1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! (I'd like your input please)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98% of shops are dirty... they simply try to take your money... I would do this, drive the truck for about 10-15 minutes normal driving, place it in park then shift it into R,N,D,2,1 for around 5 sec each, place it back into park and set the emergency brake, place it back into neutral and check the tranny dipstick to see if you are low.. (don't forget to wipe the dipstick off and stick it back in then pull it out to check, you must check it using that method to get correct level) Add transmission fluid if needed..(make sure you use ATF+4 transmission fluid only) put some old cloths on.. Goto the carwash and get under the truck and clean all the tranny fluid off.. (or if you have a power washer at the house use it.. garden hose will not work).. Drive it for and keep getting under it often and check where it is coming from... This will give you and us an ideal on how much it actually should cost... $10 now could save you $$$$$ down the road from a crooked tranny shop if you know where the leak is coming from.
(providing there is nothing wrong with the tranny other then a leak)

(I also forgot to mention the engine should be running while you check the tranny fluid)

Last edited by schusterjo; 11-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Good input there. I would say it's more like 97.25% of all shops are sacammers though.

Not really but there are a lot of crooks out there. Research the place that you want to take it to to see if they are on the up and up. I personally have had good experiences with firestone but that may not be the case in your area. I personally will also never use AAMCO again as they screwed me up so very badly when they did my rebuild that took numerous visits and 3 rebuilds to get right. Look for a busy shop that is usually an indicator of quality that people trust. If it is out of the way and busy that's even better. If you know anyone that wrenches bring them with you when you take it to get checked out so that they can tell you whether or not the shop is full of it or not.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 PM
DRO318
Captain

+2 on that mean... AAMCO is the ripp off of the century. They told me they couldn't adjust the bands until they took the trans down and took it apart. WTF

Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys but I'm thinking we have a TROLL!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 11-14-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
papo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi youre transmission line run by the cat to the radiator if youre leaking fluid you are low on fluid and it will jerk and sputter check youre fluid and lines before you go get a rebuild ,to check it the truck has to be warm and the tranny in neutral if you are fill to spec and test drive but dont drive it low on fluid becouse if the tranny is not bad it will be verry fast

Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 AM
dkouangothonh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody! I really really appreciate all your help. The reason I asked because I figured you knew better and I'm afraid of taking it to a shop and getting ripped off. I at least have something to go by. So again, thanks so much!!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys but I'm thinking we have a TROLL!
I'm lost?

Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ LOL ^

Have you noticed he hasn't givin us anymore info, and we have asked him just to look?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Eh what can you do...

Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

This is my room so you know what I can do!.....LOL

Anyway I deem this thread a TROLL although I will keep it open. I don't ever think this will go anywhere.

Quick Reply: Help! (I'd like your input please)