1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need to know OEM torque converter number

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That looks like a TPS. Replace it and modify to .72 volts to ground......(middle wire).

I thought you said a different year. I would replace the TC solenoid and install a Shift Kit. Call Transgo and ask them BC I seen the actually have a few for your 44RE. Might look into the pump as well.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
That looks like a TPS. Replace it and modify to .72 volts to ground......(middle wire).

I thought you said a different year. I would replace the TC solenoid and install a Shift Kit. Call Transgo and ask them BC I seen the actually have a few for your 44RE. Might look into the pump as well.
Replaced the TPS and did the mod.
Replaced all sensors and governors in the tranny (all 3)

Those have been ruled out.

What I am left with is,
Torque converter
Valvebody blocked
Bad O/D (extension housing) unit
did not get the piston bearings/spacers correct during the install (but we checked and checked before we dropped it on so this would be one of the last things i would check)

Old 09-21-2023, 07:47 PM
Robert Theriot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter confusion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I think it's: Shaft Size=1.5" Housing Bore=2.249" Outer Diameter=2.253" Width=0.36"

You first want to go oversized torque convertor and would suggest Hughes Performance http://hughesperformance.com/catalog_online/

26 spline on the 44RE I think. The 46RE has the 23 spline.

3000 rpm stall Hughes:
A500 OD Lockup w/26 spline 1993- '04 .............................. 16-30L
​​​​​I Just took a tranny out of a '96 Dakota that has a 5.2l in it. Supposedly it was to have a 44re in it. When I got it to my house I tried my torque converter out of my 46re and it fits perfectly. Now if all 5.2l come with 44re, and the convertors are different, why did mine fit if I have the 46re. I took mine out of a '99 Durango with the 5.9l.

Quick Reply: Need to know OEM torque converter number