1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Dakotason
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-question.html
One of the best posts I've EVER seen. Hands down. I know it was a while ago, but I'd like to ask one question: "If I do this job myself and I want to do a system flush and filter change too, which should I do first? If I replace the parts first, won't they become clogged during the flushing? If I flush first, won't I wast my new fluid and have to refill after I do the job?" Just curious. I guess it would be more cost effective, to pick flushing first, then part replacement, then refill tranny??? Can someone shed a little light? Thank you.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yes we can DONT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION it causes more problems down the road than it will solve short term (idk of anything it would solve except maybe a light blockage in the cooler but if thats there you have much bigger problems)

if you want to just make sure that you exchange all the fluid that can be done, pete has the exact procedure in a post on here somewhere https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nsmission.html

Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Sharps!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to bring up an old thread but, is this the kit i need for replacing everything??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42RE-44RE-GO...sories&vxp=mtr

Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well that sure looks like it for your 44RE.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! Solved some of my problems and gave me some confidence in doing it myself. I hope it's not against the rules to bring back older threads but this one seemed like the place to post this question.

Anyhow I am having trouble removing the "govenor pressure solenoid" from the aluminum housing. I was able to remove the "governer pressure sensor" by removing the clip but the other has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated. I seem to have a problem linking to manuals here. The links I have found are either dead or the website says "I dont have permission to change...blah, blah, blah"

**** Edited after posting: Pardon my stupidity. I found the solution. Use a nail and tap it out. There is nothing holding it in but the steel plate which was already removed. Three taps and the part dropped out. Now I am moving to new threads about the TPS(Throttle position sensor.)

Last edited by pure adrenaline; 03-19-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Found answer
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i am gonna dig it up from the grave again as i have found some pretty good stuff to add to it...

Here is a 10 min or so video i found that shows the whole process of replacing the Gov. Pressure sensor/Tranducer the TCC/OD solenoid and the 3-4 Accumulator spring...

I have no intention of stealing the thunder from schusterjo as he did a heck of a job explaining it. I am just adding the video for those of us that learn better with a visual hands on way (myself included) and i will say a "thank you" to everyone who provided very useful info as it has helped me getting ready to do the job myself..

here's the video ---->

Quick Reply: Tranny replacement question