Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 AM
explrcnvrtbl
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance brakes

looking to get performance pads and rotors for the 02 2wd durango

i want the best, $ is no object, this is for the front

have had good luck with SSBC in the past.... they have a kit that has pads and sloted rotors for $226 MSRP --- available @ summit racing for $199

checking out there site, they also have what looks to be the same rotors each for $92, but have other rotors that are higher than that @ $108, that are slotted and crossdrilled

what is the opinion on crossdrilled versus slotted, or both? or neither?
i know there will always be the peopel that says nothing beats the oem... and that is not what i will be doing, jsut want to see if the cross drilled with slotted are better than just the slotted.... if i piece together my own system, what brake pads?

vehicle is driven very aggressively with lots of hard stopping --- needs to stop on a dime

want to hear from the guys here on dodge forum

Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by explrcnvrtbl

have had good luck with SSBC in the past.... they have a kit that has pads and sloted rotors for $226 MSRP --- available @ summit racing for $199

vehicle is driven very aggressively with lots of hard stopping --- needs to stop on a dime
drilled and slotted... I'd reccomend baer for rotors but that choice is up to you. Make sure they are installed according to the manufacturer, some times they are direction by mean of vanes, frontal sometimes rear, some times slot direction as you know. The viens/slots/holes all help with the cooling, being our D's are heavy SOBs and your heavy foot i recomend them all.
Pads i'd just go with stock mopars, they work just fine and make a great combo. Make sure to change your fluids with your brakes. If your switching from stock to drilled/slotted there should be a decent change with aggressive driving, but makes sure you change the fluid out to assist.

Stay away from ceramics, ive wasted my money there, dont waste yours. Also if your looking for a dustless front, it aint happenin (well if you want to put up with heavy metal pads that squeal)
Keep any documents concerning waran.

I dont get too pricey with my set ups because if it works i use it. If your looking for high end fronts plan on running a bill easily over $1000. Easily...

Last edited by Duranged408; 11-21-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by explrcnvrtbl
looking to get performance pads and rotors for the 02 2wd durango

checking out there site, they also have what looks to be the same rotors each for $92, but have other rotors that are higher than that @ $108, that are slotted and crossdrilled

i know there will always be the peopel that says nothing beats the oem... and that is not what i will be doing, jsut want to see if the cross drilled with slotted are better than just the slotted.... if i piece together my own system, what brake pads?

want to hear from the guys here on dodge forum
As far as the pads, I switched to Hawk Superduty pads cause I tow a good bit but even when not towing, these pads have much more bite and way better on resisting fade than OEM.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 PM
explrcnvrtbl
Rookie

what is aggressive pad that will work well with the crossdrilled and slotted rotors?

i was looking @ ssbc, but what other companies do people here have good experience with o nthe durangos?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 AM
explrcnvrtbl
Rookie

que?!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like ceramics but they WILL eat up the rotors much quicker. Another thing I noticed you posting bumps on 2 threads now. It's not going to help you and may even alienate the people here to help. Chill dude.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
explrcnvrtbl
Rookie

what would be the msot aggressive stopping power pads to use with slotted rotors? i would like to use some type of hawks

Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Ceramics would be your best bet. If you want the rotors to last though you would probably be happiest with some good semi-metallics.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 AM
explrcnvrtbl
Rookie

ceramics?

i have always heard these werent so great... .good for low brake dust.... but..... that is what i have always thought....

i know organics are cool, but that is jsut an oe replacement...

i want the most extreme agressive stopping possible, not worried about longevity or chewing up the rotors.....

what would be recomended by the users here on dodgeforum for use with slotted rotors? ive seen some say severe duty and the like, but what does all that mean?

i am fairly familiar with vehicles in general, but looking more towards firsthand experience with the durango specifically

Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I use ceramics and I've had NO problems with them. I hear they aren't so great when towing but I don't tow so I don't really mind that. I would also put a brake controller on the D if I was planning on doing any real towing anyway.

Semi metallics are organic and metal and then there's organics. I don't like those options as much as there is brake fade. That is once they heat up the stopping power is diminshed, if you overheat the pads they glaze over and your stopping power is all but gone. It would take some very aggressive braking and a good load or downhill stretch to get to that point though. That's why there are runaway truck ramps on large downhill grades.

Quick Reply: performance brakes