1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Colder AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Colder AC

Yeah it does but these systems aren't very cold to start. Another thing is it is after the a/c has been running for a while. At start up it's the same as it was before.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is cold from start. I never have my fan speed higher than 2nd from lowest setting to keep my cabin cool.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM
mtndewnut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna have to try this wrapping stuff. I have cooling issues as well. It's fine when you going down the road, but as soon as to stop (down here in south Louisiana) is starts warming up. I thought it was because the radiator coolant isn't staying cool enough. (Fan issues) I had thought about getting an electric fan to keep it cooler, but, if all I need to do is wrap an A/C line.... I'm there! Just call me the next wrapping white boy! HA!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm actually hoping with my new fan that it will be even colder.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
VydorScope
Rookie

Will be dropping by a specialty plumbing shop to pickup some of that tar insulation tape. Best insulation to use and can withstand the heat.

So if I were to drop by a store and ask for "That tar tape to insulate with" would they get me the right thing, or is there a better name to use?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Kensai
Champion

I always refer to it as tar tape, I am sure there may be another proper name for it. But at least I think the guys at the counter will know what I am talking about as the tape looks like tape made of tar?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Kensai
Champion

Mtndewnut,

Does your D have electric fan assist for your A/C? wrapping your return lines will help. You may want to check your fan clutch. It may be getting weak turning the fan when the engine is idling, thus why your A/C is not cooling enough when your D is not moving.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to find a electric back up fan for my truck. I bought one but it's TOO big to fit in the front without hitting the front clip when I shut the hood. I measured the distance between the clutch and the radiator and I only have about 1 inch so I can't put one there. Anyone have an idea. I have to get my ac cooler as well as my motor when it's hot outside and the a/c is on.

I did have a big electric fan tho. Anyone have a replacement name, size, and part number?

Old 06-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Kensai
Champion

I am sure there should be plenty of clearance between your radiator and the clutch fan to put in a slim 15 inch fan? Unless the 98 models have tighter clearances compared to the 2000 and newer models?

Otherwise, I guess you should go with that Mark III fan that Indy got everyone tickled over!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
duff73
Rookie

Just wondering if you wrap the lines with an aluminum backed tape, the kind that is used in HVAC, that also has a fire rating and is made for high heat applications, if this would work as well instead of the tar tape. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Colder AC