1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Time for some new brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some new brakes!

What company brake pads and rotors do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about getting slotted rotors and perhaps ceramic brake pads to minimize dust and rotor wear? What is the best type of brake pad for a suv like the durango?

About how many miles would one change his rear drum brakes? most of the braking is done on the front wheels so I'm guessing the drum brakes don't wear out that fast?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

It depends on the mileage and type of driving. At the very least I would inspect the rear drums and shoes at every brake change. I had a Cherokee that I never had to change the rears, but I purchased the shoes with every brake job, pulled the rotors and inspected. Found the shoes and drums were good so I returned them. I don't know about the slotted rotors but I definitely am a +2 on the ceramic pads. I have had pretty good luck with my AutoZone C-MAX easy to install, and long lasting. The C-max also reduces brake dust on the front.

As for how often, well you may laugh but I am more conservative. I pull the wheels and inspect about every 5000 miles. My cherokee with rear drums got inspected usually every other inspection, so 10K but again depends on your driving habits. You are correct most of the braking is done with the front but that leads to rear brakes getting overlooked.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

oh ok thanks. and i'm just looking for some pads and rotors that will work great for everyday driving, and weekend trail runs and some offroading.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 AM
SadikOne1
Rookie

go BAER =]

Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally like the AZ duralast gold brake pads and valucraft rotors. + whatever on checking yoru rears at the same time.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwilliwizard
...minimize dust and rotor wear?...

i lol'd at this one, and here is why, regular (semi-metallic) brake pads create more dust bc it is the brake pad material that wears away, ceramic pads create LESS dust bc they are eating up the rotor, you will run high wear on something because lets face it, something has to give in order for the friction to be there and the friction is what stops the truck.

now also keep in mind that the rear drums do almost no work (unfortunately) so they need to be inspected, but usually not replaced, i have 90k on the stock drums, my dads 96 dak have 120k on the stock drums (btw im on my third set of front pads, the first set lasted almost 50k and then my dad insisted on changing them when my wheel bearing went out bc he didnt think it was the wheel bearing, so he wasted time/money changing breaks that were still fine)

now for brake brand everyone has there favorite, we run raybestos (i think) and they have been good to us with just semi-metallic pads and normal solid rotors,

btw i have found that keeping the rear drums adjusted a little tighter than where they are at the factory reduces front brake weak and the chances of warping the rotors

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on keeping the rears tighter. Helps with brake feel as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Trapstud
Professional

I have the duralast gold brand also. Very happy with them. Not a bad price either.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Thought I'd throw my two cents in for anyone that does any towing. Hawk LTS of SuperDuty pads are great for towing with the SuperDuty pads being the more aggressive of two. I've had the SuperDuty pads on (fronts only) and it has good stopping power around town and great bite when you need that extra stopping power.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Time for some new brakes!