, because with this statement you're no better then what you claimed me to be.

I know a lot about these trucks, yes. And will only comment on things I know. Point blank.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
That tells me absolutely nothing.

Sure it does, It answers your question in the same manner you answer others.

Now, if you want to put all of this behind us, and start helping each other in a civilized way, then I say, lets forget about the past and start out new.

Hopefully you will agree with that.

In that spirit, let me elaborate on my answer.

First off I am speaking from experience on what not to do when putting in a NV3500.

I purchased a NV3500 out of a 2002-04? 4.7 dakota.

First off, the pinion mount, this is the mount that goes on the drivers side. It is attached from the motor to the diff. to the transmission. The lower bolt pattern at the transmission is different on the 3.7-4.7 bellhousing. This requires that you weld a tab on, and oblong another hole.
Then after finishing up the install, I discover that there are no mounts for the transfer case shifter.
Currently I am running without the shifter in place.

See this thread for more info. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...t-options.html

And this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...th-nv3500.html

If you stay with a NV3500 out of a 3.9 or 5.2 it will be much easier. I think all of the 3.7-4.7 had electric shift transfer case so you wont have shifter mounts

Good luck

Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Sure it does, It answers your question in the same manner you answer others.

Now, if you want to put all of this behind us, and start helping each other in a civilized way, then I say, lets forget about the past and start out new.

Hopefully you will agree with that.

In that spirit, let me elaborate on my answer.

First off I am speaking from experience on what not to do when putting in a NV3500.

I purchased a NV3500 out of a 2002-04? 4.7 dakota.

First off, the pinion mount, this is the mount that goes on the drivers side. It is attached from the motor to the diff. to the transmission. The lower bolt pattern at the transmission is different on the 3.7-4.7 bellhousing. This requires that you weld a tab on, and oblong another hole.
Then after finishing up the install, I discover that there are no mounts for the transfer case shifter.
Currently I am running without the shifter in place.

See this thread for more info. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...t-options.html

And this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...th-nv3500.html

If you stay with a NV3500 out of a 3.9 or 5.2 it will be much easier. I think all of the 3.7-4.7 had electric shift transfer case so you wont have shifter mounts

Good luck
Agreed. I was an ***. I'll leave it at that.

Ok, good to know. Still stuck on the 7" difference and where it's at.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Let me throw something else at you, and in fact, I considered this, but just flat out dont have the time to work it out.

But, the NV3500 was used in chevy trucks. (but it has a different bellhousing)
I know you have talked about putting a LS motor in your truck.

Have you considered going all out, putting a chevy NV3500 and say a 5.3 in your truck?
FWIW the 4.8 was offered with the NV3500

not meaning to get off topic, but I wanted to ask

Also, never looked at a dakota with a automatic, but the crossmember sets at the end of the transmission on a nv2500 or 3500. IF if the automatic is 7 in shorter, the automatic would have to have the crossmember in a different location.
I can tell you the NV3500 (4wd version) is about 24-25 in. Yours would be 17-18 inches if that is true.