1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

All Electric Fan Swap + Much More

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyway.....

I see your point. Question is what about the trany cooler bing in the bottom of a regular radiator. Will that hider performance when slowly climbing a hill and not getting the cooling needed for the trany because of speed?

Now there "should" be a aux. trany cooler but if there isn't then those people "could still fry their tranys in this condition. I still think over all coverage for pulling is better than none....IMHO

As for the flaps, thats a great design.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My tranny cooler is up front in front of both the AC rad and the coolant rad. It gets the outside air first. With a transmission temp gauge installed in a pillar pod, it should be easy to see if there are any issues.

The tranny lines that go into the coolant rad are on the cool side of the radiator. With the instant temp drop I am seeing when the fan is on, the "Manual On" switch would be just the thing to turn on in case of a temp rise. Once this fan's on, the cooling is going to happen.

You could add a Viper or MarkVIII fan to gain surface area due to the 18" fan. IMHO, as long as the CFMs are high (3800-4500) and the fans covering at least as much as mine, you would be fine. I would avoid a 21" fan with a lower CFM like 2500-3000, etc. No sense in going larger and then running the fan slower. Do the opposite. Go smaller to a 18" and pull more air.

YMMV.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-15-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indy, this will be my last post on your thread, and I will unsubscribe from it immediately after I hit enter. I'm trying to provide thorough explanations to everything so everyone understands it. You, quite frankly, do not know what you are talking about at times and I'm trying to counter some of your bad advice with knowledgeable opinion. I try to keep my explanations simple because even after doing that, and you having read the full text of my other thread...you still don't get it.

Again, I don't blame you for this, and totally believe you have researched this to the best of your abilities. However, I know the right answers to these questions and can't find them via a Google or forum search. I've also seen you reference reading Durango specific information, and again...it does't matter when you are reading false information. You seem to think I'm making up my complaints about '0' s.p. readings and continue to spout off fake cfm numbers in your tips and advice. Hopefully at some point, you understand the difference between an installation that 'works' vs the 'right' installation.

Understand I'm talking about fan laws and designs which are not vehicle specific. Don't confuse that with fans operating differently from one vehicle to the next, that's all related to s.p. and can easily be accounted for when you understand fan laws and design. I bill around $90 an hour for my specialty services and knowledge in this field.

Finally, to hydrashocker. The additional resistance of the trans cooler will limit the face velocities across the coils, and in turn you'll have lower airflow across it, however it's as limiting to the factory fan as well. I don't recommend throwing on a smaller diameter fan and referencing fake numbers either...if you can find a legitimate 21" electric fan that moves 2500-3000 cfm at a lower amp draw then the smaller ones with over inflated cfms, you are much better off doing that.

Keep in mind, the newer Durango's with a factory electric fan have an alternator sized 27 amps over the older gen Durango's. So if you have that older version of the Durango with a stock charging system, you might not have the flexibility of throwing in a hugely oversized or poorly designed fan with higher amp draws, you'll have issues.

Indy, hope your install works, and again, nothing against you or your research, I just know when you're wrong.

Last edited by hutch1973; 06-15-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Kensai
Champion

Hutch, I perfectly understand where you are coming from. I myself been working in the HVAC field for quite some time before I gave it up and move on to computer networking. Airflow is very important and is the determining factor in the HVAC world and if you dont have a system designed right, it will not work right or not work efficiently.

What Indy has setup, I know it will work, it just may not work as efficiently as you would recommend it to be due to your mass knowledge of this area.

To each with their own ideals. As long as there are some common baseline understanding that can apply for everyone.

Personally myself, I have not upgraded to a all out electric fan because I feel there is not a good "affordable" aftermarket fan setup that can do the job of what my OEM mechanical fan can do without adding on additional overall stress to my ride. The mechanical fan combined with OEM shroud is spaced away from the radiator with just enough distance to provide maximum air flow thru the entire radiator. I think if you have a all electric fan setup directly from the factory, you will see similar design with same amount of spacing from radiator so the fan can provide maximum airflow across the entire surface of the radiator.

I don't see the cost of a properly designed all electric fan setup will pay off in terms of what very little possible fuel mileage you will gain. It may be years before you recoup the cost.

At least I can live with the fan roar as it is just a temporary annoyance but after a few miles, the clutch will disengage and my engine will have no more power gains than a similar engine with electric fan only system.

Replacing a clutch fan for a electric fan will gain you more power to the engine, but one must remember, that if you don't design your replacement correctly, it can cause more problems and possible damage to your ride than what it benefits.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

My setup is ticking on 850 miles, will be over 1100 by tomorrow and the big test of an additional 3000 starting on Friday going to Florida. When it works for nearly 5000 miles in conditions from here to Florida and back, I'll be satisfied.

Since hutch isn't here to see it since he unsubscribed, I hope you guys understand it isn't his knowledge that was offensive. I love knowledge. It was his asinine approach actually saying that he understands we aren't smart enough as non-engineers to understand his ramblings. And he kept saying it and kept saying it. That boiled my blood. Newsflash... it's a fracking fan. It spins. It cools. Done. LOL What bad advise did I provide? Name:  icon_confused.gif
Views: 33
Size:  683 Bytes Because Mr. Guru didn't agree it's "bad advise"? Here's some advise, don't eat yellow snow. Here's more... this is the internet. Believe only what you dare. LOL.

Those that know me know I expect as close to perfection from my D as possible. If what I have doesn't work, I'll tell you. When it does, I'll tell you that too. So far, works fine.
Here a fan for everyone Name:  poofan.gif
Views: 34
Size:  21.6 KB

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
My setup is ticking on 850 miles, will be over 1100 by tomorrow and the big test of an additional 3000 starting on Friday going to Florida. When it works for nearly 5000 miles in conditions from here to Florida and back, I'll be satisfied.

Since hutch isn't here to see it since he unsubscribed, I hope you guys understand it isn't his knowledge that was offensive. I love knowledge. It was his asinine approach actually saying that he understands we aren't smart enough as non-engineers to understand his ramblings. And he kept saying it and kept saying it. That boiled my blood. Newsflash... it's a fracking fan. It spins. It cools. Done. LOL What bad advise did I provide? Because Mr. Guru didn't agree it's "bad advise"? Here's some advise, don't eat yellow snow. Here's more... this is the internet. Believe only what you dare. LOL.

Those that know me know I expect as close to perfection from my D as possible. If what I have doesn't work, I'll tell you. When it does, I'll tell you that too. So far, works fine.
Here a fan for everyone

IndyDurango
There's always opinions and sometimes people don't always aggree.

Indy is right about Hutchs stance but both of them have their own opinion. One can read the responses.

I would tell future readers to read both views carefully. Theres great info here!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
There's always opinions and sometimes people don't always aggree.
Indy is right about Hutchs stance but both of them have their own opinion. One can read the responses.
I would tell future readers to read both views carefully. Theres great info here!

I say since i wasnt included in such talk any arguuuuments be null and erased..

Anywho its a build thread not a debate.
So its not a hi-jack: Nice work Indymiester, she be sparklin, keep up the good work

Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

LOL. Thanks D408 Name:  icon_cheesy.gif
Views: 32
Size:  931 Bytes

Name:  stampOfApproval.gif
Views: 40
Size:  7.0 KB

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The arguments won't be erased. The posts are classic bickering and that doesn't break the rules as far as I can see. Just because someone gets pissed off, it's their problem. As long as the rules are followed, oh well!

This is what happens in build threads and opinions very.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And here I was getting my popcorn and soda ready...

Name:  eatingpopcorn.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  29.0 KB

Quick Reply: All Electric Fan Swap + Much More