1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Strange whistle sound at very light throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange whistle sound at very light throttle...

As of the past two months, I have been getting a strange whistle sound while driving on the freeway ONLY at VERY light throttle... When I say light throttle, I mean, all I have to do is put my foot on the pedal, no pressure, and the noise appears... It does this for the first 1/8" - 1/4" of throttle input... I don't know if anyone here has heard a 2nd Gen Neon with an intake, but the throttle body whistles pretty loud... It sounds pretty close to that but is fairly quiet compared to the Neon... It has been getting louder the past couple of days though so starting to have me worried...

Also, a while back when I was installing my stereo, I accidentally hit something right above the gas pedal and it started to hiss... Sounds like a vacuum reservoir maybe but I checked all lines and they are good... I don't get any CEL or anything and the vehicle runs okay... Thinking maybe that leak is getting bigger causing the whistle? What is above the gas pedal there that could leak like that?

1999 Durango 5.2L....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The whistle I've had for 4 years and it is just there....... IDK....... When I installed my new motor, K&N and even my Fastman 52mm TB it still did it. Even through each upgrade. I noticed even more profound sound now so I know it's just the air going into the TB.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

That's what I figured... But being two weeks with no stereo I never heard it... Now it is noticeable... Oh well, if it breaks down, I'll know what it was! LOL!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:43 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

If it's a vacuum leak-then take an UNLIT propane torch and run it near where you hear the whistle=the propane will caus the idle to go up when it gets sucked into the motor and it's not a fire hazard as long as there's nothing sparking..you could also try blocking off all the vacuum ports and just route the Map sensor hose to a vacuum port and seeing if the whistle goes away then if it does just reconnect each hose seperatly till you finf it-it maybe in the vacuum line that operates the heating cooling switching system vent operation...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We sure are getting alot of post on noises lately.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kinda strange hu?

Dude puttin a torch un-lit isn't a smart thing to do?????? I do see your point.

What I was getting at is on my truck it's in the incoming air. Second you can oly hear it at a certin RPM with the throttle plate in the right place.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

an UNLIT propane torch can find alot of vacuum leaks especially intake leaks, hoses-etc and it is safer then using starting fluid or carb spray...but I forget I'm surrounded by top techs who spit in old school ways....What ya can't discern incoming air from a vacuum leak=Let me take another shot of whiskey on that.Cheers=lol

Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Kinda strange hu?
Yes it is... Reminds me of that one commercial, I think it was Meineke who had that commercial. You know the one where it had several people making funny noises describing their car issues.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonOfMadness
an UNLIT propane torch can find alot of vacuum leaks especially intake leaks, hoses-etc and it is safer then using starting fluid or carb spray...but I forget I'm surrounded by top techs who spit in old school ways....What ya can't discern incoming air from a vacuum leak=Let me take another shot of whiskey on that.Cheers=lol
I hadn't commented yet... and I'm not a top tech. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'm game for trying the propane. I love old school methods. Often more reliable and easy to accomplish. Sounds as good as anything I guess. Anyone have a cigarette?

IndyD

Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Good gosh Indy you sure can get somebody laughing... Where in the heck do you come up with this stuff?

Quick Reply: Strange whistle sound at very light throttle...