1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Update! NV 242 HD

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transfer Case Update! NV 242 HD

Ok I just got some great info on the NV 242 HD case.

I wanted to get some better info on this after talking to durangoguy16 on the transfer case and WOW did I ever!

Ok here we go. The case DOES NOT have a clutch system inside it. It has something better. There is a coupler inside that acts like a differential. It allows slip while in 4 HI but locks in 4 PT HI. This unique case has some great functions however.

While in 4 HI position it can transfer power from front to rear. For instance, if you were climbing and a front wheel leaves the ground the transfer case (while locked in 4 HI remember) can send all available power to the front end allowing the off the ground front wheel to spin and the rear wheels to not move via the coupler. Strange hu.

4 HI is for driving on snowy roads for added traction. I don't like this position now because of thiscorrect information.

4 HI PT or (Part Time) is for added traction because it locks the drivelines together via the coupler. In this position if a front wheel or rear wheel leaves the dirt to other wheel will pull it through. This is only for part time use! This selection will cause axel bind on dry roads or hard surfaces. Care should be used when using this position.

The other question I had regarded the problem we have with the 4X4 not disengaging. This is caused by small amounts of axel bind. If you raised the vehicle off the ground and disengage the 4X4 back into 2 wheel drive HI the front tires will turn about 1/2 a turn. Because of this small amount of axel bind, the mechanical transfer case does no want to come fully out. The best way do disengage the T-case to back up and turn the wheels PERIOD! This releases the bind allowing the T-case to disengage. Now he stated that after driving for a while it will come out. I am not going to take that chance. Gas is too high and I want NO problems!

Since the last position that the transfer case goes into is PT before 2 HIthis is why the problem occures.

Now all this information came from one of the best in the industry. These guys build perfect 4X4's including custom and super mod.

Advance 4 Wheel Drive
1102 S 200 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Phone: (801) 521-2334

Talk to Randy the owner.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Corrado2nr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i know this is a very old post but I wish i found this thread last week .. My 99 durango 4x4 was making a clicking sound after the last time i used the 4x4 and i guess its because the 4x4 did not disengage all the way.

SO im on I-95 from JacksonvilleFL heading to my dads in Savannah Ga w/ a empty 16 ft tandam axle trailer in tow cruise set at 75mph and BOOOOOM BAANG SMOKE !!!

I pull over have a look and my transfer case has EXPLODED into about 5 large pieces and my skid pans cought most of the cunks of transfer case and i think most of the trans fluid burned off on the exhaust and coated the trailer and cars that were around the back of me when it happen.

So now I need a new transfer case and now this time ill know how to make sure it disengages all the way.

pix are on my facebook david dimattia

Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Rookie

is this a problem with all tcases in durangos or just the 242? i beleive i have a 231, i dont have teh part time option on my stick, just 2wd, 4hi and 4low

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The main issue is with the NV242HD however I have seen issues with other T-cases as well.

The main thing I would do is after switching out of 4X4 on dry surfaces is reverse and turn the wheel just to make sure. You should be able to feel engagement of the T-case when turning sharp on dry asphalt if it hops. If so ensure that you do the reverse method just to make sure.....My 2 cents!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so the other day we had snow and i decided to try out the 4x4. ever since i did i hear a sound like gears winding up after i hit about 25mph so im guessing that im stuck in 4x4 as my fuel mpg's are suffering dearly. I have tried backing up and turning the wheels and i have made sharp turns to verify the 4x4 is engauged... so, i ask is there anything else i could try to see if i can get this thing back in 2wd? i have stoped driving it mainly because im scared of blowing something up.... is it possible that someone never checked the gear oil and that its so low that it can't shift back to 2wd?

Keep in mind that i have only owned my D 6 days... it's a 98... anyways i'll wait to hear responses and thanks in advance....

Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

ok so just an update.... i checked the gear oil and she sucked down about 1/2 bottle .... shes def in 4x4 and after filling up the gear oil i tried backing up and moving the wheels again and shes being really stuburn... she won't go out of gear....

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old_School
ok so just an update.... i checked the gear oil and she sucked down about 1/2 bottle .... shes def in 4x4 and after filling up the gear oil i tried backing up and moving the wheels again and shes being really stuburn... she won't go out of gear....
I'm experimenting with a new train of thought on shifting this case back into 2WD. Check out my posts toward the end of this thread, give it a try, and post back and let us all know if it works for you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-the-deal.html

There's nothing about trying it that could do any damage, and it may possibly (I'm not sure yet) be a simpler way of shifting this case reliably.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-11-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
I'm experimenting with a new train of thought on shifting this case back into 2WD. Check out my posts toward the end of this thread, give it a try, and post back and let us all know if it works for you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-the-deal.html

There's nothing about trying it that could do any damage, and it may possibly (I'm not sure yet) be a simpler way of shifting this case reliably.

interesting.... i try it what do i have to loose?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old_School
interesting.... i try it what do i have to loose?
What do you have to lose? Well, worst case scenario is you waste 10 minutes and end up exactly in the same spot you're in now.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
What do you have to lose? Well, worst case scenario is you waste 10 minutes and end up exactly in the same spot you're in now.

lol.... i already lost that a few times

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Update! NV 242 HD