1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

just brought a Dodge Durrango with 160,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
harley773
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just brought a Dodge Durrango with 160,000 miles

I paid 3900$ for it. I knew when I brought this truck would have to spend some money on repairs. Sofar heres are my issues with this truck.
1. Driver side widow won't open/close
2. Rear trunk won't lock somtimes. Sometimes when I do get it to lock the "gate open" warning lights appears
3. All widows foggs. The truck kicks good heat but the defrost funtions not working.
4. Load squeaking noise coming from under hood. I think it the altenator fan belt.
5. Missing fog lights.

The dealer at that car lot mentioned that used Dodge Durragos don't sale anymore. I don't mine the minor issues that I have with this truck. But My queation is did I take a bad gamble on a 2000 DD with that many miles on it at that price of 3900$

Last edited by harley773; 02-23-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. do a search for window motor repair.
2. sounds like a poor connection read the electrical diagnosis and testing thread at the top of this section. If you have any further questions just let e know.
3. refer to #2
4. Make a stethescope out of an old/cheap hose put one end to your ear and the other end in the engine compartment, that will be the easiest way to pinpoint the squeak.
5. easy but not cheap repair. Just have to rewire them in but they are expensive.

As long as the D was treated right as far as maintenance goes it will be a good ride. I would definitely chage all of the fluids in that thing though. When I see that many issues with a ride it makes me wonder how well the regular maintenance was followed. Good luck with everything.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
harley773

thanks for the response. i will take your advise on all the issuse mentiond. as for the squeal nosie, i sprayed oil on the alternator belt til i can get to a mechanic. the noise is not as loud but it still there.

i have one more dumb question. how can i tell if i have the 4.7L or the 5.9L engine?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

well it should be on a sticker under your hood w/ the rest of the emissions information, (might not be there if the car was in a wreck and needed a new hood)

but the 4.7 is a coil on plug design, basically if you have a distributor and plug wires you have a 5.9, if those things are missing you have a 4.7

also you could look at oil filter location, the 3.9/5.2/5.9 has the oil filter on the passenger side about even w/ the wheel well, (on my dads truck you can see it about the wheel through the well), the 4.7 has the filter off the front of the engine, you should be able to see it by looking down the front of the engine, or by opening the little round door in the plastic splash guard on the bottom and look up through there

hope that helps

Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
harley773

Ok thanks. I check under the hood and its a 5.2L

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
BigRedMachine00
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up man I bought my 2000 with the same amount of miles as you (paid only $2500.00 for it though, sorry) and mine needed alot of work too. With some time and patience I turned the truck from P.O.S. to the ****. I got the truck and it was a base SLT. I'm the third owner. The truck had aftermarket rusted rims, 3 different brand of tires, rust over the wheel wells, fogs were yellowed, and I was told it needed a hub bearing, tie rods, and a battery I mean it was kind of an eyesore. So I did the battery, ball joints, tie rods, bearing, tires, rims, oem fogs, swapped in a chrome grill, bug deflector, grille mesh kit, fender flares to hide the rust, dropped in a CAI the list goes on. I treat this truck better than my GF (don't judge me I bet I'm not the only one..lol) and now it's a completely different animal. So do all the maintenance and hope for the best. I have 195,000 now and it runs better than most of the cars I work on with half the miles of my D. These trucks are strong man. Maintain it, visit here every so often with your issues and all these guys will tell you what you need to do. I checked in every couple weeks when I first joined, now I'm on here 2-3 times a day because of all the knowledge these guys have for different problems.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedMachine00
I checked in every couple weeks when I first joined, now I'm on here 2-3 times a day because of all the knowledge these guys have for different problems.

yea sounds like the normal story, same deal w/ most of us on here

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Jmodix

Hi, I'm new here as well, (although I've been reading the forums constantly since I bought my Durango last week.)

I paid 6,000 for mine, it has 64,000 miles (2001 SLT version - Loaded) Very pleased so far.

From the knowledge I've seen on these forums you should have your Durango shining like new in no time!

As for the dealer saying Durangos don't sell... I found 2 in the Tampa bay area, One looked like it was rolled down a hill on fire and then there was the one I bought. While I was working on the deal for the truck there were 2 other people that wanted to test drive it.. Had to beat em off with a stick!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what happens when gas gets cheap many people forget and get SUV's and trucks. I don't trust the prices personally but I already got my D and love it. My wife wants me to sell it now. I lied and said we were upside down on it and once it's paid off this thing isn't going anywhere.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
harley773

Anyone have leather interior?

Quick Reply: just brought a Dodge Durrango with 160,000 miles