1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tune UP Time? Suspension issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
carbophat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune UP Time? Suspension issues?

So I have an 03 Durango SXT with about 116,000 miles on it. Should it go ahead and do a full tune up? Has anyone changed out the spark plugs before, if so how difficult was it? What type of plugs/cables do you use?

Also, I have notice that the truck rides a little rough today. I just bought new tires and and the size are the factory reccomended sizes. Could it be that my shocks and leaf springs are getting old already? Anyone have a good site for replacements/upgrades?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well for the plugs you will want to use Champion, that is the OEM plugs. You can get the truck plugs or if you can afford it get the Iridium.

Wires, if you have them then you would want to get 7.5mm or 8mm many good wires brands... I like Taylor and of coarse mopar performance.

You will want to replace the cap and rotor as well, go With High Conductivity And Corrosion Resistant Brass Or Copper Inserts
Suspension, well it could be several things.. I like Bilstein shocks but there are others that perform well and a little cheaper.

A general rule for testing shocks (this works in some cases but I have found that in some cases they where still bad even if they passed this self test)
Bounce your bumper. Put weight on a corner of the bumper or car. Move the car up and down to simulate a bump in the road. If the car bounces more than one and 1/2 times after you quit the bouncing, your shocks may be in need of replacement. Test all four shocks this way.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
carbophat

Interesting on the shocks.. thanks.

Should all fluids be flushed as well?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

When is the last time you have changed the coolant=if it's the old green stuff=it should be changed every 30,000 mile>replace the thermostate also=if you see the radiator fluid very dirty ya should do a through flush=if you see rusty stuff=I recommend you change out the water pump while the coolant is drained, if it's the factory original one=sounds like alot of stuff but the cooling system gets alot of neglect at times=if you just do the radiator flush have them put extented life coolant in instead of the old green=it lasts twice as long and protects for corrosion better.If you never have changed the axle fluids=do so also=refill them with 75w90 and put the limited slip additive from the deal in the rear.transfer case takes atf+4=double check all fluids with your owner's manual or chilton or auto parts store.Don't foget the tranny=every 25000 to 30,000 miles it needs bands adjusted=so if never been done do it along with the filter and fluid.And change the fuel filter also.It's alot of stuff,but it'll save you a tow in the long run. also might as well change the radiator hoses if you do the coolant change.116,000 is alot of miles but 99 d has 189789 on it=their a pretty durable truck.

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Search this topic.

Second, you have to give us more info on this rig. What motor do you have?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 PM
carbophat

1st, i have and didn't find anything..

2nd standard 4.7 V8 2003 Durango

Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no plug wires, copper core chamipions (as said above truck plugs are ok, too) and the rest of it seems to be pretty sound advice so go with it

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Jasperstang308
Rookie

today i went and bought plugs. autozone recommend platinums. are they alright? i got autolite platinums

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no the magnum motors that chrysler put in these trucks do not like the platinum plugs, had them in my old truck and they caused missfires after only 500 miles, take them back before you put them in and get the plain boring cheap copper core plugs, they work the best in these motors

HTH

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasperstang308
today i went and bought plugs. autozone recommend platinums. are they alright? i got autolite platinums
Most of those cheap auto part places employees don't have a clue.. Take them back and and get the one of the plugs we recommended.

Quick Reply: Tune UP Time? Suspension issues?