1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Aem cai

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
durango[tK]
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Aem cai

sup guys and girls sorry i haven't been on for awhile i just been working my butt off to get new things for my durango haha. well anyways i was thinking about putting a AEM cold air intake rather then the K&N , but this is my question. the AEM already has a throttle body spacer but i was thinking if it would be better if i get the JET body spacer and put that rather then the stock AEM one....do yall think that would be better ???

oh by the way for the people that remember about me trying to make mirrors with lights on it like the FJ didn't work ha....but doesn't mean im gonna stop trying...i will get it right and when i do im gonna share it with everyone haha...peace

Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

These motors are MPI and spacers only work for carborated motors. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Second, do a K&N filter and custom ram air CIA for $50 bucks.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
durango[tK]
Rookie

alright...so can i do this because i really need to save gas....ok i get a k&n filter and go to advance auto parts buy a short ram cold air intake tube and also buy the JET spacer ???

Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No spacers. I wouldn't even buy the intake tube your refering to.

Just open the air box and install the filter. Then pull the intake tube off the air box to that goes right behind the head light. Next open a hole in the slash gaurd between the passenger side head light and radiator and pipe the air into the air box.

It's all OEM except the intake from the front to the air box. Heres lots of info:

CAI
Custom made Front RAM air intake
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ir-intake.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...e-ram-air.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-for-5-2s.html

Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
durango[tK]
Rookie

so i should do what mean green did then ??? ... does it have to be a k&n fliter ???

ok so i dont change anything just the fliter and cut a hole on the air box and guard then run pipe from the front of the D to the air box. just like how mean green did right ???

Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 AM
durango[tK]
Rookie

oh and why shouldn't i get a spacer ??? because it saves you gas and gives you hp ....not a lot but some

Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No... because it doesn't work.

Spacers are for CARBs, we have Throttle Bodies. Are the sold for TBs? Yes... to the unknowing public. Do they work for TBs? No.

IndyD

Old 07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Just say NO to TB spacers! They DON"T work on Multi Port Fuel Injection motors. They work on carborated motors because they better atomize the fuel air mixture because the fuel comes in from the carb. Also they help keep the carborator off the motor and so the fuel stays cooler.

On injected motors they are injected right before the valve. There is no atomization. The injector mists the fuel to create it. They are 2 different things.

Now you don't HAVE to use K&N but get a high-flow OEM filter replacement. They do make dry filters that meet this requirement for less restriction on CFM.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-04-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 PM
durango[tK]
Rookie

i seen people that put spacers on there durangos and they said it really made a difference for them and it goes good with there k&n intakes

and my dad doesn't want me to make my own intake because a guy from autozone told him that it will work but the intakes like K&n, AEM, ect are specailly made for the durango and if i make my own im not gonna have the same reasults , as in, it would be worse for my durango

and i was thinking about what mean green did to his durango he had a pipe in the front to the airbox....isn't that bad ??? because what if it rains you cant have water up in there...wouldn't it mess up ???

Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by durango[tK]
i seen people that put spacers on there durangos and they said it really made a difference for them and it goes good with there k&n intakes

and my dad doesn't want me to make my own intake because a guy from autozone told him that it will work but the intakes like K&n, AEM, ect are specailly made for the durango and if i make my own im not gonna have the same reasults , as in, it would be worse for my durango

and i was thinking about what mean green did to his durango he had a pipe in the front to the airbox....isn't that bad ??? because what if it rains you cant have water up in there...wouldn't it mess up ???
okay lets break this down.

seen people that put spacers on there durangos and they said it really made a difference for them and it goes good with there k&n
LOL, thats because they don't want to tell u they was to stupid to find out the "facts" before paying $90-100 for a paper weight.
The only people who say that they work that claims to have actual data is the manufacture. I can claim my muffler bearings give me better gas millage, you believe me? The problem is some people will believe anything..

Here get the "facts" shown on a Dyno, (on the left look for Throttle body spacers)
http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Spee...d%20Tricks.pdf

LOL ur going to trust the opinion of a Autozone parts guy. Man, you really need to look at who u are getting advise from. Here I got one for ya, go and ask the the exact same Autozone employee to sell you a Donut gasket. I guarantee you he can't answer this correctly without looking up on his little computer, even then I bet ur not going to get a definite answer on this. My point? WE KNOW.... WHY? BECAUSE WE LIVE AND BREATH MOPAR. We know these trucks better then some $9 an hr autozone employee

Again you really need to look at who you are getting your advise from.

question it?
Visit dodge talk forum and DakotaDurango forum and several other dodge forums and ask the exact same question about the throttle body spacer, you will get the exact same response, that being "they don't work". (sure u may get 1 idiot who will says "oh ya man they do". find the key word in that then look up the definition.)

and i was thinking about what mean green did to his durango he had a pipe in the front to the airbox....isn't that bad ??? because what if it rains you cant have water up in there...wouldn't it mess up ??
Okay ask good old dad this, hey dad what about ram air hoods?
http://www.techhoods.com/Fiberglass_.../GHD-20147.htm
This is the best possible way to have a ram air setup.. Not everybody wants to drop $800-900 on this setup though. What mean_grean did was based on the same concept but without the hood. Maybe if ur lucky Hydra will be kind enough to show u a few pics of his ram air hood setup, then show old dad that.

Far as the question of water... this will answer your other question as well far as "does it have to be a K&N filter". The answer is yes it does need to be (or a similar filter) Stock filter such as FRAM is made of paper and will be bad if it gets wet, K&N does not go bad when it gets wet.

I have a K&N CAI
Name:  SSPX0174.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  107.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0175.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  106.8 KB

mean_grean greens setup is "BETTER" then mine.. not as pretty or cool looking but it gives him better HP at cruising speed, that in turn gives him better fuel millage.

His is forcing air into the system where mine is still sucking air from under the hood where there is no forcing. This is where at cruising speed mean_grean setup gets air forced into to it from the front at higher speed.

Last edited by schusterjo; 07-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.