1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Colder AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C wrap for a 2001 4.7

If anyone's interested, here's my wrap job for my a/c line. Remember, just wrap the cool line.
From the block:
Name:  DSC05039.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  41.0 KB

Block to the firewall:

I used home depot's foam wrap, don't rememeber what size but it was the smallest size they had...LOL...

Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
occupant
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is awesome.

I wanted to do this last summer on our Durango. It is most certainly underhood heat that makes the air heat up when idling. Our truck puts out pretty cold air (40 on the front vents, 36 at the rear) when moving. But it heats up to 80 up front and 50 in the back when idling in 90 degree weather. System's been gone over twice in the last year and it's tip-top. I think wrapping those cold lines will make the difference.

When I finally get around to charging the air in my Gran Torino, I'm doing the same thing. Got more room to work under that hood, too, I can make a tight wrap and tie it off real neat-like. It kinda almost works as it is but 70 at the vents when it's 90 outside is not good enough. Compressor kicks on and there's a low charge in there. I hope I can find someone with real R-12 to top it off. But I'll probably convert and change the filter/dryer anyway. It's a 34-year old car. It deserves more new bits.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, that is one ugly-*** AC line wrap job.

I wrapped mine and other than looks, I saw little to no cooling improvement. I used hi end DEI wrap too.

IndyDurango

Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

I wrapped mine and other than looks, I saw little to no cooling improvement. I used hi end DEI wrap too.

IndyDurango
LOL! Thanks for the input, Indy! Unlike your truck, mine isn't for show! Two kids and alot of time spent in it with them so you do teh math! LOL! I tried teh wrap to see if there was any improvement. There was some but not much like you said. I guess the engineers at Chrysler LLC kinda knew what they were doing when it came to a/c pipework, huh?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
HA!.......LMFAO

I agree with it being a sight for sore eyes. You used the same thing I did but I cut the corners off where they wanted to buckle and fitted them to the cut surface so they where smooth. If you do this you can cover it with that plastic corrugated wire loom availible at NAPA or what ever.

Quick Reply: Colder AC