1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Thinking about an exhaust setup, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
daddy_bear_21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about an exhaust setup, looking for advice

Ok, I am possibly going to be needing to replace the cat on my rig, at which point I am thinking of having the exhaust rebuilt. I am looking for advice on what muffler to use. I am thinking flowmaster, but which one? I want an aggressive sound, but not something that will kill our ears inside the cab. I have a 4x4, and am looking for a setup to provide the most ground clearance. would to recommend a set of tips, or maybe dumping it? I like the tip look personally, but dont want them to get in the way on trails. I want something that is going to sound good, but at the same time, look good. I had several setups on previous pickups I've owned, but I've never owned an SUV, so I am not sure what looks good. I had pipes that exit behind the rear wheels, in front of the passenger rear wheel, and at the corners of the bumper, but I am not sure how these would look on this rig. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Bear

Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Joeecko
Default RE: Thinking about an exhaust setup, looking for advice

I have mine coming straight out the back,went to a flowmaster muffler 1in 2 out to the rear.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 AM
daddy_bear_21

I dont know that I want them coming out the back, never been a fan personally, and to me it would seem to cut the take off angles. I am looking for something that wont impact off road angles or ground clearance. I am thinking about dumping it after the axle, or running it out the side somewhere.

Any pictures?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 AM
daddy_bear_21

What are yalls thoughts on high flow cats, should I add one on this, or stay stock? I am likely going to replace that while having the truck on the rack. I am not sure which muffler I am wanting to go with yet, still looking into that...

Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I run the 24 inch MagnaFlow. It is 3" in and 3" out. I love the sound. Low and grunts. I don't like the louder ones like Flowmaster. If you want louder than the 24" MagnaFlow also makes a 20" and a 16" I believe. I really don't like the sound of Flowmaster. I've never heared one I like. I like the sound of pure raw power not a sound that just makes a statment.

The 24" I have I can go hunting in and not scare off the animals. When I open her up she really comes alive. People always stop and look.

As for a high flow cat; I would do it. There is two 2 1/2 pipe (I think thats right) that comes strait out of the manifolds and Y together. Then the Y goes into the cat. Tell the mechanic that you want to have the single port that comes off the Y to be 3" and go strait into the hi flow catat 3".Then 3" the rest of the way out.

People just cut out the cat and install a cat that has a 2 1/2 (or what ever) incomming and a 3" outgoing. This chokes the true 3" exhaust. You want the pipe from the Y and including the Y to be3". MagnaFlow makes a Y pipe for this install. They might need to order it.

This will be just like adding headers in a sense of flow. Then if you ever want to add headers latter down the road there will be no backpressure from the Y. I do not recommend them unless a turbo is installed. You do want some back pressure or you can burn a valve.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Oh,

As for the dumping of the exhaust. I see what you mean for angles, but I would recommed dumping out the back.

If you are woried about angles, than install a large Skyjacker 6" lift. Then you might have room to dump behind the rear wheels.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
daddy_bear_21

you mention 3" exhaust all the way back, what size pipe should I run with a dual system? I am wanting to run a 1 in 2 out muffler, should I go down to 2.5" after the muffler?

As for the Cat, you recommend replacing the "Y" pipe, and cat at the same time and running a 3" cat? I want to make sure I have this right, so that when I go to the shop to get this priced out, I will have all my info.

Thank you in advance,

Bear

Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: daddy_bear_21

you mention 3" exhaust all the way back, what size pipe should I run with a dual system? I am wanting to run a 1 in 2 out muffler, should I go down to 2.5" after the muffler?

As for the Cat, you recommend replacing the "Y" pipe, and cat at the same time and running a 3" cat? I want to make sure I have this right, so that when I go to the shop to get this priced out, I will have all my info.

Thank you in advance,

Bear
Bear,

Two---2 1/2 pipes after the muffler with an intake of 3" should be fine for your D.

As for the cat. Yes you got it right. Like I said MagnaFlow sells one. It is a lot better than tring to have one made. The incomming from the manifolds are 2 1/2 each side and come out at 3". This allows better flow because the contact point of the gases are in a 3" chamber. From here you attach the 3" intake and 3" exhaust CAT into play. Then 3" to the muffler. Remember they will have to weld new 02 ports on. Sometimes they will bitch because it is a lot more work. But if you are paying for it get your moneys worth.

Like I said this is the only way to get true 3" exhaust.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an exhaust setup, looking for advice