1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replaced engine fan with electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am installing one on my Ram. My Durango is my DD so I did it first.
My D had the standard engine fan/clutch and a factory electric that turns on with the AC.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lv360ram
Yes, I am installing one on my Ram. My Durango is my DD so I did it first.
My D had the standard engine fan/clutch and a factory electric that turns on with the AC.
aahh, ok, makes sense now.

Have to disagree with the poster on taking off the fan on the front. If you left it hooked up stock it will help with your a.c. cooling when the 16" isn't on. The pressure drop of the radiator is what the 16" will have to overcome, won't have a noticeable effect on the airflow.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hutch1973
Am I reading this right, the Durango's have a factory electric fan?
Yes... sorta.

The 2000-2003s have an auxiliary electric fan that only comes on when temps are at 210 or always on when the AC is on.

No electric fans on the 98s and 99s.

IndyDurango

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Kensai
Champion

the only problem you may have with this setup is the OEM shroud being too large in diameter. When your Efan is on, it may not pull air correctly in terms of flow. It might receive some backwash air due to the shroud being too large.

If they made a 18 inch electric fan, it would be the ideal setup you have when keeping the OEM shroud.

Otherwise, the best setup would be to drop the OEM Efan and go with dual 12 inchers. This was discussed in the viper efan thread. User found a 12 inch low amp fan that pulls over 2000 cfms and uses low amperage.

If you plan on keeping your OEM Efan, I recommend going with a push/pull setup. Install the 12 inch thin profile push fans in front. Keep your Efan in back.

The reason why the OEM efan will not provide adequate cooling is because it is butted against the radiator. So the effective cooling area of the radiator is limited to the radius of the OEM efan. Your radiator will have hot spots which is not good. Thus the reason why the Efan setup should be setup in a fashion like you did to have several inches of clearance away from the radiator. This increases the effective cooling area on the radiator. This is also the reason in most cases why a puller fan does so much better than a pusher fan. Most pusher fans are butted against the radiator. And most puller fans are setup with a few inches gap away from the radiator.

Last edited by Kensai; 06-11-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kensai
the only problem you may have with this setup is the OEM shroud being too large in diameter. When your Efan is on, it may not pull air correctly in terms of flow. It might receive some backwash air due to the shroud being too large.

If they made a 18 inch electric fan, it would be the ideal setup you have when keeping the OEM shroud.

Otherwise, the best setup would be to drop the OEM Efan and go with dual 12 inchers. This was discussed in the viper efan thread. User found a 12 inch low amp fan that pulls over 2000 cfms and uses low amperage.

If you plan on keeping your Efan, I recommend going with a push/pull setup. Install the 12 inch thin profile push fans in front. Keep your Efan in back.
Yes.
You have confirmed my thinking. As I mentioned earlier, the 16" fan is the largest standard size and I think that it provides less cooling than the stock engine fan. I wish I could have found a larger diameter fan that would fill up the shroud better and draw more air thru the radiator.
So, all y'alls mission should you choose to accept it, is to find a 20 -22" electric fan.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Yes... sorta.

The 2000-2003s have an auxiliary electric fan that only comes on when temps are at 210 or always on when the AC is on.

No electric fans on the 98s and 99s.

IndyDurango
Interesting. Might have to test one. Also, did not realize the size of the factory fan when I made my comment about affecting airflow, assumed it was a much smaller diameter. Was thinking in the context of my a.c. coil, which obviously is smaller given it's a truck.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you plan on keeping your OEM Efan, I recommend going with a push/pull setup. Install the 12 inch thin profile push fans in front. Keep your Efan in back.

The reason why the OEM efan will not provide adequate cooling is because it is butted against the radiator. So the effective cooling area of the radiator is limited to the radius of the OEM efan. Your radiator will have hot spots which is not good. Thus the reason why the Efan setup should be setup in a fashion like you did to have several inches of clearance away from the radiator. This increases the effective cooling area on the radiator. This is also the reason in most cases why a puller fan does so much better than a pusher fan. Most pusher fans are butted against the radiator. And most puller fans are setup with a few inches gap away from the radiator.
This is my take and I'm still looking into this farther. The fact that everyone is jumping on installing the fan directly onto the radiator instead of back in the shroud like needed. Starting to check into the Desel fans instead for my application but I'll check into it further.

I really like the last 2 posts!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by hutch1973
Interesting. Might have to test one. Also, did not realize the size of the factory fan when I made my comment about affecting airflow, assumed it was a much smaller diameter. Was thinking in the context of my a.c. coil, which obviously is smaller given it's a truck.
I don't know much, but I do know the Durango like the back of my hand.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
This is my take and I'm still looking into this farther. The fact that everyone is jumping on installing the fan directly onto the radiator instead of back in the shroud like needed. Starting to check into the Desel fans instead for my application but I'll check into it further.
Who said mine is mounted flush against the rad? It isn't BTW. A cool 2"s or so to the blades from the surface. It's all in the mounts.

IndyDurango

Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Kensai
Champion

Here is a site that sells some very serious cooling power from electric fans. Only site that you can get some huge diameter fans custom made. This site makes cooling applications for BIG trucks but I am sure these fans can bolt on to regular trucks as well

http://www.electricfanengineering.com/automobi.htm

Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Here is a site that sells some very serious cooling power from electric fans. Only site that you can get some huge diameter fans custom made. This site makes cooling applications for BIG trucks but I am sure these fans can bolt on to regular trucks as well

http://www.electricfanengineering.com/automobi.htm
However the cfm ratings are rated at '0' s.p., which means they won't move that when installed. For anyone looking at fan ratings, ignore '0' s.p. readings, they are useless. 2nd gen rams and durangos, will run at a minimum of .3". On a humid,sticky day, they'll run closer to .4"/.5".

When you size a fan for your Durangos, specially ask the manufacture of the fan to email you the airflow rating of the fan at a minimum of .4" s.p. That will give you a better idea of the airflow the fan will move when installed. If they won't produce that info, or tell you it's the same as .0" s.p., it's a lie, don't buy anything from them.

Quick Reply: Replaced engine fan with electric fan