1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
yupper50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

99 Durango- 5.2, 89,000 - w/remote starter.

Heater, including blower and dash lights to switches are operating intermittently, particularly when on rough road, bump, etc. I tap parts of the dash and the power will come back, sometimes. The rest of the dash lights, including radio work ok.

Parked the car, and the heater, etc didn't work, turned the headlights off and the heater lights etc came back on. Turned the car off and the radio and heater/blower lights stayed on. Played with ignition and was able to get lights to go out.

Several months back, my xm radio, plugged into the lighter would go out, but come back on when i wiggled the connection at the lighter and it would re-power.

Weird!! any suggestions
Ron

Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Phager
Default RE: Electrical Problem

The first thing I'd do is pop the center portion of the dash out and make sure the harness(es) to the heater controls and lighting are secured. While you're at it make sure that all the pins in the harness(es) are fully engaged. Due to the fact that vibrations cause and fix the problem it sounds very much like a loose connection.

Hope this help!

Pat

Old 12-09-2007, 12:41 PM
yupper50
Default RE: Electrical Problem

Thanks Pat
I was thinking/hoping along those lines.
Will let you know.

Ron
Escanaba,Michigan- Sarasota in ten more days- yes!!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
yupper50
Default RE: 1999 Durango Electrical Problem-Solution Near

Took the dash covers off and checked all connections, reassembled. Started vehicle and turned instrument/dash lights on, ok so far.
Started to put glove box in, wiggling to get in, dash lights really dimmed. Hmmm[:@] did this several times, same results. Lightly tapped, then pressed on the lower dash cover to the right of the glove box opening and the dash lights really went dim
Obviously there is some kind of connection running under the panel but too late tonight.
Getting closer, I hope

Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Phager
Default RE: 1999 Durango Electrical Problem-Solution Near

Hmm, It's starting to sound like a loose ground connection to me, especially since the lights went dim when wiggling the glove box in, that's a hallmark sign of excessive resistance in the circuit. I'm not sure of the wiring layout of the pre '01 Durangos but I'll bet that there is a ground wire running over to the passenger side kick panel are that's worked itself loose.

If I can remember I'll pull up a wiring diagram at work tomorrow and see if I can find out the location of the grounds for the dash lights for you. Alternatively you can dig around and verify all the ground leads are nice and tight (and clean).

Pat

Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
yupper50
Default RE: 1999 Durango Electrical Problem-Solved

1999 Durango SLT - 5.2

Took (hidden/next to glove box) electronic box out, removed mesh from wiring harness to look for break/pinch in wires, nothing!
What the hell[>:] tapped on panel dash next to glove box, same ole! lights dimmed, blower cut out. Hmmm[:@]
Pulled passenger side kick panel back to check for wires, felt around, ouch[:@] touched something real hot.
Took kick panel off and touched bolt and sarated edged washer holding metal support to body for dash panel. Wallah[sm=happybounce.gif] real hot and backed out 1/4 in.
Retightened and good to go.

Why was the bolt so hot, no wires attached? the main ground?

Hope this can help someone else, as it caused many different symptoms, including: turning the ignition off and some dash lights staying on. Battery draining after a couple of days.
Ron
Escanaba, Michigan

[IMG]local://upfiles/79762/41912705B0974799B28E414163481AB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/79762/5E62F8374FFF44A8B0B802C9A8A23228.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
gleaker

I don't know a lot about electrical issues but one of our headlights is out. We changed the bulb and the pig tail and all and it still doesn't work. Everything works on the other side though so we know the bulb and pig tail work. We have checked to make sure there is current going through the lines and there is but as soon as you plug a bulb in the current stops running through the lines. We are thinking it is possibly the switch cause the relays and the fuses seem to be good and all. We have stumped everyone with this problem so far and could really use some help.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
gleaker

Oh, I forgot to mention that it is a 2003.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
yupper50
Default RE: Your issue/Moderator disclaimer

can't say i am familiar with the complicated electrical issues you have.
But to ensure you get some one that is knowledgeable or is familiar with you issue, read the disclaimer that was just posted by the moderator.
Good Luck
Ron

Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Phager
Default RE: Your issue/Moderator disclaimer

Ron,

That very likely could be a ground lead, I have seen that style before. The reason it was so hot is because the screw was backed out so far it lead to a great deal of resistance, and resistance generates heat, it's the same reason that a light bulb gets hot. The energy needed to get across that resistance is released as heat.

Gleaker, I would check the ground for the non functional headlamp first. As I recall, the '01+ (and probably the '00-) have seperate grounds for each headlamp, while the high/low beam power leads are common to each other. This rules out the switch since the other lamp is functioning correctly. If that fails, then check the power leads for damage from the non functional headlamp back to the connector where the other headlamp ties in. You could also try swapping bulbs to verify that the bad lamp isn't the problem.

Good luck!
Pat

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem