Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Damn I lied!

Still looking.

Governor Pressure Exceeding recomended pressure will cause the transmission not to shift into 4th gear.

The other thing I wounder about is leaky gaskets in the valve body. Have you thought about installing a Transgo Shift Kit to possibly fix this problem?
Yes I have, been looking at the Transgo reprogram kit... wanted to eliminate what I could before I go spending money on things that I may not need. (although reprogram kit will be installed sometime in the future, just wanting to make sure because thats money I could be spending on the real problem if that is not it)

Governor Pressure Exceeding recomended pressure will cause the transmission not to shift into 4th gear
That sounds almost like what is happening... How would I find out if this is the problem?

The TPS can still be the problem and it does still sounds like it. Any discreferences while in operation can still do that and you would not see it. Second would be the transmission input and output sensors or possibly the rear axel speed sensor.
Output shaft speed sensor is new.. (Don't think the 42/44RE has an input sensor)
the one in the back on the rear axle is not though, thought it had to do with the ABS more then anything.. seen where it can make the speedometer go crazy as well

Still think TPS could be bad? how would I check into it further then what I have already done?

Last edited by schusterjo; 01-13-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Spoke to a mechanic at the dealer today (very rare they will do this anymore) after a good long discussion he said it sounds like we may have not installed the spacers in between the OD unit and tranny correct.. He said it is very easy for them not to stay where their suppose to when putting the two together, he had done it himself.. So I guess I will be pulling the OD unit back off and reinstalling it...

Anybody have that procedure anywhere? I want to make sure I get this correct this time.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First..... The Transgo kit is a "shift kit" which is much better than trying to reprogram the PCM which doesn't do anything for the transy unless you do a custom tune flash not to mention it fixes many known issues with this trany that causes premature failure.

Second.....
Don't think the 42/44RE has an input sensor
You are correct....Sorry for the miss hap.

Third.....The only way to test the TPS on freeway conditions is to have a good OBII reader in monitoring mode. For $40 something bucks at Auto Zone you can get a new one and tune it to .72 volts at Run mode on the key switch will insure great preformance and optional power. (I will look for that link tonight for you)

This is a good one to know about, but no help for you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1411556

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
schusterjo
All Star

First..... The Transgo kit is a "shift kit" which is much better than trying to reprogram the PCM which doesn't do anything for the transy unless you do a custom tune flash not to mention it fixes many known issues with this trany that causes premature failure.

Second..... You are correct....Sorry for the miss hap.

Third.....The only way to test the TPS on freeway conditions is to have a good OBII reader in monitoring mode. For $40 something bucks at Auto Zone you can get a new one and tune it to .72 volts at Run mode on the key switch will insure great preformance and optional power. (I will look for that link tonight for you)

This is a good one to know about, but no help for you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1411556
Okay, thanks for the help hydro... I will pickup a new TPS at autozone, and I will wait for you to post that link you was talking about..

Far as the transgo kit, the one I was talking about is called the "performance kit" know as the reprogram kit.... comes with a little resistor that you have to solder in the sensor..
here is a link to the kit I will be getting soon.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...OD-HD2&FROM=MG

The resistor is why they call it the reprogram kit...

Thx again and will be looking for the link...

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

THis is the one I was talking about and I am not sure thats it.

http://www.transgo.com/sk_dodge.php

The model is a
SK®TFOD
Diesel
Upgraded

Here is the TPS modification on install. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TPS_Mod

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Now I haven't really paid much attention to this till now, I have been driving the truck with OD shut off to keep it from trying to shift and doing that in out thing.

With the OD off it goes 1-2-3- then I assume converter lock. once it hits 50ish it will drop out of converter lock and raise 0300-0400 ish RPMs. So, I am thinking this is the issue all together.. What would cause it to want to drop out of converter lock? (Remember I replaced the pressure sensor/solenoid and OD governor with the ones out of the old tranny to see if it was those and it is doing the same thing...

Could debree blocking something in the valve body cause the converter not to lock? my understanding is that it is electronically controlled..... would that mean the PCM is going?

(had that crazy alarm issue the other day)

Last edited by schusterjo; 02-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Replaced TPS, did not help...... shifts are as followed.

if you take off normal (easy)
1-2-3-4 50mph'ish tries to converter lock does the slip thing (have to be nice and easy on the throttle or it will instantly jump back to 3rd and stay, unless you let go of throttle and slow a little then it will shift back to 4th.)

Get on it at all,
1-2-3 and stays.

This is based on the transmission shift as
1-2-3-4 converter lock

I have heard it shifts like this
1-2-3-converter lock-4th

I have not been able to get a definite asnwer in the order it shifts.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

1-2-3-4 converter lock

Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Thats what I was thinking..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I'm thinking the trany kick down cable is out of adjustment.

Quick Reply: (Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue