1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Colder AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Colder AC

The stuff I picked up is aluminum backed and is thick so it will keep the cold in and the hot out. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "tar tape" is also refered to as "cork tape".

M.G. good job on insulating the suction lines! Don't insulate the liquid lines it won't help, it will actually hinder the system. The liquid lines (the ones smaller in diameter and hot to the touch) are generally around 30Deg.F warmer than the outside air in a good functioning AC system.They need to be not insulated because they are giving up heat to the outside airas they are intended to do.The benefit you got from insulating the suction lines besides the reward of cooler air is compressor life. After the refrigerant leaves the evaporator it still has capacity to take on more heat, it's other job is keeping the compressor's temperature under control, by insulating the suction lines you increased the cooling capacity system wide and now your compressor also runs a little cooler than it used to and should live a longer life as a direct result.Good job. I'm gonna do mine too, after I replace a bad expansion valve for the rear evap.

Another type of tape one might consider is header tape, I'm think'n of wrapping my lines in cork tape first and then in header tape to protect the cork tape.I can't think of any type of tape that can withstand more heat than header tape.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:03 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

i just wrapped mine in pipe insulation (59 cents for a peice 4 feet long) and tied wrapped it on the cold side ac really cold (did the same on my caravan years ago) my my d freezes you out

and just in case someone asks (no the pipe insulation did or does not melt) ran like this for 2 months, then just for looks I bought some aluminum duct tape $2 and wrapped all the pipe to make it look nice rater than seeing tie wraps

so for $3 canadian I now have to open the window once in a while to warm up, even my wife turns it off all the time causes it is tooo cold and rolls down the window when it is 90 degrees outside LOL!!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
cesspool
Professional

I just got done working on the AC..............ALL DAY!!!!!!!

I got the new compressor on and pulled a vacuum and charged it last night.

I wrapped the cold line form the Compressor to the firewall and then also the cold line that goes down and under that merges into the top line. I got about 6"-8" down, and couldn't reach anymore. It's a pain where all those lines are against the firewall. I used some 1/4 inch foam insulation tape that has metal backing. Only $4.50 a roll and went through 1 and a half rolls. Then I went over it with this super high temp foil tape. It literally looks and feels like aluminum foil except it is SUPER sticky on the back. I have never seen anything this sticky before. It held to anything it touches like a champ!!! Nothing is going anywhere.

But then I also made a heater core bypass manifold. That made a big difference in the cabin. No warm air at the feet. Very easy to use, kinda pricey though. I just got done with the cold air lines, so I haven't got to test them out yet. That's tomorrow. Hope it helps mine as well as it did Means!

Now, when I finally get my electric fan, I should be roll'n Frosty Style for sure!!! When I put the fan on I'm going to do a "custom" cold air intake Mean Green Style! I always wondered about the "custom" CAI in your sig....Then I saw the thread yesterday....I love Ghetto mods!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I do too, as long as they're cheap (the wife wouldn't have it any other way) and function well I'm all about it. There waws some company on ebay making ramair setups for the newer Rams and I believe the Daks, It is the same concept as mine but it looks refined whereas mine looks ugly. Only $50 too. I wonder if they ever fulfilled their promises to make the same setup for our body style Dak/D's.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

Hey Mike, awesome idea on wrapping the a/c lines... I'll have to go take a look at mine here shortly. One thing you definatley should do though is get the thermo-tech insulating tape & wrap your fuel rails. this will keep the rails from getting heat soaked and heating up incoming fuel. I did this on my ram (along with the cooler) and it helped out some with fuel economy (6% better on the hiway).

Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
cesspool
Professional

Are the fuel rails the 2 black rails on either side of the intake? What all do you need to wrap on them?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yes, you need this, or something similar to it...

http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=10

Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Mean Green
Champion

That looks exactly like the stuff I used on my ac lines Steve.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I'm not too sure how that will hold up on the a/c lines... the condensation will kill the adhesive (sp?)... I went to Home Depot & bought a tube of pipe insulation and tie wrapped it on. time will tell as to how it holds up or if it even helps (it's cool here now... delta breeze). it would be nice to keep the a/c working better in the stop& go traffic... and also when it's over 100 out.

Quick Reply: Colder AC