(Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue

No OBD codes present

You know that the 44RE has the case and the extension housing. Well I used my old extension housing (that contains overdrive) and it worked fine before..

New tranny out of
99 Dakota 2wd 5.2L
(Transmission has 52,000 on it.. I seen the Dakota the guy took it out of, he is making the Dakota into a drag truck that he has just over half way done, taken him 3 years to get that far lol)

Mine
99 Durango 4X4 5.2L

That is the reason why I swapped tails (extension housing) because mine is a 4X4 and the other was a 2wd, they come with different tails.

Anyways here it goes

1-2-3 shift fine (perfect, really nice and smooth)

3-4 shift will not happen if you are taking off at a decent speed

Take off nice and slow 3-4 shift will happen around 42-45

You keep increasing speed nice and slow it may get up to 55 before shifting back down to 3rd, from there it will stay in 3rd unless you let off gas and let it go back down to 45mph ish then it will shift back to 4th and same scenario again if you try to speed up.

Now if you get into 4th and try to hold that speed (45-50) then several seconds later it tries to converter lock, But it will not lock all the way, keeps going in and out of lock.. (thinking it has something to do with such a low speed perhaps, but once locked you would think it would stay locked the once it hit a certain speed unlock and stay unlocked)

If you are in 4th (below 55 because you get faster then 55 it will shift back to 3rd no matter what) you hit the OD switch it will shift back down to 3rd, so the OD switch seems to be working fine.

Some that I have been thinking of are

TPS (read it will cause erratic 3-4 and lockup issues, just not sure of the voltage it is supposed to be sending to the PCM in order to check.)

""""Update.. found the TPS voltage in the Haynes manual, supposed to have 5V between 1-3 pin, between .35 V and .90 V between 2 pin and battery ground
mine was
5V 1-3 pin
.649V 2 pin to battery ground
So this ruled out""""

PCM, this would be my last option (not really sure how to check it if it was bad in this scenario)

Converter lockup solenoid.. starting to lean away from this more I look into it but still a good possibility.. (anybody know how to test this without changing?, I read a scanner is used to test but mine was loaned out and you all know how that goes, never came back.. been looking for a CHEAP but capable scanner)

Any help here? throw any ideals out there...

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-30-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't your pcm I'm sure. It is in the tranny. It may be you governor presuure sensor???

Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by Mean Green
It isn't your pcm I'm sure. It is in the tranny. It may be you governor presuure sensor???
Well I just eliminated the TPS.... didn't really think it would cause what I was getting..

Governor pressure sensor... Well I thought about that as well.. went threw that with the last tranny.. What is so confusing is no OBD codes.. that is leaving me with this guessing crap. I have read about a 3-4 shift solenoid but they make it sound like they eliminated that for the 1999 year, they are not very detailed in any of this explanation crap.

I know the valve body contains
Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid
easy to change

New Overdrive/Lock-up Solenoid
Pain to change..

Those I have no ideal how to test without replacing them or using a decent scanner, that I don't have.

only if I had a OBD code to go with.

Well, I am going to do this.. drop the pan and and switch out the old tranny Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid with the tranny that is in the truck now. That should eliminate those 2, because they worked in the old tranny.

Last edited by schusterjo; 01-09-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Good luck with the job.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Replaced
Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid
Overdrive/Lock-up Solenoid
New filter (even though the old one only had 200 miles on it)
fresh Fluid (same, only 200 miles on fluid)

I am getting the exact same thing.. So it was none of those..
I am at a loss here.. I have no clue what it may be now other then PCM/TCM both I can't test to find out if they are bad.

Any ideals would be appreciated...

Last edited by schusterjo; 01-09-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: 3 to a 2
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Did you adjust the bands while you were in there?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by Mean Green
Did you adjust the bands while you were in there?
yup....

Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 AM
schusterjo
All Star

PCM?
TCM?
Valve body has something lodged in it, need pulled and cleaned??
bad torque converter?

Anybody know where there is a "how to guide" on pulling the valve body, I want to pull it out and clean it....

I know there has to be a transmission guy on these forums somewhere.
I don't want to have to take it to a shop, I simply don't trust them, all of the guys I trusted got old and moved on.. it will probably cost me $600-700 for something I can do for $100 and I don't have that kind of money to waste right now.

Last edited by schusterjo; 01-10-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have schematics but I will try to send to ya. PM me you email address. I think the schematics are for the 2000 but should be the same thing.

Does anyone remember where that download is?

Second---- The TPS can still be the problem and it does still sounds like it. Any discreferences while in operation can still do that and you would not see it. Second would be the transmission input and output sensors or possibly the rear axel speed sensor.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn I lied!

Still looking.

Governor Pressure Exceeding recomended pressure will cause the transmission not to shift into 4th gear.

The other thing I wounder about is leaky gaskets in the valve body. Have you thought about installing a Transgo Shift Kit to possibly fix this problem?

Quick Reply: (Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue