1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power window assembly issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
packarat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window assembly issue

I did the required search and did not find anything related to my problem.

A year ago the drivers side window slowly slid down and could not be brought back up using the controls. Being this is the wife's car, once I got home I discovered that a plastic connection on the cable had broken. The cables themselves were tangled up, most likely due to trying to raise and lower the window. Once everything was untangled I raised the window manually. I then used many zip ties to hold the window in place.

Since my Dakota had just recently been broken into we thought it was either vandals or something similar, we were wrong. About a week later the backseat passenger window did something similar. Once again when I got home the untanglement began and zip ties were used. About a month later the passenger side window did the same. A week after that the backseat/driver side as well. Twice again it was a plastic connection on the cable. The zip tie dance was agin used in both instances. My wife now has four windows that do not function. At least you can see through them.

I have looked for recalls and even called Dodge. Dodge directed us to a dealer who was willing to take a look at $100 a window. This was just to look at the issue with a slight chance that Dodge would foot the bill. Seems pretty high for something I would call systemic.

At this point I just need to get them fixed. I have found a resonably priced replacement power window assembly. with the tight area to work in I am dreading the work.

This leads me to why I am writing. Does anyone here have any best practices for this replacement? Does anyone have a cable diagram of how these are routed through the inside of the door? Any other ideas beside replacing the entire assembly?

2001 Dodge Durango SLT

Last edited by packarat; 01-13-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

This happened to me a couple months back but only on the side that is always exposed to sun. I don't know if the sun and constant heat has something to do with it but maybe. The plastic clips that the wire connects to are really crappy. IMO dodge should do a recall and put in a better assembly cause its annoying as hell. If you take the inside door panel off completely you should be able to see everything it's pretty straight forward. all I did was fit the end of the wire back into where its supposed to go on the clip and then i used some copper wire to hold it in place, i wrapped the copper wire around the clip and the end piece of the wire that goes to the window and motor. So far its been holding up nicely. so long story short. Just put the end of the wire back into the broken clip as best as you can and wrap it with something so that the end of the wire is sitting firmly into what ever is left of the clip. You could use zip ties to hold the wire to the clip. should work like brand new.

Last edited by mrwilliwizard; 01-14-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May I suggest some kind of crimp joints to replace the plastic ones? I don't know what the plastic ones look like cause my windows have not died on me, yet.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

They are just white looking wimpy things that to decide to snap at inconvenient times.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

I had a feeling that's what they were. How about something like the aluminum end cap for bike brake lines? You thing they would work?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

hmmm. It might work if you can lodge it into the rest of the clip. then for reassurance wrap it in some wire lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

There ya go! If all else fails... duct tape and zip ties!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

lmao!!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 AM
packarat

First thank you for the replies...

Mrwilliwizard, taking off the panel is the easy part. Moving around in the door is the hard part. It is hard to even see what I am doing, much less know how the cable is threaded through. When you say "inside door panel" is it possible to remove the painted "steel" portion that is underneath the door panel?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

yea i meant panel. I just remembered yea its a pain with those bars and other stuff in the way. I don't think there is a way to remove the steel panel after the door trim. Unfortunately for you all of your windows have the same problem so you cant look at one for reference :/. If i remember correctly the wire should be going in a simple path starting through the motor up and along "plastic guides" and then back down to the clip thats connected to the window assembly. I'll try and look at how mine is set up tomorrow if it's not raining to badly. Just look and see if you locate any guides along the assembly that look like a wire could go in between them.

Quick Reply: Power window assembly issue