1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 Radiator hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
DODGEBOY318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4.7 Radiator hose?

my lil durango sprung a little leak and this hose looks like its a space creature to me ..lol.. but seriously .. it is the upper hose on the 4.7 .. it has a cap in the middle of the hose .. my question is .. is it one piece if so how does it come appart .. sorry for the stupid question .. but i cant seem t o find an awnser anywhere

Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

There are no to totally stupid questions here my friend, First of all, welcome aboard!

The upper hose on my 4.7 is a 2 piece design. One section is from the Radiator to cap and the other is from cap to block. There should be clamps in the following sections

1. On the Radiator,
2. Upstream of the CAP (forward, radiator side)
3. Just behind cap
4. Just forward of the block.

If I remember correctly the hose may come in one piece so it has to be cut in two, I won't insult your mechanical ability and tell you where to cut, you can measure when you get the new hose. If you need photos, let me know and PM me your email address.

A pretty sure giveaway of still having original hoses, is the spring metal clamp. Most people that have changed hoses have replaced those factory clamps with metal adjustable style.

WHile you have the hose out, inspect the cap and cap housing. I have heard of issues with the original plastic housing cracked or broken. If it is, there is a good link on jegs.com for a higher strength aluminum housing, approx $30 plus S/H but from what I hear well worth the price for quality.

Steve

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, if you're gonna change your upper hose, why not change the lower one as well?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 PM
DODGEBOY318

i only see 2 clamps .. one on the Radiator and one to the block in the middle isee no clamps its just plastic .. its leaking on the pinch clamp on the one on the Radiator ..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

The plastic sleeve that contains the release valve is clamped on both sides by screws, I think. It's better to replace the upper and lower altogether.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

+2 on the hoses, and depending on mileage or if you are unsure, whats another 15 minutes to r/r the thermostat since you have the lower hose removed anyway? When I got my waterpump R/R I got both hoses and the thermostat r/r at the same time.

As for the one piece hose, I am confused, I thought it was a two piece, can you send some photos to the thread?

MAGIC

Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

+2 on the themostat and clamps, go with the screw type, more secure. Magic, I think I know what he's talking about. DBoy, the upper hose comes out of the radiator on the right hand side when you are facing the car. It may look like a one-piece but it's really a two-piece. There's a radiator cap on the plastic sleeve between the two plastic clamps. That's what I have on my 4.7. You will have to buy a one-pice and cut it to fit the rad cap somewhere on the hose, prefferably at or near the stock location. HTH

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I went out and looked again on the off chance I am missing something. Sure enough I was. I just happened to have the old water pump still in the box. (I kept the old hoses and pump to get the measurements of the hose diameter so I could get the Aluminum cap adapter from Jegs.) I found the little plastic sleeve that is listed but I do not see where it goes back on. I did notice that it was still leaking for about a day or two after the water pump, but I think that the reservior was overfilled, and when it bled off pressure from the flow, it bled back to the reservior which was filled. After that the leaking stopped and levels were normal. Been almost three months since pump was r/r and no leaks, no overtemps and no errors. As a precaution, just because I also replaced the Radiator cap. Next step is the Aluminum cap fitting. If I were inclined to re-install that plastic piece where would I install it? I did notice that the overflow tube did not have a hose clamp installed so I corrected that. Also I routed the overflow tube to the inboard of the hose, more of a personal thing.

Steve

Quick Reply: 4.7 Radiator hose?