1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My 2003 Durango totaled from a a Hail storm what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Beau49
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 Durango totaled from a a Hail storm what would you do?

I ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught in a hail storm with GOLFBALL size hail. I have never seen a storm like this in my life 70 mile an hour winds and 10 minutes worth of golf ball size hail.

Here is the deal my Durango is paid for but I am really ticked at what I got offered from my insurance company for my Durango. I am talking this Durango was spotless you could have eat off of the floor that is how nice and clean it was I took care of it. I had right at 100,000 miles on it but looking at it you would think it almost rolled out of the show room floor. Had just put new good years on it a month ago planned on driving it until it would not go anymore which I think would have been a long time it ran like a top.

They told me they would give me $7708.00 and that included tax and license. NADA for the Durango I have with the options it has it tops out at about $10,000 The lady says" well we don't go by NADA we go by Local prices. so I told her about a dealer about 3 miles from me that has almost the same Durango I have and they are asking $12,990 for it and another Dealer has one almost the same and they are asking $10500 for it. Her comment was well we don't go by what they dealers are getting So right there I caught her in a lie. she said we have our own service that we use to figure out the worth.

I'll tell ya I have not had a clam in any car or truck in fact anything but health insurance in about 30+ years and then they want to screw you around like this.

So am I wrong telling them I want another $1000 on top of what they offered? I mean if I want to replace it with another Durango it is going to cost me more than what they are offering.

Thinking about getting a 1500 4X4 ram to replace my Durango not sure yet what I am going to get. If I don't get another Durango I know darn well I will miss it but I really could use a pickup.

What would you guys do would you stick to what you told them or give in and take what they offered?

I even told the lady that if she wanted to see pictures of it inside and out before it was damaged I will gladly dig them out for her. Her comment was it would not make a diffrence.

One more thing I forgot too ad. The place I got hailed on I would guess there were maybe a 200 or more trucks, cars & SUV's and just about all of them had their windows broken out but the Durango which was sitting out in the open did not lose a single window, it lost the taillights and mirrors and it looks like a elephant stomped all over the rest of it. what a mess.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Beau49
I ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught in a hail storm with GOLFBALL size hail. I have never seen a storm like this in my life 70 mile an hour winds and 10 minutes worth of golf ball size hail.

Here is the deal my Durango is paid for but I am really ticked at what I got offered from my insurance company for my Durango. I am talking this Durango was spotless you could have eat off of the floor that is how nice and clean it was I took care of it. I had right at 100,000 miles on it but looking at it you would think it almost rolled out of the show room floor. Had just put new good years on it a month ago planned on driving it until it would not go anymore which I think would have been a long time it ran like a top.

They told me they would give me $7708.00 and that included tax and license. NADA for the Durango I have with the options it has it tops out at about $10,000 The lady says" well we don't go by NADA we go by Local prices. so I told her about a dealer about 3 miles from me that has almost the same Durango I have and they are asking $12,990 for it and another Dealer has one almost the same and they are asking $10500 for it. Her comment was well we don't go by what they dealers are getting So right there I caught her in a lie. she said we have our own service that we use to figure out the worth.

I'll tell ya I have not had a clam in any car or truck in fact anything but health insurance in about 30+ years and then they want to screw you around like this.

So am I wrong telling them I want another $1000 on top of what they offered? I mean if I want to replace it with another Durango it is going to cost me more than what they are offering.

Thinking about getting a 1500 4X4 ram to replace my Durango not sure yet what I am going to get. If I don't get another Durango I know darn well I will miss it but I really could use a pickup.

What would you guys do would you stick to what you told them or give in and take what they offered?

I even told the lady that if she wanted to see pictures of it inside and out before it was damaged I will gladly dig them out for her. Her comment was it would not make a diffrence.

One more thing I forgot too ad. The place I got hailed on I would guess there were maybe a 200 or more trucks, cars & SUV's and just about all of them had their windows broken out but the Durango which was sitting out in the open did not lose a single window, it lost the taillights and mirrors and it looks like a elephant stomped all over the rest of it. what a mess.
They should offer enough to replace with a similar vehicle (age/mileage/condition) minus your deductable. Go shopping, talk to the sales manager at the dealerships that have similar vehicles to get their best price and then press the issue with the insurance company.

You got to remember, it's the insurance company imployee's job to save the company money. It's your job to keep them honest.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is the insurance company? Ask them what they are holding in reserve for your claim and let them know you feel under-compensated and would like to tap into that reserve a little more for a fair price based on your additional research. Let them know any other research you may be forced to look into on your behalf will not be free as your time was the first time and that it will be billed at prevailing labor rates to them... increasing yet again their total payout.

Their belief that you may also be interested in talking over the situation with your State's Attorney General's office and Dept of Insurance may help as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Who is the insurance company? Ask them what they are holding in reserve for your claim and let them know you feel under-compensated and would like to tap into that reserve a little more for a fair price based on your additional research. Let them know any other research you may be forced to look into on your behalf will not be free as your time was the first time and that it will be billed at prevailing labor rates to them... increasing yet again their total payout.

Their belief that you may also be interested in talking over the situation with your State's Attorney General's office and Dept of Insurance may help as well.
▲ DO EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID ▲
Trust me, he knows his Shiet

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
kev2
Veteran

indy is offering good advice- you have the comps - there is negotiating room- BUT be professional don't loose your cool.

Always name the company it will help others observe their level of service.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

▲ DO EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID ▲
Trust me, he knows his Shiet -Duranged408

indy is offering good advice- you have the comps - there is negotiating room- BUT be professional don't loose your cool.

Always name the company it will help others observe their level of service. -kev2

X3 what Indy said! Don't let those bloodsuckers (no offense Indy) get ya!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Kensai
Champion

If you have to take what they offered? See if you can keep the vehicle. At least that way, you can maybe slowly try to restore it yourself or sell it for parts to others?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

They are trying to low ball ya. Dont give up and fight it... I have seen this before!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Kensai
Champion

Beau,

Just curious, do you still have your Durango atm? Can you take some pics of what kind of damage golfball size hail can do? I bet it was a nightmare to have gone thru that. I am sure all the glass shattered eventually from that size of hail *****.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya i was going to say what other have already... They always try to give you the lowest possible the first time around, thats thier job, try to save the company money and rip you off. Most people don't even fight they just take the money, they know this all to well...

Quick Reply: My 2003 Durango totaled from a a Hail storm what would you do?