1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ball joints on first gen durango

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
gargle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joints on first gen durango

I own a first gen. durango. I think I heard durango's were recalled in the past for ball joint problems. I am asking if the ball joint recall was because the ball joints were weird, or because of the durango has issues with all ball joints? I am not a mechanic, so I am ignorant on these matters. Can someone enlighten me?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
brad8266

The recall was because the ball joints were breaking on enough vehicles to warrant a recall. A ball joint snapping while driving can be very dangerous. If youre concerned have a mechanic take a quick look. If you decide to replace them they are easy to replace by doing it yourself, even with little mechanical experience.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

the balljoints themselves where faulty
week

Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The recall only covered 2000-2003 Durangos.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct... BUT!

All 1998-2003 Ds use the same BJs. In fact, the recall was requiring C, LLC to replace the BJs, not change the issue or replace with anything any better. Any dealer recall BJ job got the same BJs replaced albeit new ones verses the previous ones.

If you have a 98-99, replace the BJs NOW. If you have a 2000+ that hasn't been recalled, get that done NOW. If you have age on your recalled BJ replacements, have them reviewed for aftermarket replacement now. NONE of the factory BJs... original or recalled... are long life products.

My suggestion is to replace with aftermarket Moog BJs which are both better, stronger and greaseable.

IndyDurango

Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM
gargle
Default ordered some new moogs

I called a few dealerships today, found one I liked, and sent the car in to get new ball joints. I went with the moog. Everyone seems to love moog. You guys helped me make me feel like an expert. I ordered all 4 ball joints to be replaced. I hope I don't have to worry about ball joints until the next 100,000 miles. I'm soooo glad I didn't drive home at 70mph on my old ball joints with my family. My family is the most important thing in my life. One mechanic told me that if 10 is a poor ball joint, mine had gotten to be an 8.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gargle,

Glad to hear you got it all taken care of. There are posts on the internet where entire front tires have broken off while driving. Some of the same posts and crying at Dodge as at fault when in reality the recall was/is very common knowledge. It is up to folks to do exactly what you did... just get it done. I agree 100% and the safety of the family being the most important thing!

What year is your D?

IndyDurango

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
grandpooh
Default Dodge Durango Ball Joint Recall

Originally Posted by gargle
I own a first gen. durango. I think I heard durango's were recalled in the past for ball joint problems. I am asking if the ball joint recall was because the ball joints were weird, or because of the durango has issues with all ball joints? I am not a mechanic, so I am ignorant on these matters. Can someone enlighten me?
You are in luck; I am the one that caused the ball joint recall. To make a long story short -- I called on the Tech Center (Chrysler) for an auto supplier and I own a Durango that had the ball joint problem. They designed the Durango off the Dakota line and decided to jump on the SUV band wagon when the Ford Explorer was selling well. My first set of ball joints went out at 44K miles; I paid $600 to replace them and Dodge picked up the rest. The top ***** are a metal on metal design and some up and coming manager decided to remove the grease fitting to save costs. Grease turns to liquid at about 10K miles and they wear out every 20K miles or so. Quickly, Dodge put back the grease fitting in the lower *****, but not the upper, so now I am on my 3rd set of ball joints (Moog), but they even reduced the warranty from life to one year. Moogs have grease fittings and are a better design. Ball joints are undersized for the Dakota besides the extra weight of the rear hatch plus metal for SUV. I contacted Dodge and sent them an email that showed how the ball joint P/Ns for the Dakota and the Durango were the same along with some equations to prove my point. I asked that they pay for my second set of ball joint replacements, but they declined. I sent the same email to NHTSA and three weeks later the recall was on. Pay now or pay later I think I said. Be sure to grease the ball joints every other oil change and do not let an inexperienced technician (Jiffy Lube) over-grease them so that they either pack them too tight or blow a boot.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well thanks for keeping us safe. I did read your story years ago.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:10 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

When you replace the ball joints do they just pop out of the control arm? or are they part of it so you will have to renew the whole thing?

Quick Reply: ball joints on first gen durango