Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:17 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it appears I spoke too soon -- After a day and a half of good operation, this morning on the drive to work I noticed my warning chime was going off non stop with no dash indications. This seems to indicate that the CTM module may be going bad.

Sure enough, next start of the car, Security light and Service 4WD light is back on, no lights on the indicator dial.

Given that the indicator dial worked great all day yesterday, and I have now seen the same behavior with 2 different TCCM modules in there, it has to be something else. So, I will start a new thread since I think this is now CTM problem not TCCM problem.

Thanks for all the great info here so far.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:34 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bbddpp
Well it appears I spoke too soon --
Your symptoms are EXACTLY what I had, and a used CTM (eBay, $70ish) fixed it all.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jeeper! Did you have to flash your replacement used CTM before you installed it for your keyless entry to work?

I found a match to my part number on ebay, going to purchase that in the meantime. Figure that is step 1 anyway.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:49 PM
tim mallett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amedeus8
I received the tccm, swapped it out with the old one and all the lights on the switch are working again and my 4x4, hi and lo, both engage.... I used this website to to find my part. They even had the tccm listed, where a lot of the other sites did not even have it in the search parameter. http://www.autopartsearch.com. You have to look under electrical, then electric control units. The next page gives the option to choose the transfer case. There must have been at least 2 or 3 dozen places listed. I found mine at Nicks in Neenah Wisconsin....
Were you getting the fault code P0740?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM
TheOldStyle

Wow... this old thread is still going and I still have problems...lol... but I havent dug in too deep yet... Ive only had the 01 Durango for about a week. Good info here.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Dominos Dad
Default Stuck in 4H??

I'm not sure if I have the same issue or not.
Daughter has been using my Durango. Most recent snow she used the 4wd. Have used it many times with no issues.
This time I believe the transfer case is disengaged but the front axle is still locked. When I change to 4H or 4L I can hear and feel transfer case engage and definitely have all 4 wheels locked. When I change to 2H I'm definitely only in 2wd but it feels the way my 88 f150 (sacrelidge) does when the fronts are locked out with manual Warn hubs.
Is this the same control module that controls the transfer case as the front axle?

Thanks for the help
Love this forum

Lots of great info

Old 04-03-2019, 02:42 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The hubs are permanently engaged. If you feel resistance the case is still in 4wd. Verify that the shift motor has moved the linkage to 2wd and if so try reversing in a serpentine pattern or jacking up the front end and seeing if the wheels will spin.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Dominos Dad
Default Yes they do

Have owned this Durango for over 4 years and have not done brakes yet, so I pulled fronts and replaced pads and turned rotors.
While it was up on jack stands yes spun front wheels with slight resistance, just feels "tight", not binding just not free if that makes sense.
If front hubs are always locked, and transfer case is disengaging then do I need to look at a possible issue with the front differential?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You are turning a fair few parts in there, so, some resistance to turning it by hand is expected. If it still seems excessive to you...... try dropping the front driveshaft, and see if anything changes.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:48 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are turning a fair few parts in there, so, some resistance to turning it by hand is expected. If it still seems excessive to you...... try dropping the front driveshaft, and see if anything changes.
I doubt that would help his concern. As you said, there are a lot of parts to move, so reducing the parts count would make it move easier, which would further make him think there is a problem. It would be nice if there were an torque spec for rotating the a wheel (like there is for the pinion nut when going axle gears). DomDad, if you're mainly concerned with the hub and brakes, next time you get home from a decent trip, see of the hubs are about the same temperature and not crazy hot.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM