1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

#&*@*!$ Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default #&*@*!$ Oil Pump

Well simply pulling out some old shrub trunks. Most of the time I didn't even hit the gas, but on a few I did. [sm=escape.gif]

Well I don't like it when my truck gets to 210* F. When it does I hit the throttle and hold it until it drops. This only happens when the a/c is on and not moving for a long time. Maybe the radiator needs reversed flushed but I don't care about that right now. So I finished and I noticed that the temp had came up again. This happenedone time before about 10 to 15 minutes earlier. So I held down the throttle to about 2000 RPM and was cooling back down for about 15-30 seconds and I heard the chime. I look down and it say's (check gages) so I look over and no oil pressure. I mean NOTHING! It bottomed out completely. I shut the motor off immediately. Left it for about 10 min and tried start up. Nothing! No oil pressure. Grabbed a flash light and look at the filter yes it is a Fram Tough Guard. It has rubber on the outside so you can get grip to help take off the filter. Well it is all bubbled up like removing paint with a chemical. I touch them and they are very hot and push right back out. The can is very hot!
Now correct me if I am wrong, oil is pumped through the pump into the main bearings up to the wrist bearings then to the head and drops back to the pan. Where in this cycle is the pressure switch? Is it possible to just have a filter plug off entirely causing no pressure to be seen? I just don't see one just go to crap with no warnings. Any other ideas?
I'm throwing a different filter on tomorrow in hopes. If it fails, I just warranted a now hi-cap oil pump.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: #&*@*!$ Oil Pump

Ouch! Good luck with that one Hydra, I guess it's better than a tranny like Ken though.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Very true Green. I'll hit on it this morning. I have a POS filter I saved from over a year ago for a crapy day. I think I'll try it.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well the oil filter was completely plugged off. I replaced the POS Fram TG16 filter with a crapy filter and drove it down and had the oil changed out by my shop I go to. I told him about the problem and he double checked it all. I E-Mailed Fram and called them about the problem. We will see what happends.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Durango911
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That weird...you should have still had some oil pressure. Was there any metal shavings in the oil? Made me think of a spun bearing when I first read this post.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess it may be the pump going out also if replacing the filter does not address the zero oil pressure!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No shavings.
Oil pressure is back in full. Remember that the oil doesn’t get to the sensor unless it goes through the filter first. Plugged filter=no pressure. Replaced filter and no more problem! Also flushed the system. Hope my lessons help others. I still can't figure out why the relief valve didn't open?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Mean Green
Champion

No more Fram for you I guess huh Hydra? [&:]

Old 08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Durango911
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get the mobil 1 filter.I didn't know that a filter could cause "0" oil pressure. I thought it bypassed the filter when it gets clogged/full. I learned something new today. Glad your truck isok.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah no kidding, had that happened to someone who doesn't think to well on their feet it may have cost an engine.

Quick Reply: #&*@*!$ Oil Pump