1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help with electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 PM
rjkeyser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with electric problem

hi, i have a 99 durango slt, i am now experiencing a problem where the dome light and door ajar light will only come on with the drivers door or rear hatch, the dome light and door ajar light will NOT come on with any of the passenger doors. also, when the security system is armed, you can open every door except the drivers door and rear hatch, and the lights will stay off and no alarm will sound. Please help as this is a very important feature

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a CTM to me I would guess.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea probably the CTM,
but you could check and see if the wires going to all the doors are on one plug into the CTM and maybe that plug is loose if not the CTM is bad

Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM
rjkeyser

How much would a new ctm cost? Can i get a used one? Were at? Are they vehicle specific, engine, options, tranny, tcase, things like that. Were is it located and how do you get at it? Thankyou so far for your help

Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
rjkeyser
Post Courtesy lamp inoperable

This may or may not be related but the little light around the key doesnt work either, i have tried two new bulbs and still nothing, anyone have any ideas on that?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The other 3 doors do go to the CTM on a single wire. Could just have a cut wire.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Dislander
Professional

since it sounds like the primary functions of the ctm are working I would get a wiring diagram & check the circut for the other doors. as Tizzy1 sugjested. A factory service manual or access to all data, you can subscribe as an individual at a much reduced rate, is what you need, read wiring diagrams.

With the diagram you will also be able to find the end sources for the other light your looking for.

I dont have access to the diagrams on this comp but someone else might & be able to post it for you.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
rjkeyser
Cool update Fixed!

Ok guys, thanks everyone for there help, i was able to fix the problem, but for future refrence, when you put in a new ctm or even a used ctm, they DO HAVE TO be reprogramed to your vehicle through the obdII port via computer in order to start and run the vehicle, this reprograming allows the security system to operate correctly thus the car opperating correctly. ok, any how, the problem was not the ctm, i bought a used one, unreturnable of coarse, put it in and had it programed, no luck, the lights still wouldnt work, so i got the dealers 99 durango repair manuel and traced the wiring diagrams and found that a 3 into 1 wire splice near the drivers door jamb was bad, repaired it and all was well, as far as the around key light, no luck, but a good extra ctm, and $300 later, and i have working door switches, lights, alarms, and security. Thanks again guys, drive hard

Quick Reply: Help with electric problem