1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just Bought a 99 Durango Need Some Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM
redrust422
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a 99 Durango Need Some Tips

I just bought a 99 V8 Durango with 130k miles for $2300 today and I need some help with getting this thing running right. The vehicle runs decent but I'm still planning on replacing the sparkplugs/wires and distributor and gettign it running as good as it can. The previous owner said the alternator, air cleaner, and fan belt were new. For some reason they removed the air cleaner for awhile and had just now replaced it, so they also took it to a mechanic to clean the intake, and to ??relearn idle??. The problem I'm worried about the most now is that the transmission seems to slam into gear going from park to reverse, and then again into drive. After I ran it through all the gears today and checked the fluid level I noticed that it leaked a few drops of trans. fluid right under the pan, and most of the bottom of the pan was covered with fluid. So far it is shifting right on the road but I need to know if the slamming is a sign of a serious problem with the trans. Are there any specific tests I should have run on it?

Here is what I plan on replacing as of day 1. Please let me know if you have any suggestions/additions on parts.

Plugs: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...2007QQBE1.html
Wires: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3QQSW7876.html
Distributor: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...2QQ21208E.html

The interior carpet is a mess, cigg burns, stains, and a bad smell so I'm ordering a black stock carpet kit with mass backing (rubber on underside to cut road noise and heat)
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...mp;ModelId=442

This Durango is going to be my project car and if it turns out to be a solid vehicle I have alot of future addons, upgrades, and tweaks I want to do to it, but I'm really gonna need some help bringing it back to life.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: Just Bought a 99 Durango Need Some Tips

You know it is a sad day in history I just read your thread, you got a 99 with 130k for $2300, I recently went for a possible trade, my 03 SLT 86K new transmission, brakes, rotors, tires, alignment, Leather, XM radio, 3rd row, overhead console, rear air/heat, 4.7 got severely lowballed at $3000, I haven't been insluted like that since my last family re. (LOL!!) Seriouslythat was pretty low, this is why I am considering these upgrades and keeping it until the preverbial wheels turn square, then round them out again.

In addition to the plugs, wires, cap/rotor etc, don't forget the other usual subjects in, used car purchases, Pads, rotors, tires, alignment, air filter, coolant flush, etc.. I would recommend Tranny Fluid and filter, but based on a incident a few months back I will defer and recommend professional repair on that level. Upload some photos to the forum when you get time.

Happy 4th, be safe!!

Steve

Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM
redrust422

Forgot to say that they supposedly recently replaced the brake-pads and lines as well. Alignment is a must as the steering seems loose and it pulls to the right pretty bad. I'll get some pics up as son as I get her cleaned up.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Buckeye D

I would have the tranny serviced. Not flushed. You want them to drop the pan and change the filters. Also make sure they know how to adjust the bands if your tranny has them. I would not do a coolant flush. I would have the coolant changed. I have heard too many times that the pressure that the flush puts on the system is too much for the heater core and then you have to replace that also. You don't want to do that. Good luck with your new "D".

Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
redrust422

Thanks for the tip on the coolant flush, probably saved me some money there. Well to be sure the tranny is leaking. I wiped the pan clean and the next day after driving it around for work it was leaking again. I was hoping it was just leaking from the pan itself, but it looks like it's coming from the tranny itself. I'm taking it to a mechanic suggested by my boss who he trusts on Thursday to have it looked at.

A couple of other problems I'm running into:

Steering: Loose and out of alignment. Before I get an alignment I want to be sure that I replace any worn parts in the steering system. What parts should I start with?

Electronics: Stereo cuts out randomly, instrument dimmer wheel has to be all the way down to the lowest setting before dome and interior lights go off.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, I took my D to Firestone for my alignment and am very pleased with them and right now they have a specil on their lifetime alignment for $130. Take it to them they will tell you if anything is worn or not.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know how those pulsar plugs do for your D. I posted a thread concerning these expensive plugs and asked if anyone ever make the leap and spent the money to try these plugs.

As far as the coolant change/flush. It's more a matter of judgement. Flush or change coolant all depends on the conditions of your D.

I would say given the mileage and age of your D, if everyhing in there is still 1999 oem parts, may look into change only. But then again at 130k, your radiator/water pumpmay have seen better days and it may be on its way out. So you may need to look into that. Heater cores should be flushed out only by doing a reverse flush so to ensure it is free of debris. I can tell you right now, the heater core is about as reliable as the tranny on these 1st generation durangos when it comes to longevity. But looking at you with 130k miles, it has done better than most of us here in this forum.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
redrust422

Got it back today from the mechanic. Turns out it was the pan gasket after all, which I was happy to hear. Had him do basic service on the tranny too. $100 total bill. He suggested that I go ahead and have the fuel filter replaced as I don't know when the previous owner had it done. I'm considering getting him to test and run diagnostics on the whole vehicle before I put any more $$ into it. He tests everything, (engine, tranny, drivetrain, etc..) from top to bottom for $140. If nothing major needs to be repaired/replaced then I'll be getting an alignment, new tires, and giving it a tune-up including the pulsar plugs and let you guys know how that turns out. Thanks for all the suggestions and info, it's really helping me out.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got 118k miles on my d and water pump just went out today, flushed everything out while it was apart and very rustytint to the waterin there, yuck!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 PM
redrust422

Ok, I replaced the plugs with Bosch Platinums, new wires, new ignition coil, and a new pcv valve, and holy **** does Dodge make it a bitch to get to the distributor. I still need to get the old cap off and replace it and the rotor inside, but I need a 1/4" ratchet w/ like a 7" skinny extension and a 7mm socket to get the sucker off. But, after replacing the ORIGINAL wires and plugs after 130,000 miles! the D runs so much better. I have a friend who worked for a Dodge dealership for years who suggested that I clean the throttle body and the injectors. Also I should check the catalytic converter as after so many miles they often need to be replaced or removed all together, heh heh. Also I've learned that BG induction service is the best for cleaning your engine and removing carbon buildup and all that.

So next steps:

Take off and clean throttle body

Have Injectors Cleaned

Replace/remove catalytic converter

K&N Air Filter System

BG Induction Service

Quick Reply: Just Bought a 99 Durango Need Some Tips