1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Durango1992
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You like the styling of the 2004-2009? I dunno. I love my durango. We have had that car since 2000 and since that time i have maybe seen 8 others that are the same color as mine. the current style is boring for some reason. too boxy. and thunder: was that cai simple to install? i am still learning all about how cars actually work.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Durango1992
Amateur

lol btw indy i am only 17 but i think you are right. the general consensus is that the flowmaster 40's are toooooo loud. you guys know better than I do.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 PM
thunderstruck484

Yeah dude, that CAI was really easy to install.

Basically, Cold air intakes improve the flow of air going into the engine. By replacing your restrictive stock intake assembly, you gain more horsepower and torque (usually around 5-15 hp and like 6-19 ft/lb. I think). If you get a K&N filter (highly recommended by just about everyone) you allow your engine to breathe even better because they flow a LOT more air.
Now if you want to get REALLY crazy you can invest in a RAM air hood that dumps fresh cold air directly into a K&N intake kit.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...r-4-7l-v8.html
thats my CAI.

Basically, all you need is what I listed on there. I left my airhat on, cause using that allowed me to place the filter right where I wanted it. Then all you need to do is take out the factory airbox (for me it was 1 bolt, and then you just wrestle it out) and then put everything on. You'll need to get a breather filter (easy to find at autozone) and a plastic tube of some sort to connect the breather filter to the breather line (that tube that runs to the factory airbox). It took me about 30mins. to install, and only $60 total for all the components. (the cheapest kit I was able to find on ebay cost about $73 w/ shipping, so overall not too bad cost-wise)

now, mind you, through the lower RPM ranges you won't notice much of a difference (maybe a slight whine/whistle coming from the filter), but when you open up the throttle and hit the mid to high RPM ranges, THEN my friend, you have unleashed a beast. haha. Your engine sounds really deep and throaty, even without the muffler. As far as fuel economy is concerned, I still can't honestly say... cause I still can't keep my foot off the throttle! (but it is supposed to increase)

another thing you may want to consider (you don't have to do this, but its an option), is use some Seafoam to clean out your engine. You get to see some cool smoke, and your engine will run better. Stuff only costs $9 a bottle at autozone.
Like I said, your call if you want to do that or not. But the CAI is something I think you should look into.

Last edited by thunderstruck484; 10-12-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Durango1992
Amateur

Thanks Guys for everything. I think i am gonna get this one: http://www.allmagnaflow.com/product.php?productid=551

Hydra recommended this one. Also gonna look into the CAI. Thunder's been a big help.

Hope to become a regular on this forum.

LONG LIVE THE DURANGO. well.. not the 2nd gen. who gives a **** about a hemi?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
thunderstruck484

If Hydra recommended it, then I'd go with it. He knows what he's talking about.
technically speaking, I'm still a n00b on here myself. hahaha

best of luck to ya!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now I feel special.........LOL

MagnaFlow will give ya what your looking for ...IMHO.... If you want it a lil louder but still the same great sound then go to the 18 inch but I like to use my truck for hunting and don't wanna scare every last soul out of the whole park. Still, it sounds great and on the MagnaFlow site you can listen to it.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Justin_98Durango

I put magnaflow on mine, but must have gotten the super quiet one. It is just barely louder than the stock setup, it did have better throttle response, and i get a bit better MPG out of it now, but I'm headed back in to get a highflow cat replacement. If that isn't loud enough for what I am looking for I'll go with a different setup completely.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Justin<----- You must have went 24" which is the same one I use (I don't like super loud). If you want more sound then the 18" will make you happy but if you want to wake the neighbors, go Flowmaster. The Flowmaster Series 50 SUV has gotten good results but I don't think they flow as good as MagnaFlow......IMHO

Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

my pipes are super loud. Ive got a flowmaster super44 on 2.5" pipe. I had a small time shop order and install my header back exhaust and it only cost $545 for magnaflow high flow cat 3", and a super 44 muffler 3".. I changed my mind last minute and had them put 2.5" pipe on the 3" components so i would retain some torque. I ran the pipes as a single out under the factory routing.. The truck sounds like something huge and it did get some hp and response with the added exhaust. I maybe lost a little torque but nothing too much to complain about. The pipes can turn heads when i want them too.. but they also have a good subtle idle and low rpm..
-kinda biased too.. have not heard the magnas

Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ A guy that knows what he's talking about when it comes to torque and exhaust. ^

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust