1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP - Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
chequita68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Noise

Hi all.... I have a problem with noise when I'm breaking. It sounds almost like a car down shifting or large tires on road. (am I making sense?). Last year I did put new tires and rims on her, but the noise just started. I am also getting a whining noise at 30mph. After 35 - 40mph it goes away. I just replaced brakes, rotors and drums. Noise happened before and after. I took it to two shops one being a tranny place. They don't know and they see no prob with tranny and didn't get any codes. They tell me to bring back if it gets louder or changes. It has to be something... I had her for two years and it didn't sound like this before. Any help will be appreciated.

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7

Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Either wheel bearings or tires... Some tires won't make any noise until they are worn down a bit... I had some tires that were awesome and quiet for the first 25k miles... Then after that, I sounded like a damn huge truck with swamp tires on it...

Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM
chequita68

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what it sounds like Big Freakin tires. But if it was the tires would they sound like that at all speeds. What about the whining at 30mph? I do hope that is all it is. I had the bearings checked when they did the brakes and they said all is good.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it is going to be really hard to help unless you can narrow it down to an area of the truck the sound seems to be coming from.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM
chequita68

Honestly, I can't really tell where the noise is coming from. I open my windows to try and hear it but the outside noise drowns it out. Keep in mind I am just a girl and not mechanical savvy. I can hear it better when the windows are closed and I have to have the radio turned down. It's not very loud.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Are there any leaks near the front axle=maybe it's low on gear oil and also check transfer case for leaks and might as well check the rear axle too.You might also try swapping the front tires to the back and seeing if the noise changes or goes away.When you replaced the brake rotors did they cut them"turn them down" or replace them=some place don't 'mic' the rotors after turning and they get warped after awhile especially noticeable after driving in stop and go traffic.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Oh yeah,buy a haynes or chiltons repair book and make sure ya boyfriend sees ya readin it=nothins more shexyer then a gal with a auto repair manual in her hands=lol

Old 03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
chequita68

LOL... I have the Haynes repair manual, everytime I buy a new truck I make sure I get the manual to learn alil so when I do go to a repair shop, I go in acting like I know what is wrong (usually I'm right) and they won't try to rape me. I got new rotors just two weeks ago. I don't have any leaks. I always look for that because my Grand Cherokee had a leak and my rear differential went, so now I'm always aware to look. I also looked at the axles and the undercarriage is dry.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:44 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

When you hear the whining sound is the tachometer going up high to about like 2500 to 3000 rpm's then droppin-like the transmission has a delayed shift?-did the trans shop go on a test drive with you?I just noticed your in ct=hiya neighbor.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Other thing=is the truckfull time 4x4 or a partime=look at transfer shifter=if it has 2h,4h,n,4l=partime try switching into then back out of 4h at about 20 mph=wait about 4mins between switching in and out and if it's dry{no rain} out=try to travel down a straight road or parking lot in a straight path because partime 4x4 doesn't like dry conditions.If you have the fulltime 4x4 make sure it's not in 4 wheel locked only 4 high.see if the whine goes away.And how many miles are on the truck?

Quick Reply: HELP - Noise