1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Colder AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colder AC

Well I decided to go out and pick up some thermal tape from Summit to insulate my AC lines. I wrapped up my cold line and I am pretty happy with it, It gave me probably a 10 degree difference and I haven't even wrapped the return lines so for 15 bucks it wasn't a bad investment. I would imagine that if I wrapped the return lines it would hep any thoughts guys???

Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
VydorScope
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Colder AC

AC Lines? Are those the metal pipes that carry the freon?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You only need to wrap the return line (cold line) back to the compressor. For some reason, Dodge decided to hover the return lines from the firewall over the exhaust manifolds. So when this happens, the return line is absorbing excess heat from the engine bay.

I am about to tear off my foam insulation as it is starting to come apart. The adhesive is melting under the high temps under the hood. Will be dropping by a specialty plumbing shop to pickup some of that tar insulation tape. Best insulation to use and can withstand the heat.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Kensai
Champion

Yes, its the metal lines. The return line has changes to a rubber flex hose as you get closer to the compressor. I think this is to lessen the vibration and stress of the lines.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Mean Green
Champion

The rubber hose in mine is closer to the firewall and that is the one I wrapped. I got the right one didn't I? [&:]

Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Kensai
Champion

Forgot to mention that I finally got myself a IR thermeter. scanned the a/c vents with A/C set on high and recirculating mode (Max). Got about 51 degrees! Not bad on a 90+ day. When set on 2 from lowest setting in (Max) mode, it can almost drop to 45 degrees! Coldest ever for my D! Same results for my overhead A/C that feeds air to the back. When using outside air, I was getting around 60 on high and 53 on 2nd from low. I believe these little changes I did contributed to having a cold blowing durango.

1. After having my heater core replaced, it seems my outside airflow nearly matches outside air (vent mode). Before, my vent mode, the air coming the vents were always quite a bit warmer than outside air. (blend door maybe misaligned?)

2. Bought a dashboard cover to completely cover my dash. This tremendously dropped the temperature build up in my D if left outside in the sun for any lengh of time (I have black with dark grey interior so things get hot right away.) I also bought matching interior color seat covers for the front bucket seats. I hate to have my legs with shorts get burned when trying to sit down on hot leather!

3. Tinted front driver's and passenger window to match the rest of the windows on the Durango.

4. Insulated all the exposed metalreturn line (cold line) back to the compressor. As you will notice,the factory routed the metal return linesfrom firewall and thenhovering over the exhaust manifold. They should have routed the return lines along the fender well to stay away from thehot engine as much as possible.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Kensai
Champion

You have rubber hoses? Interesting then. But then your D is a 99 model so I don't know if the A/C orientation is different then? My return lines are aluminum metal. On mine, you will see where both the return lines come out of the firewall and join to a single line and then that single line goes back to the compressor.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Nope mine is a 00' and it isn't the whole hose just about where it gets up closer to the airbox. the rest is metal.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Kensai
Champion

I'll have to take a snapshot of my lines then. I know from the firewall up to halfway toward front of engine, is all metal, then it changes to rubber flex, then change back to metal for the last few inches and then compressor.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 PM
VydorScope
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mean, you got a TEN degree drop from just wrapping the lines?!? That seems HUGE.

Quick Reply: Colder AC