1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How to improve MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
sukhachima
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to improve MPG

Hi, I am new to the forum. I just got a 2002 Durango 4.7 liter 4 speed automatic. I am looking for simple ways to improve fuel economy. What would be 5 simple ways to improve MPG's without dropping a boat load of money into it? I know there are products out there like the tornado or the turbonator, but don't know anybody that's used them or even if they work or are a gimmick. I have heard K&N filters work, but haven't really heard anything else. I appreciate any responses.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
mr_president
Default RE: How to improve MPG

i am not an expert by any means, but other then spending money on air intakes and exhausts and what not, the best way to improve your mpg in my opinion is just proper maintenance. You can invest in a K&N air filter, not going to be a significant amount of improvement, but will help some and will save you money on air filters in the long run. Also make sure you change your pvc valve (approx once a year or so), cheap and easy to swap, you can get one for 10 bucks or less. Changing spark plugs and wires, clean injectors, proper tire pressure. And the number one way isin the way you drive, driving like grandpa helps a lot haha. But remember you're driving a durango, no such thing as good gas mileage.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 PM
jeff66
Rookie

A K&N filter is gonna cost about 50-55 bucks at autozone.K&N says clean no more often than 15000 miles. This is from the cost of cleaning verses performance increase. Cleaning more often will not hurt. Their web site says up to 50,000 miles but thats too long for me. The recharge kit is 12 bucks and does at least 2 cleanings for me. Over 5 years this is gonna cost91 bucks for the filter and 3 cleaner/oil kits. Now if I see just a 1 percent increase in mpgs at the current price I'm looking at saving 40 bucks a year in gas cost, thats about109 in my pocket over 5 years and I'm takin better care of my motor.Over that same time I would have spent a minimum of 80 bucks in paper with no savings in gas. K&N says 1 to 4 increase in HP with the oem filter and 12 HP for their intake kit. So in my opinionthe K&N is a good way to go.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: sukhachima

Hi, I am new to the forum. I just got a 2002 Durango 4.7 liter 4 speed automatic. I am looking for simple ways to improve fuel economy. What would be 5 simple ways to improve MPG's without dropping a boat load of money into it? I know there are products out there like the tornado or the turbonator, but don't know anybody that's used them or even if they work or are a gimmick. I have heard K&N filters work, but haven't really heard anything else. I appreciate any responses.
You have a MFI motor. Products out there like the tornado, turbonator, magnetic fuel boxs, and other is just crap . The MFI motor doesn't utilize the art of carboration. Carborated motors increase using these products only.

The best thing just proper maintenance. Now if it were me and my 4.7L this is what I would do.

1. Tube cold air into the intake tube from the front of the vehical between the head lights and radiator. AKA real cold air intake.
2. Buy a K&N drop in filter.
3. Replace spark plugs with OEM Champion Plugs, Champion Truck Plugs, or Champion Iridium plugs. Gap correctly. Do not use anything else including Platinums!
4. Change over to Fully Synthetic oil.
5. The most important: Keep your foot out of the floor board.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
sukhachima

Thanks for the response. How do you actually tube cold air into the intake tube? I am not sure I follow or what I need to do or buy. Can you please explain? Thanks

Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Open the hood. On the passengers side there is the intake tube to the air cleaner box. From here it goes into the Throttle Body.

If you make an incision in the rubber between the passenger side head light and the radiator you can take the intake tube from the air cleaner and pipe in cold air from the front of your truck. Thus no hot air from the engine cavity enters giving you a huge boost. Not to mention it becomes a ram air. Force from air while going down the street will force into your air box and right into the Throttle Body increasing power and performance. More power less fuel if you keep your foot out of the gas.

Here is some info in the links.

RE: Custom made Front RAM air intake
or
RE: Homemade Ram Air!

You can do a search using the tool at the top of the page or here Searchand look in 1st Generation Durango area under the subject *ram air*

Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Justin_98Durango

Well it looks like I will be going to the hardware store. I think I might try to do a complete set-up from the fender to the tb. I will let you know how that goes, and get some pics of it. I will try to utilize PVC or something like that to keep heat down as much as possible on that long of a run.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wished I was part of the elite Durango groups that gets anywhere from 18-21+. I have a coworker that has a AWD 99 Durango SLT+ with a 5.9 and 3:92 gearing and he gets 18-21 on the highway. I get around 13-15 mpg on highway.

Wished I had some type of computer program that can capture the programming of the PCM so I can take a peak at its programming and compare it to mine. I am pretty sure that there is some magic setting there that gives these great mpg numbers!

Definitely be riding my D again if I can get that kind of MPG's.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
DLL66
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get around 15-16 in town and 18-19 on the high way. I have an 03 4x4 SXT with a 4.7.

I have the K&N cold air intake kit. Tell you the truth, I didn't see any improvement. The only thing that changed is that it is sure a lot louder when you get on it. You can hear the air sucking into the engine.

The following users liked this post:
WormsDurango (03-03-2020)
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are the big brother Durangos with the 5.9's. Someday hopefully soon, I can figure out why my buddy gets so good of a gas mileage with the near same hardware as mine. His engine is running in peak condition and he really takes care of his D.

I can only wish!

Quick Reply: How to improve MPG