Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastec
You can't miss them.
Nope, you really can't.

Just jack up one side of the front and pull off the tire. You can see where the torsion bar connects to the front suspension, and from there it's a simple matter to just follow it back to the other end where you do the adjustment. I know exactly where they are just from doing other jobs underneath, they really stand out.

Just crawl under there, you really, truly can't miss them.

Or, let's put it this way. They're so easy to spot that if you do miss them, you should probably be hiring some help to do the lift for you....

Last edited by coreybv; 03-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM
DangRango_orby

Ok I found the spot, but just to make sure I am turning them to the right? I plan on doing this next weekend after the shackles come in, so I will let you guys know how it turns out and take before and after photos

Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Just happen to be doing the T/S lift this weekend... The torsion bar adjustment bolt is 15/16" - didn't remember seeing that noted anywhere.

So far I only have 4 turns on each side. I tried to reference Hydrashocker's the "OEM 78mm lower from wheel center to torsion centering marking point," but I couldn't see in the manual what that was. If the point is the metal tab that is bolted on to the sway bar bracket and comes through the hole, it was at 13-1/4" when I started and is now at 14-1/4" after 4 turns. Driver's side was at starting and still is about 1/8" higher.

Wheel center is 14-1/4" also, so I can't say I understand how the 78mm comes into play.

I bought 3 different sizes of 9/16" flat washers, 1-1/8" (same dia. as bushing), 1-1/4", and 1-1/2", but can't see which one might be better. The stainless steel fender washer is 1-5/8".

Regarding the shackle washers - I do have a question. Which one do I use at the shackle and which do I use on the spring bolt?

Having trouble with th pics, I'll upload shortly.

Last edited by Magoo; 03-20-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Finally, I got this off my list. Didn't take but 2 hours to install the new shackles. Hitch removed, spare stayed, each rear tire removed when working on that side - only way to get scissor jack in and to be able to turn the handle.

For each shackle, I ended up using the 1-1/2" washers - 4 on shackle top (2 each side of shackle) and 1 on the bottom at spring.

Ride is tighter for sure after the 8 turns, but not harsh. I'm happy. Ground clearance still 8" at the diff cover, up to 9-1/2" at the skid plates.

Last edited by Magoo; 04-23-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 PM
DangRango_orby

That looks amazing! I cant wait to do this to mine!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
seancolon

Not to sound dumber then dumb, but.. Doing the Torsion Bars, would I just need to turn the bolts a couple turns and that will lift the front of my Durango?? WOuld i need anything else up front and how much will this kill my alignment. Also on the shackles, is that just a Kit that I can buy that will lift the rear a couple inches?? Sorry i have never lifted a vehicle before so i saw this post and it caught my attention.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
s_chev

Greetings all,
This might just be my first post. I was getting a bit crazy this past weekend and a friend convinced me I could crank up my torsion bars to raise my 2001 4X4 Durango. I thought it sounded like a dandy idea and after a few cervezas, we gave it a shot. Today I started looking for longer shackles for the back and spent some time on the internet. That's when I came across this fine forum again. I actually forgot about it. Lots of great info. I've got a question now that I couldn't find an answer for after many searches.

Not knowing any better, I've cranked up the torsion bars and there is only about an inch left of the threads showing. I never measured the distance from the fender to the ground prior to do this. Remember, cerveza was involved. I know now that I was only supposed to go 8 full turns so as to not mess up the suspension. How do I determine now how far to back it off. Please don't flame me as a dumb @$$.

I've measured from the rear fender to the ground and it's 35". From the front fender to the ground it's 38". From the front fender to the center of the front wheel, its 24". Is it safe to assume the front and rear were originally level? If so, that would mean that it's now been lifted 3". That also being true, would I just back it off 4 turns to lower it 1"?

I plan on changing the shackles out for the Belltech 6400s.
Thanks,
~Steve

Last edited by s_chev; 05-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Groggy
Rookie

I have been considering the lift myself, and remembered this section in the Manual about determining the base height of the Suspension prior to starting an alignment. I hope this helps...

Last edited by Groggy; 03-24-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Groggy
Rookie

oops...

Last edited by Groggy; 03-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, seeing how simple this looks definitely has my attention. I wouldn't mind a 2'' lift on my D. The only problem is that the above diagram got me confused and now it's starting to push me away from this. Is there a step by step thread on this?

Quick Reply: Torsion Key and Shackles to lift a D