1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hauling a boat that's over the towing capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:35 AM
jaysquared
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling a boat that's over the towing capacity?

My Durango comes with the 4.7 L motor, 3.55 axel ratio, AT, 4x4 and 91000 miles on it. I believe it has the factory towing kit on it but not for sure. I am looking into buying a 24 foot boat that probably weighs with the trailer 6000 lbs DRY.. I know my towing capacity according to the manual is 4500 with my setup. You guys think I would be able to tow this boat with my Durango? If so I know i'm going to be putting a lot of wear and tear on powertrain and plan on just taking it easy on the inclines. The boat trailer has surge breaks on them so I'm not too worried about declines. What i'm really concerned with is going up a hill and the trailer swaying.. I know I should've just gotten the 5.9L but the deal on the durango I got was too good to pass up.. I would like to get some suggestions on current owners who have hauled something they knew was over their towing capacity.. thanks

Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 AM
United1
Professional
Default RE: Hauling a boat that's over the towing capacity?

I'll give you my opinoin based on my experience with the same Durango setup that you have, except no tow package. I installed a hidden hitch and a trans cooler before towing with it. Same axle ratio, 115K miles. I tow about 3000# boat/tailer/gear, plus, don't forget this, the gear and people inside the car as well. I couldn't tell you how much weight inside, but outside,as I said, around 3000#. The 4.7, 3.55 does fairly well, not outstanding, but does OK. She works hard, especially from a stop or up an incline. It is a boat, so, I am usually towing in 90 degree weather, AC on, etc. Brakes get hot, AC compressor running, Clutch fan running, all takes its toll and reduces available power. I have not had any concerns when towing, but I do take it easy with it because I know that the 4.7 is stressing with all the weight. Thats actual experience, now for my opinion. There is no way I would try to tow 6000# plus gear plus inside weight with my or your rig. Although the 4.7 in the Durango has been very reliable and many people have logged many miles, my feeling is that what you want to do is way over fudge factors and will present stresses that she won't be able to handle. I don't think you will be able to tow that setup for very long if you decide to do it. My .02 based on my last few years with my D.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of people usually forget to factor the weight on the durango itself when you talk about total weight for towing. 4.7's with 3:55 axle ratios, usually translates around 5k towing. That's total weight towing. Meaning all the gear and people in the durango plus the trailer and whatever is on it. If you just factor the trailer and what's on it, you are may grossly understimate the towing and can put yourself in alot of trouble.

For folks that do light towing, with/withouta tow package, you should be fine. for medium towing folks, towing package is a must. heavy towing people that takes their towing allowance to the edge, towing package is required and possiby need some towing upgrades to tow safely. Stuff like bigger aftermarket transcooler, larger axle ratios, performance enhancements to the engine.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I pull 7300 lbs 26 ft travel trailer with mine. To the tonge it is 29 ft. Now I have the different setup but if I were you I would install a large tranz cooler and a shift kit into the trany first!

I also installed a 4 point 10,000 lbs rated EQ hitch.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Buckeye D

I also have the same set up as you but in an 03 with 50000 miles on it. I tow a 19 foot camper that everything considered puts me at my max around 4500lbs. I would not push it over that. Although mine tows it very well it does have its limitations like hills that you do start to feel it want to give more but it can't. My opinion. Buy a smaller boat and keep it under 4500lbs to save your D. Its to good of a truck to mess it up by towing something too heavy.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM
JBIII
Amateur

I towwith my 4.7D also, about 3500lb. I definitly wouldn't do even 5000lb. Maybe if it was downhill both directions.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:56 PM
jaysquared

Thanks for the replies guys.. Very helpful.. I guess what everybody is getting at here is I am able to tow it with my current stock setup but I would be puttinga lot ofhurt on my power train... I kinda knew that that was the case.. I'm still thinking things over and let you guys know what I do.. If I were to upgrade my transmission cooler andaxel ratio how much would youthink it would cost me?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
JBIII
Amateur

I wouldn't do it!!!! Not unless you beef up the engine and the whole drive train. It's not just about how hot things get, or will it have enough power to make the next hill. But more about how long it will last. That's why theyset a towing capasity. It's sort of like if you took a car engine and put it in a boat. It won't take it!!! Because it takes a lot more power to move a boat through water than it does to move a car on the road. That's why boat engines are built MUCH tougher. Bigger bearings, stronger block, cranks, rods, everything. Now add a transmition and rear and you're just asking trouble.

Remember, whenever you hook that boat up and pull out form a stop, or go up a hill you are putting over dubble the torque on every part of that engine and drivetrain than it was built to take.
[sm=badidea.gif]

I'm no machanic, but I am a machinist, and I know that whenever the manufacturer sets a limit on thingslike this, they usuallyleave some tollerance, but I strongle doubt they would cut that capacity in half.

Think about it,[sm=confused06.gif] & good luck,
Jake

Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's too costly.

Gearing both the front and the rear to get-r-done. Looking about $1600 installed. The trans shift kit I would recommend is the Transgo kit about $400 installed, and the cooler is about $150 installed.

But if you do the gearing then go with the 4.10

Quick Reply: Hauling a boat that's over the towing capacity?