1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango cranks but doesnt start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Duranged408
The fuel level gauge/cluster would not have anything to do with the operation of the fuel pump, unless there was an issue at the connector (@ fuel pump). The level is read via float then transfered, the computer contols the operation of the pump as you know.

Let's start from the begining, i will ensure you a proper fix and walk you through it...

have you dropped the tank yet?
Have you tested the pump gauge?
+1 on replacing the pump.

Also you could try a reset of the cluster for ****s and giggles but install a new pump.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
dcr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pulled the tank and checked all of the connections. The pump was working fine at the time I had it out. The pump is seemimg to be an option. Although the reason I was straying away from the pump being the problem is; Every time I have had a pump go out, it didnt run properly prior to dying. It would run weaker, make noise etc... This one runs absolutely perfect when it is running. It also isnt giving any engine codes. Still seems that it will be my next option though.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
thorze
Rookie

DCR, I am having the same problem only it has progressed to not starting at all. Replaced: fuel pump, PCM and finally got pressure still no start, camshaft sensor (cap and rotor while I was there), crankshaft sensor. Research tells me it is a bad ground, going to check them all today. I would not start throwing parts at it until all grounds are checked and tight, IMHO as I have already tried the stupid approach
I will update later

Last edited by thorze; 11-15-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
dcr

Originally Posted by thorze
DCR, I am having the same problem only it has progressed to not starting at all. Replaced: fuel pump, PCM and finally got pressure still no start, camshaft sensor (cap and rotor while I was there), crankshaft sensor. Research tells me it is a bad ground, going to check them all today. I would not start throwing parts at it until all grounds are checked and tight, IMHO as I have already tried the stupid approach
I will update later

Id love to hear what you find out. I ordered a fuel pump this morning, but now I think I will hold off before installing it. Untill then, I will keep reading!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 PM
thorze
Rookie

Alright, checked all grounds that I could find and all are good. PCM ground good and receiving power to pin 2 and 22. Checked voltage at TPS,CMP,CKP all read 4.1 volts should be 5 volts not sure why. The MAP read 5 Volts. Still Hunting for the fix,
DCR- have you done anything or tried anything else?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM
dcr

So far a lot of what people have said and what I have read leads me to a bad connection or ground somewhere. So, I haven't replaced anything as of yet. All I have done is check plugs and what not. I have pulled the tank and checked all of the wiring on top of it; I have pulled the dash apart and checked every plug I could find. I have replaced all of the relays although I am sure a relay can’t be the problem. I have found that there is no relay that will affect the gauge and pump at the same time.

The newest problem I have found is that I can’t get it to mess up now. The last few times i have worked on it, I can’t get it to die. So, that makes it near impossible to test connections and what not to find the source. I’m beginning to wonder if I didn’t inadvertently fix it by messing with all of the connections.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
thorze
Rookie

Have spent a few more hours searching and come up with nada, and to think it all started when I changed my battery WTF! I'm not giving up I will find the gremlin and stomp a new mudhole in it's A** LOL

Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it was operator error........LMAO!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
thorze
Rookie
Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I think it was operator error........LMAO!
Okay Hydra, thank you for sharing us with your infinite wisdom, my question is what makes you think it was an operator error, which I suppose it might have been I am open to all suggestions even ones intended to bait people in to an argument...as I am at a loss
I realize you know your stuff and I have found many solutions from your posts and it is your advice that guys like me seek on these forums but these comments make no sense and as a moderator are totally uncalled for as it does not help me or anyone else viewing this thread looking for answers.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you didnt cross any connections changing the battery did you? (see any sparks, hear an shorts ect) that could cause any number of electrical issues, did you check to coil to see if you are getting spark? im sure yous aid it and i just cant find it, but how old is the battery? is your alternator charging it properly ( a weak batter will cause a low voltage across sensors) are these sensors the ones you have already changed??

and you will have to excuse hydra, we havnt figured out how to keep him off the forum when he starts drinking . . .

Quick Reply: 99 durango cranks but doesnt start.