1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Head lights help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
northcutt4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head lights help

So i have replaced both front headlights about a year ago. but now one has water inside on the glass? what happened? i didnt do anything to them just noticed it about a week ago. anyone how to fix and what happened?

Also has anyone replaced the stock fog lights? what kind did you get and from where?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can find stocker replacements fog lights on eBay as an entire Mopar kit. Wiring is included but not needed.

Water is common on aftermarket lights. Very common. From 4 sets of different styles, I have had water in every one since the stockers.

IndyDurango

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think he is talking about replaceable bulbs. Go to your favorite auto parts warehouse to get your replacements.

As for your water question. There is a certain amount of humidity in the air, as you allow air into the head light during head lamp replacement then regular air is in the system now. To get it out you have to use 02 in a can (like what computer or electrical oxygen uses) and spray out the regular 02 in the air and hurry and replace the bulb. The regular air moisture is condensing causing the water droplets unless there is a gasket compromised on the area between the head light lens and the housing.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

No. Water is getting in there because every replacement headlight company's product is cheap and they leak. I have tried 4 different vendors sets and am looking for my fifth specifically due to water in the headlights.

Spray can air has humidity in it too before hand and even more as it mixes with regular air. LOL. If anyone sees you blowing canned air into the socket and then rushing to cap off the bulb I am sure they are busting a gut. Some good ideas fail badly in actual practice. Sorry my friend. LOL.

IndyD

Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea i agree that most aftermarket units will leak, but indy, i think he is talking about regular headlights, not the fogs and the OEM replacements are over 200 a piece (per side) but i agree, definetly the way to go

Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

reread. He asked about both headlights and fogs.

IMHO, buy the Mopar fog kit and use what you need from it. If you just need bulbs, go to AutoZone for them.

On the headlights, replace (again) and try to seal the edges with silicone or find stockers to go back in. As I said, 4 sets so far and they all have leaked here.

IndyD

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ooppss. . . . my bad, yes he did ask about fogs too, ive never changed more than the bulbs in my fogs, but as i said above my dad had to replace one of the headlight/corner light assemblies a couple years back when he spun out on the highway and hit the guardrail with his truck (an 03 dak at the time so same headlights) the headlight was the only damage besides a scratched up bumper but it was still over 200 for the OEM replacement (im not 100% sure but it think it was 25x.xx )

Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Over 10 years and 213,000 miles...

I changed out my stocker fogs to Angel Eyes because the stocker plastic lenses were rock chipped/cracked.

I replaced the Angel Eyes with new Angel Eyes because they too were rock chipped/cracked.

I then replaced the second set of Angel Eyes with the Mopar stocker fog light kit because the second set of Angel Eyes were rock chipped/cracked. This time I also bought a sticker set of 3M clear protectors to keep cracking and chipping from occurring and that has worked out fine.

IndyDurango

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

WOW!

Well you learn something every day.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM
northcutt4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that sucks. but thanks for the info
is it easy to replace the fog lights?