2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's the best option for trouble-free replacement steering box for 2nd gen trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 11:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 317 Likes on 299 Posts
Question What's the best option for trouble-free replacement steering box for 2nd gen trucks?

Does anyone know who makes the best replacement power steering gearboxes for 2nd gen trucks these days? I know reman'd steering gearboxes are a crap shoot at best. I'd like to replace it once and be done with the job.

Old 06-07-2024, 06:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Wasn't there a thread hear that listed a new steering gear?

Old 06-07-2024, 08:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Used to be RedHead, or Borgeson, but, I don't think either of them make boxes for 2nd gens any more. There was also the blue-top, a newcomer on the scene, and there is a thread about them around here somewhere...... I don't know if those are 'new', or just a different brand of re-man. The cardone/dorman/et. al. boxes at the local parts stores are truly hit or miss.... You may end up with a "new" box, that is worse than what you are replacing.....

I *think* there are rebuild kits available...... Not sure how successful folks have been with those.... and I wonder if just taking the box out, re-doing the two adjustments, and reinstalling would be just as effective......

Old 06-07-2024, 08:33 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Used to be RedHead, or Borgeson, but, I don't think either of them make boxes for 2nd gens any more. There was also the blue-top, a newcomer on the scene, and there is a thread about them around here somewhere...... I don't know if those are 'new', or just a different brand of re-man. The cardone/dorman/et. al. boxes at the local parts stores are truly hit or miss.... You may end up with a "new" box, that is worse than what you are replacing.....

I *think* there are rebuild kits available...... Not sure how successful folks have been with those.... and I wonder if just taking the box out, re-doing the two adjustments, and reinstalling would be just as effective......
Blue top is reman too. Supposedly better than redhead these days.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:02 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by Moparite
Wasn't there a thread hear that listed a new steering gear?
I recalled seeing it, but I can't seem to find it. Besides, now seems to be a good time to revisit this topic, since providers seem to keep changing/dropping out.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Rock auto sells new Lares units. I believe the comment was that Saginaw hasn't made parts for these boxes in decades, so who knows where the parts are coming from, could be old reject stuff.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:06 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Question

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Rock auto sells new Lares units. I believe the comment was that Saginaw hasn't made parts for these boxes in decades, so who knows where the parts are coming from, could be old reject stuff.
Has anyone purchased one of the new Lares units and been happy with it's performance?

Old 06-07-2024, 12:39 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd like to know how the reman companies rebuild these, I've looked for the past hour for a Steering Gear Complete Rebuild Kit and no joy, I just see the reseal kits.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
I'd like to know how the reman companies rebuild these, I've looked for the past hour for a Steering Gear Complete Rebuild Kit and no joy, I just see the reseal kits.
Very few of the internal parts get replaced.... which is why the reman units uniformly suck. A couple of the 'big name' rebuilders would actually replace some of those parts, and make some improvements while they were in there... but, the newest of these trucks is working real hard on being an antique, so, the market for them is kinda dryin' up. Even though I still see a fair few of these guys on the road, even here in the rust belt.....

What would be nice, is if we could find a NEW, BETTER DESIGNED steering box for these trucks, but, that is a pretty forlorn hope...

Old 06-08-2024, 07:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Either that or new replacement internal parts that wear. IF you can get your hands on a used box with low miles that would be better than most of the remans. The remans have worn gears that they just reuse. I poked around and did find a # for one of the gears but not the other. If by some chance you could find either nos complete steering gear or the internal gears would be the way to go. #3 is one of them. The image below that shows them both(sector gear and ball nut rack)

Quick Reply: What's the best option for trouble-free replacement steering box for 2nd gen trucks?