1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overead Video Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
lilswol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overead Video Monitor

Has anyone put an overhead Video Monitor in a D, that had Rear A/C unit installed? If so, could you tell me how it was done and what size monitor was used.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
12voltkid
Default RE: Overead Video Monitor

I am currently designing a way to install a monitor in the front of the Durango. If you Have the overhead trip computer, that will have to come out. i will disasemble mine build a new one to house a 10" monitor as well as the trip computer. you could probably use a 7" but 10" would work best. This will have to be fiberglass of course. I will repost when I'am done. also I will be making extra's to sell I think for this a problem for most Durango owner's. Sug. 5" or 7" in the back's of the seat's but they would be too close the pass.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with a portable type unit. Walmart sells a very nice dual 6.2 inch wide screen mobile DVD player for SUV's. They have straps that straps the each of the 6.2 wide screen LCD's to the back of the front seats so the people in back can enjoy their movies. Also, you can easily remove them out of the SUV when you are done. I no longer wish to add aftermarket equipment to my Durango R/T as living in a big metro area like Dallas Fort Worth, it's not worth taking a chance that someone will break in your car to steal it. Already happened to me several times with my Toyota truck so I gave up and replaced my aftermarket with OEM models. I cannot stand the thought of someone breaking into my R/T. I'll just be devastated!

Also, another advantage of putting them on the seats instead of overhead, you won't get any obnoxious driver driving behind ya complaining of watching some movie they don't approve as they can easily see the overhead LCD display especially at night so privacy just isn't there!

I remember reading an article that some people were watching **** or something obscene and pissed off the driver driving behind the car that was playing that obscene movie! haha. talk about legalities!

Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
agdodge

I have an 02 and installed a SONY XVM-R70 (7") right behind the A/C controllers. When the overhead monitor is folded away you can access the controls without a problem. If the monitor is down, the controls are just behind the monitor. Normally I control the A/C from the front anyway.

Ran the cables down the side behind the seat belt, under the carpet into the center console where the DVD player is monted.

It works great!

Old 06-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Just got my 10" monitor installed in the same place and it looks great! Was going to go with the 13" but it was a lil overboard in my humble opinion and the 7" was just just too small for my taste. Anyhow, they look great installed in front of the controls. My buddy took a different approach and installed two 7"monitors on each side of the center hump and that looks pretty sharp too.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Dave in LB
Professional

I'm with Kensai on this one. We recieved as a gift a travel TV/DVD combo unit. It's about a 13" with the combo and it has RCA ports for games. My son can ride in the back and watch his movies or play his old school plug and play video games while we travel down the highway. the downside is just having a place to store it out of the way when we aren't traveling, but it can always be used as an extra TV when necessary.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

I think it is all just personal preference. Some like the portable units. Personally I think they look tacky all strapped here and there but to each his own. As far as you saying you have a 13" screen, that I would have to see cuz I have never seen or heard of a portable unit that big, must be pretty cool. I just like the convenience of being able to fold the screen up when it is finished and always knowing it is there when I want it.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Dave in LB
Professional

My 13" unit is bulky and big no doubt and not overly nice to look at compared to a slick in seat or overhead installation, but it can be removed from vehicle easily, offers a large viewing area and can in a suspension carry case that you mount between seat headrests. Only issue I have now is that I broke one of the buckles and it requires delicate balancing now.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
willie2124

so I know its been a year on this post but I know someone has put an overhead dvd in the back of a 98 - 00 Durango. tell me how it worked. Show me some pics. I'm thinking of trying it.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
durango360
Rookie

I have a '00 Durango SLT 4X4, 3rd row, overhead A/C which has a flip down DVD monitor installed and two in the tops (head rest area) of the front seats. These items were already installed when I bought the D but will take some pics of them to show you. I have not dropped the unit to see how it was put up, but will take a peak when I take the pics...

Quick Reply: Overead Video Monitor