1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tech gurus< NEED HELP! Oil sludge build up

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
tetanusshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech gurus< NEED HELP! Oil sludge build up

Whats up! i am new here, and in dire straits right now. First off, thanks in advance for any advice. I have an 02 Durango 4.7 2wd with a serious sludge problem. Its not from coolant, its just a black thick carbon sludge buildup in the oil pan. I lost oil pressure completely, tried to add a lil diesel and motor flush, pressue came up to first line then dropped again, drained the oil and some of the nastiness came out. Well, I loosened the mounts, raised the engine as far as I could, dropped the pan, and HOLY S**T there is serious sludge in there - up to 3/8" in some spots. I believe whats happening is the sludge clogs the oil pickup screen, so no flow. The problem i have now is I can't get the oil pan out past the bellhousing bolt flange on the tranny. Do I need to drop the trans to get the pan out? Is there a way to do this without removing the trans?

Last edited by tetanusshot; 08-30-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 PM
kev2
Veteran

here is the "book" .....
i posted because "structial cover" might be over looked
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Front axle from vehicle

• Structural dust cover
    • Engine oil and remove oil filter
    • Oil pan mounting bolts and oil pan
    • Oil pump pickup tube and remove tube and oil pan gasket from engine
To Install:
  1. Clean the oil pan gasket mating surface of the bedplate and oil pan.
  2. Install or connect the following:
    • Oil pan gasket and pickup tube with new o-ring and mounting bolt and nuts
      1. Torque to: 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)

• Oil pan and the mounting bolts
      1. Torque to: 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm)
    • Structural dust cover
    • Oil filter
    • Front axle
  3. Lower vehicle.
  4. Fill engine oil.
  5. Start engine check for leaks.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
tetanusshot
Thumbs up

the structural cover is removed ( you cant drop the rear oil pan bolts without it ). thanks though.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
tetanusshot

Well, I managed to fandangle the pickup tube and the gasket out, the tube and screen are caked with sludge, in some areas the gasket has over 1/4" of crap on it!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

from what a few local mechanics around here told me(yes they're personal friends and dont like to screw people), is that castrol will do that to a motor, despite their claims of anti sludge. but either way, i stick with what comes with the 300,000 mile guarantee. Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 10W-30. with no additives.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya man 4.7L usually don't have a sludge issue, I would say that has to be do to the type of oil being used.. I personally use Mobile oil and never had an issue with it, Valvoline is also a great oil. Don't use Quaker state, Havoline or such oils brands, stay away from the jiffy lubes as well.

I hope u get it going and don't have any further damage internal. low oil pressure is BAD for these engines...

Last edited by schusterjo; 08-30-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  ttiwwp.gif
Views: 686
Size:  40.1 KB

and not just any pix. Specific pixs to your 4.7 and your D. Don't slip is just any photos, I am looking for actual Durango 4.7l photos. Let's see your D from the side with the pan down, and the pickup screen held up next to your fender for proof. Serous sludge 3/8 an inch thick? Yea, a naysayer here. Indulge me with 10 foolproof evidence photos and I'll paypal you enough cash to pay for your new Mobil1 fillup. How's that for a deal?

IndyD

Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 004x41500
from what a few local mechanics around here told me(yes they're personal friends and dont like to screw people), is that castrol will do that to a motor, despite their claims of anti sludge. but either way, i stick with what comes with the 300,000 mile guarantee. Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 10W-30. with no additives.
004x41500,

I don't want to dis your mechanic friends, but I must discredit you about your claim Castrol oil possilby sludging an engine. I have been a castrol user for almost 25 years. Ran this stuff on my turbo's for the first 15 years with over 150k miles on it. Never had issues. Now I have been using their syntec version for the entire 70k miles that I have driven on my Durango.

Sluding on a motor only happens from two conditions;

1. Poor mainentance (common here)
2. Mechnical part failure causing sludge. (Not as common as 1.)

As long as I have been a member in this forum, the only symptom that a user has found that may have caused sludging on a 4.7 specifically is a bad gasket/plenum from the main intake manifold that slowly leaks coolant into the oil. Over time, the coolant and oil mix with high temperature will sludge the engine. I remember a user even posted a Chrysler TSB concerning possible intake manifold gasket/plenum failure that can lead to oil sludging on a 4.7 specific engine.

I would recommend looking to check the plenum/gasket once you addressed the sludge in your engine.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
kev2
Veteran

I agree with KENSAI - castrol as an inferiour oil is BULL ****!!!!
If maintained with quality brand correct weight & API product is unlikely casuse

to add to his suspects of sludge ... not getting eng up to temp- short drives- pcv system.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM
tetanusshot

well, cleaned out the crap and it runs perfect - except for the trouble codes p0733 and p0725. 752 is a speed sensor code, but which one, the one on the rear axle or the trans? Oh, and INDY, the pics are a comin. I'll pm you my paypal.

Last edited by tetanusshot; 08-31-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Tech gurus< NEED HELP! Oil sludge build up