newbie needs some upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
ChrisHackIT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie needs some upgrade advice

Hello all,

I am not new on the forums, but anyways I wanted to ask if any of you experts can recommend some upgrades for my 2000 dodge durango 4.7l slt 4WD. Here is want I want to upgrade.

Shocks, Air Intake + Spacer, Tires, and front suspension, the D rides crappy and the steering feels loose. but first off I need to up grade the shocks, any suggestions also I want to change the plugs and give her a solid tun-up, what plugs is the best for performance and if so whats the name and model number?.

I already did the exhaust, but when I am driving the D feels sluggish and also I have to press hard on the gas pedal, someone dude @ Chrysler told me I have too much back presure, in other words I need to purchase a cat. converter. Any help from anyone of you D experts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
ChrisHackIT
Toronto, Ont

Last edited by ChrisHackIT; 11-10-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1. CHAMPION Part # 439 COPPER PLUS #RC12MCC4}
OEM Spark Plug {.040 gap} or CHAMPION Part # 4318 {TRUCK PLUG}
{.040 gap} or CHAMPION Part # 9202 {CHAMPION IRIDIUM {.040 gap}

Cheap then go for Copper Plus, Mid-range Truck, or Iridium full price. I like the Truck Plugs but any one will work. Just make sure you stay with CHAMPION and no Platinum!

2. Air Intake + Spacer. see air cleaner????? . Also a Spacer will not work on an MFI motor only carborated. Waste of money!

3. Shocks: I realy like the Edelbrock Performer IAS. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml
Great for wheeling and on road applications. Blistons are also highly recommended.

4. Tires: I LOVE the BFG A/T KO series.

someone dude @ Chrysler told me I have too much back presure, in other words I need to purchase a cat. converter.
5. Wow! I really love when people make recomendations on a problem without testing it first. This is a crook of ****! The only way to fully test a CAT is to do a back pressure test. Take it to a muffler shop like Master Muffler and they drill a small hole in front and in back of the CAT. Then they look at the back presure that is caused. You only want no more that 3 lbs. back pressure. If more then replace it with a hi flow and match it is size to the system you have already. This might be the best time to replace the "Y" pipe and bring it together with 3" pipe. Magnaflow makes this pipe. It takes the 2 1/4 pipes from the manifold to 3" instead of 2 1/2".

D feels sluggish and also I have to press hard on the gas pedal
Could just need spark plugs, K&N air filter, and the trans serviced. Trans needs a filter and fluid change.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Could just need spark plugs, K&N air filter, and the trans serviced. Trans needs a filter and fluid change.
X2

(Not to hi-jack) Hydra
But can 4.7's adjust tps as we do? (I dunno why i wouldnt remember but im scratching my head)

Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TPS should be adjustable on any EFI engine. The specs may be different though. Follow hydra's advice on the rest though. I personally have bilsteins and I love them. They are high dollar but worth every penny.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Blistons are also highly recommended.
Bilsteins are pretty good too.

Last edited by gr8scott72; 11-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
ChrisHackIT
Amateur
Default thanks guys

Guys,

where the F**** did you guys learn all this s*** from I must say 4 of you dudes knowe more then a Chrysler mechaniac.......Unbeleiveable.

I just wanted to thank you guys for the information and the advice on what parts I should get. I need to ask you guys again, what do you receommend for the front end, when I am driving my D the steering feels loose and i am all over the highway here in ontario (HWY 401). need some help, but besides that all thr parts you dudes told me to get I am going to purchase them 100% BUT I have a problem do you know where I can buy these parts at a good price online?????? let me know please. also my 2 rear windows don't roll down even if I try to used the main controls on the driver side.

Hydra + ALL : I am going to need your help non-stop (if that's ok) I am only expert in satellites, but not on Durangos. if you guys want some free TV let me know

Cheers,

ChrisHackIT

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
deerang
All Star

For the steering issue, is it always wandering, or over bumps? I have a good allignment but I have old worn struts that leave me all over the road on some decnet bumps.. all that construction on the 401 is really messing with me too, especially where they have those concrete retaining walls not more than 6 inches from the end of the lane.. I'm from Brampton but go to school in Oshawa.. Also old tires that don't wear evenly can cause poor steering..

did both rear windows stop going down at the same time, or did they go out one at a time?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Worn sway bar bushings and shocks can do this.

Being up there in God's country it gets really cold and the roads rough. I'm thinking that you can raise the front tires off the ground preferably by the frame work so that the weight is off the chassis. Grasp the wheel and shake it side to side and have a buddy check all steering ends including the tie rod ends. Also up and down and diagonal movements of the wheel. Grasp the tire close to your chest and but your back into it and also lightly. Just unlock the steering column by turning the key.
Another thing, you might need a steering box adjustment. About $30 USD at Firestone.

A four wheel alignment is supposed to find problems like loose components or ball joints. Sometimes it works and other times they don't find anything until it's too late and then it fails. You can take it to most shops to have it done and they will not charge you if there is a problem.......He He.....Again Firestone has a great deal with a lifetime alignment. I have it and can take my truck in anytime I want. The regular price for just one is around $79 USD and I got my lifetime on a deal for $130 regular is $159 I think for my truck as long as I own it.

From the tossing road conditions in this application I would check the sway bar bushings because I'm sure they are worn.

As for the gas pedal problem it might be the TPS so check this out.

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement for RPM surging and/or engine idle issues.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_53303/tm.htm
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1059612/...tm.htm#1059612

Throttle Position Sensor Modification for increased Performance.
http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TPS_Mod

Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
DRO318
Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by ChrisHackIT
when I am driving the D feels sluggish and also I have to press hard on the gas pedal

Cheers,
ChrisHackIT
Toronto, Ont
Does the pedal go all the way down to the floor? This might sound like a silly question, but does the pedal also feel hard to push when the car is off?I accually had that problem when I cleaned my TB. I didn't hook up th throttle valve and cruise cables up the right way.
Sounds like you have alot of upgrades in mind. Keep us in mind because I'm sure someone in the D.F. has tried what you may want to.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I'm all for free satellite. next time you're in Reno give me a call.

As far as the steering goes what Hydra is referring to is that after the front end is lifted put one finger on a control arm (or something static) and another finger on one of the suspension components. Wiggle the wheel sided to side. If you feel any play make a note of it and replace it.

Another thing that may be contributing to your steering issue may be that your power steering is shot or extremely low on fluid (which will fry your pump anyway). Have you been having any issues with the power steering ie. leaks?

Quick Reply: newbie needs some upgrade advice