1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Question about cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Beau49
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about cold air intakes

It is time for a tune up on my 2003 Durango. My gas mileage stinks on this beast but I would not give it up for nothing. Since I need to do a tune up I figured I would put a cold return in it also.

My Durango has been my best 4 Wheel drive SUV I have had so far I have had 2 other SUV'S over the last several years that were 4 wheel drive and I just never really enjoyed them as much as I do my Durango.

Ok back to what I was going to ask. I see K&N cold air intakes and they want an arm and a couple of legs for them, then on EBAY I have noticed some people selling cold air intakes that for my Durango for $16.99 plus $17.99 shipping.

Here is what it says on the website about what comes with the Cold Air Intake on Ebay:

This intake system comes bundled with:
1) A 3" diameter T-306 heat-resisting Chrome Polished Aluminum Intake Tube
2) Mounting hardware: Brand New Coupler and Clamps
3) A ChromeINTAKES washable and reusable high-flow performance cone air filter
4) Basic Installation Instructions

So Is it a total rip off or could this help my Durango get better mileage? I was thinking if the filter is a junk one I could possible switch it over to a K&N air filter.

I know you get what you pay for but those K&N cold air intakes along with a few others just seem to me to be to over priced for what you get.

Ok everyone let me know why I should not buy the cheap one on Ebay. I really want to buy one I just don't know if it is worth payying around $300 for a cold air intake.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. This is my first post on here but I have been lurking around for awhile before I registered.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Jmodix

I would go with the home made as well, with some slight modifications..

What im working on is a mix of the ebay and home made ones posted here. Basically im going to use the chrome tubing from the ebay intake, feed it from the TB around to the filter box, basically getting rid of the airhat.
Since I already have a K&N drop in, I'll go from the front of the filter box out the front as the home made varieties here do. Best of both worlds!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Beau49

Thanks guys, I figured someone had made them before just needed some Idea's. But I am still wondering if you want something that looks sort of nice if that CAI on Ebay would be fine for the money? I could see some of my Brother in laws rolling their eyes if I pop the hood and they saw that I built a CAI out of Dryer vent tube.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beau,

The idea of CAI is to draw cold air in, and nothing works better than a direct ram air intake such as our home brews. I plan on painting it black to blend in with the engine bay but then again, leaving it original to stick out is cool!

Some say that CAI's can drop MPG's as well. I am just using a K&N oem filter replacement and keep everything else stock all the way to the airhat. The ram air effect I got setup luckily did not drop my MPG's. But it sure as heck made a difference on highway driving response time.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dude if ya want to make it look like a million bucks then install all the elbos like Jmodix is doing and make a new air box out of some type of tool box or just keep it simple like Kensai is talking about.

The thing is this is a direct ram air install which should make them jealous anyway so don't worry. Besides it's not like you have a M1 intake, TB, Heads, Headers, Exhaust, Supercharger, or anything else. You could do it in PVC (black) or something else but that it.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

i would get somethign with a polyurethane tube it helps keep the heat from touching the air coming in.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ^they^ all said. And welcome!

Quick Reply: Question about cold air intakes