Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is offset.

IndyD

Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ROTFLMAO. Not a slam at you specifically my friend. I can't tell you have many (most) of the threads that are out there for doing the fan setup with a big handful of parts and wires. Thus... you are off the hook as just one of the many. Need any advise on the VSC, let me know! It's quick, it's clean, it's easy and it works.

At least I admitted my mistakes! LOL...LOL...LOL... I'm pretty sure about the setup of the VSC but I want to know does it only turn on with a/c clutch relay or does it turn on when the temp in the radiator gets to a certain point w/o the a/c relay turned on?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice thread guy's!.....LOL

Looks like it's still a VERY hot topic everywhere I look on the fan issues. Good to see things are on the look up so please just stay civl.....

There's good info being wrote up on these when bickering starts.....LOL

Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

That's how useful info gets known: By two or more informed/knowledgeable people starting a friendly debate and ending up teaching themselves and anyone who stops by to read the thread.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Mine is offset.

IndyD
AAhhh, couldn't tell in the pics. Bummer I should have grabbed it. Probably head out there next weekend. I'd like to test the dual fan installs in the newer models too.

Last edited by hutch1973; 06-14-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
I want to know does it only turn on with a/c clutch relay or does it turn on when the temp in the radiator gets to a certain point w/o the a/c relay turned on?
Both.

You tap into a wire that is hot when the key is on. I ran a waire off the fuel pump relay so I didn't have to cut into ANY wire. That turns on the VSC based on the temp probe you put in the radiator or in a sensor.

Once that is done, you tap into a wire for the AC relay. Many say to cut into a wire coming off the compressor. Instead of that, again I ran a wire to the AC relay to keep from cutting into ANY wire. Once the AC comes on, the wire off the relay fires the VSC to turn on the fan too.

I plan on using an alt switch to turn OFF the fan when the AC is ON when I am on the Interstate. No need to run the fan in those situations. When I run the wire, I will also use the VSC capability to run a wire to yet another switch to be able to turn it ON on demand. The Manual On and Manual Off are both optional. The VSC will do it, you just need to run a couple of simple switchs to make it work.

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Mine is offset.
Originally Posted by hutch1973
AAhhh, couldn't tell in the pics. Bummer I should have grabbed it.
The links I provided on the Taurus fan are all identical and all offset. Here is the fan attached to my radiator. You can see it is offset with a black cavity off the to HOT side. However, I roughtly centered the fan anyways so it worked out nicely. Here is the photo of mine.
Name:  fan-mounted-to-new-radiator.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  122.4 KB

HTH,

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-14-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In that pic it's almost big enough to cover the whole radiator but leaves a lot out. Not to mention I think yours smaller than mine in diameter. Mines 28" X 28" fin surface.

I want one that will totally fit. Would be nice for a smaller one to come on at startup then full bore with a flip of a manual switch for MY install.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 06-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
In that pic it's almost big enough to cover the whole radiator but leaves a lot out. Not to mention I think yours smaller than mine in diameter. Mines 28" X 28" fin surface.

I want one that will totally fit. Would be nice for a smaller one to come on at startup then full bore with a flip of a manual switch for MY install.
What's more important then a total fit is to have the fan pulling airflow across as many of the coils as you can. He is using a horizontal core radiator, and just looking at the pic it looks like he probably has all but 4 or 5 coils covered by the fan. By the fan pulling a higher velocity of air across those coils, they will have better heat transfer and cool the fluid down better then the ones that are not 'covered' by the fan. Since Indy has say, 90% of the coils coverered by the fan, and as long as the fan gets the required cfm through the radiator, he won't have any issues.

While it's true the couple coils that are not covered will not have the perfect heat transfer, radiators do not have 'perfect' heat transfer across every coil from the factory. Won't get into system effect or other fan related laws, but basically....when you look at the diameter of his fan, (any fan), he's not pulling the exact same velocity of air through that diameter. Most likely, he's pulling most of the air from the outer diameter of the fan, but since it's horizontal cores, he's still hitting a vast majority of the coils. If he had a vertical core radiator, he'd have a few more coils uncovered, and it might be a cause for concern.

Regarding shrouds specifically, if you don't have a shroud perfectly designed for that fan/application, it can hinder your radiator performance. I doubt Indy will have any issues because he doesn't have total coverage with the shroud, but lets assume he had the same size fan with a shroud that totally covered the radiator. The shroud could then limit airflow from the front of the vehicle by being an additional restriction on the backside. That in turn would limit the 'free cooling' you'd get from the front of the vehicle, requiring your fan to run longer and consume more amps. It's why you see some of the larger specialty fit shrouds having built in 'flaps' that will open on the outer edges of the shroud when you are at higher speeds.

(Sorry if I'm not explaining this stuff well guys, I'm used to dealing with engineers daily and putting things into 'their' terms. If anything I'm saying doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to do a better job explaining it. Having problems with my Visio program or I'd be drawing up some pics to better explain myself.)

Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Thanks Indy, now I know what to do.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Use a laser thermometer today. When the fan kicks on, there is a 15 degree temp drop at the cool return side of the radiator in less than 8 seconds. You can feel the fan pulling on the hair on your arm from the front of the radiator AND through the AC radiator too. Plenty of CFM

I am just adjusting the VSC to get it to come on after the stat has opened but not to late. The adjustments are TINY and you can get a 10 degree change real quick.

He is using a horizontal core radiator, and just looking at the pic it looks like he probably has all but 4 or 5 coils covered by the fan.
It is exactly to shape of the stocker original, down to the last mounting bracket.

While it's true the couple coils that are not covered will not have the perfect heat transfer, radiators do not have 'perfect' heat transfer across every coil from the factory.
This fan covers more surface area than the stocker aux fan did.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this stuff well guys, I'm used to dealing with engineers daily and putting things into 'their' terms.
Fracking PLEEZZEE already. We get it. We are not kids, nor dumb asses. You don't know us. You don't know who hold what degrees, what experience we have, what collective knowledge we possess. Geeze. Every post already!! Maybe you can do it in your thread instead of mine perhaps?

Having problems with my Visio program or I'd be drawing up some pics to better explain myself.
Maybe use these instead so we can understand you:
Name:  52-0064.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  41.7 KB

Nevermind. Your right. Can you continue to try to condensend? Please? Just for us.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-15-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: All Electric Fan Swap + Much More